Orphanages

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Orphanages

Equivalent terms

Orphanages

Associated terms

Orphanages

3 Collections results for Orphanages

3 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Waverly Baby Home, Southeast Woodward Street, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior and entrance of the Waverly Baby Home on Southeast Woodward Street between Southeast 35th and Southeast 36th avenues. Three vehicles are parked on Woodward in front of the building. The photograph was taken from Southeast 35th Place and the view is to the south. The text “Waverly Home” is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the image.

Earl Riley, Grace Meier, L. E. Kern, and Rufus C. Holman at dedication of Waverly Baby Home, Portland

Photograph showing (from left) Earl Riley, Oregon first lady Grace Meier, L. E. Kern, and Rufus C. Holman at the dedication of the new Waverly Baby Home building in Portland on November 28, 1931. They are standing in front of the building’s cornerstone, which has not yet been placed, and Meier is holding a bouquet of flowers. A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 371N3021 were published on Page 4 of the Oregon Journal on November 29, 1931, under the headline “New Home for Babies Dedicated.” This photograph had the following caption: “From left, Earl Riley, city commissioner; Mrs. Julius L. Meier receiving bouquet from L. E. Kern, president of the board of trustees of the Waverly Baby home, and State Treasurer Rufus C. Holman, at the dedication of the new $115,000 home for parentless waifs Saturday. Riley represented the city and Holmes for the state.” The photographs accompanied the continuation of a front-page story about the opening of the new building.

Oregon first lady Grace Meier with cornerstone at dedication of Waverly Baby Home, Portland

Photograph showing Oregon first lady Grace Meier posing with a trowel and the cornerstone of the new Waverly Baby Home building at a dedication ceremony on November 28, 1931. Inscribed on the cornerstone are the words “THE BABY HOME / ERECTED 1931.” A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 371N3009 were published on Page 4 of the Oregon Journal on November 29, 1931, under the headline “New Home for Babies Dedicated.” This photograph had the following caption: “Mrs. Meier laying the cornerstone.” The photographs accompanied the continuation of a front-page story about the opening of the new building.