Org. Lot 791 - 1944
Name and location of repository
Level of description
Photo Art Commercial Studio photographs
- 1944 (Creation)
1000 cubic feet
Name of creator
Name of creator
Content and structure elements
Scope and content
The Photo Art Commercial Studio Collection represents the work of one of Portland’s premiere commercial photography firms. The collection consists of hundreds of thousands of negatives, plus prints, slides, and film footage, from 1936 to 1998. This exceptional collection is rich in Northwest scenic views, portraits, photographs of community events and organizations, and business products and operations. Prominent Northwest photographers, such as Ray Atkeson, photographed for the studio.
Photo Art Studios was opened in 1925 by Claude F. Palmer who had operated a small photo studio as a teenager. Photo Art began as a photofinishing operation, expanding in later years to commercial and advertising photography, motion pictures, and photo murals. In 1959, John Patterson, an Oregonian who was studying photography, joined the staff of Photo Art. In 1965, Patterson became a partner in the business with Claude Palmer; Patterson assumed full ownership in 1978 after Palmer’s retirement.
System of arrangement
Materials are arranged by image numbers provided by Photo-Art Commercial Studios at the time of donation.
Conditions of access and use elements
Conditions governing access
Access to original photographic negatives is restricted. Contact email@example.com or call 503-306-5240 for more information.
Conditions governing reproduction
In Copyright http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Languages of the material
Scripts of the material
Language and script notes
Acquisition and appraisal elements
Immediate source of acquisition
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information
Related materials elements
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related archival materials
- Citation: Photo Art Commercial Studio photographs, Org. Lot 791, Oregon Historical Society Research Library.