Shipyards

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Shipyards

Equivalent terms

Shipyards

Associated terms

Shipyards

19 Collections results for Shipyards

19 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

General Arrangement of Shipyard, Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation

A blueprint map of the shipyard for Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation. The Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation was a shipyard managed by Kaiser Shipbuilding Corporation during World War II. The shipyard built Liberty and Victory ships for the U. S. Maritime Commission between 1941 and 1944. The plans are dated Dec. 14, 1944 with revisions noted March 14, 1945. The document is a blueline print mounted on cloth.

Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation

The Bo's'n's Whistle

  • BW-OSC
  • Collection
  • 1941 - 1946

The Bo's'n's Whistle was a publication distributed to the employees of the Kaiser Shipyards in Oregon and Washington between 1941 and 1946. The first publication was released on July 18, 1941 under the editorial direction of Chick Johnson, and was given its distinctive name by Edgar Kaiser the General Manager of the shipyard. Subsequent issues released bi-weekly, along with a special issue on September 27, 1941 commemorating the launch of the "Star of Oregon". Distribution expanded to the Vancouver and Swan Island Shipyards in April 1942, with Hal Babbit, director of public relations for Kaiser Company serving as editorial supervisor.

The format of the Bo's'n's Whistle changed from a magazine to a weekly newspaper beginning March 10, 1944, with separate editions for each of the three shipyards - Oregon Shipyard, Swan Island, and Vancouver. On September 7, 1945 The Bo's'n's Whistle was again consolidated into one edition for all three shipyards, and on January 1, 1946 it was moved to a twice-monthly publication schedule. The final issue of The Bo's'n's Whistle was published on May 24, 1946. At its peak, The Bo's'n's Whistle was circulated to 90,000 employees, with over 4,000,000 copies distributed over its lifespan.

Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation

Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation, under construction

Two workhorses at the Oregon Shipyard Corporation during construction. They are standing next to a truck with “Gilpin construction” painted on the side. Wood and other construction materials can be seen in the background (negative 10 of 16).

Monner, Al (Alfred Anthony), 1909-1998

Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation, under construction

Equipment on railroad tracks at Oregon Shipyard Corporation during construction. A crane on a train car with “Hauser Construction Co.” on the side can be seen next to be another crane set on a wider train track. A tall industrial building is behind the cranes, with “Terminal No. 4” written across the top (negative 11 of 16).

Monner, Al (Alfred Anthony), 1909-1998

Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation, under construction

A two-story building for Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation, with automobiles parked in a gravel lot. At the far end of the building is a large sign that reads “Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation” (negative 2 of 16).

Monner, Al (Alfred Anthony), 1909-1998

Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation, under construction

Photograph taken from a high vantage point and looking down towards a construction area for the Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation. Raised docks, piles of lumber, and cleared dirt areas can be seen throughout the site, with the Willamette River in the background (negative 3 of 16).

Monner, Al (Alfred Anthony), 1909-1998

Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation, under construction

Construction of a wooden dock at the Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation. The photograph is looking down laid wooden planking towards the Willamette River, where a group of men stand. Industrial facilities and smoke stacks can be seen at the opposite side of the river (negative 4 of 16).

Monner, Al (Alfred Anthony), 1909-1998