Multnomah County (Or.)

Taxonomy

Code

45.54687, -122.41534 Map of Multnomah County (Or.)

Scope note(s)

Display note(s)

Equivalent terms

Multnomah County (Or.)

Associated terms

Multnomah County (Or.)

419 Collections results for Multnomah County (Or.)

Broadway looking north from Salmon

Street scene photograph taken during the Portland Rose Festival from street level, looking north on SW Broadway from SW Salmon Street. In the distance, the Journal Building (now Jackson Tower) is visible on the right side of the street. Several signs are strung over the street, including for the “Orpheum Vaudeville,” “Hippodrome,” “Baker Theater,” and “Liberty Theater.” Automobiles line both sides of the street, and two street cars can be seen in the distance.

Broadway north from Electric Building

Street scene photograph taken during the Portland Rose Festival from a high vantage point from the Electric Building at 621 SW Alder Street, looking north. Street cars and automobiles are visible on the street. Signs for “Western Union Theater,” “Liberty Theater,” and “Bronson’s” are visible. Evergreen boughs are strung between streetlights, and two American flags hang at the front of the frame.

Bugler outside central library, Portland

Full-length portrait of an unidentified young woman playing a bugle. She is in profile, facing left, outside the central library in downtown Portland. She is wearing a long-sleeved blouse and breeches, and has one kerchief over her hair and another around her neck.

Cable car

Photograph showing a cable car, with four men looking at the camera. Two of the men stand on the train while two stand in front. A large sign behind the train reads “Henry the Fourth, Choicest Havana Cigars.” On the side of the train is written “Portland Railway Company” and “Alder, Fifth, Jefferson and Chapman Sts.” The photograph is a reproduction of a pinned image (pins can be seen on the frame)

Cable car at Chapman and Jefferson

Photograph showing cable car function at Jefferson and Chapman. Three cable cars and numerous individuals are visible. In the background, several wooden houses can be seen. On the front of the center car is written “Portland Heights” and on the side of the rightmost train “Alder, Fifth, Jefferson, and Chapman.” The photograph is a reproduction of a pinned image (pins can be seen on the frame) with the caption “Junction Pt. At Chapman and Jefferson 15 years ago – All cable cars.”

Cable car, during flood

Photograph showing a cable car during the “Great Flood of Portland” in 1894. Several men and women sit in the car, and four men stand in the water, all looking at the camera. On the right side, a woman and a baby are visible. The photograph is a reproduction of a pinned image (pins can be seen on the frame), and the caption reads “Photos, of the Great Flood of Portland, Or. June 4th 1894.” Also on the caption is written “Pro. G. L. Eastman Cor, First and Taylor Streets.”

Captain J. Yawata of ocean liner Anyo Maru

Head and shoulders portrait of Captain J. Yawata of the ocean liner Anyo Maru. He is facing to the right and is wearing a visor cap and overcoat. The photograph was probably taken on January 17, 1921, when the Anyo Maru was in Portland. The text “Anyo Maru and Capt. J. Yawata” is written on the negative sleeve. See related image Nos. 376G0118 and 376G0119.

Captain J. Yawata of ocean liner Anyo Maru

Full-length portrait of Captain J. Yawata of the ocean liner Anyo Maru. He is facing to the right and is wearing an overcoat and visor cap. The photograph was probably taken on January 17, 1921, when the Anyo Maru was in Portland. The text “Anyo Maru and Capt. J. Yawata” is written on the negative sleeve. See related image Nos. 376G0117 and 376G0118.

Car #700, Sellwood

Photograph of street car #700, with conductor standing at front window pointing straight. Written on the front of the train is a sign saying “Portland Car Service is Unsurpassed,” and “Sellwood” is indicated at the top. A small kiosk building is visible on the right side of the frame. The photograph is a reproduction of a pinned image (pins can be seen on the frame), with the caption “Modern P-A-Y-E Car.”

Cattle in stockyard at Union Meat Company

Photograph showing cattle in pens at the Union Meat Company stockyard in North Portland. In the background at right is the Union Meat plant. The number 46 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper right corner. It is written next to the number 147, which has been crossed out. See related image No. 376G0339 and image No. 376G0340, which may also be related.

Colonel R. B. Lister and unidentified man in Portland

Full-length portrait of two men standing on the sidewalk outside a building and facing one another. The man at left, United States Army Colonel R. B. Lister, is wearing an overcoat and visor cap. The man at right is waring an overcoat and hat. The photograph was taken on Friday, February 20, 1920, while Lister was in Portland during a tour to inspect schools under the Reserve Officer Training Corps. The Oregon Journal published a different photograph from Lister’s visit, image No. 376G0367, and a story on Page 15 of the February 20 city edition.

Colonel R. B. Lister on visit to Portland

Half-length portrait of a man facing front. He is wearing glasses, an overcoat, and United States Army visor cap. The name “Col. R. B. Lister” is written on the negative and is visible on the right side of the image. A story and a cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 15 of the Oregon Journal city edition on Friday, February 20, 1920, under the headline “Officers Training Inspector Arrives.” The photograph had the caption “Colonel R. B. Lister.” The story reported that Lister had arrived that morning on a tour to inspect schools under the Reserve Officer Training Corps. The Journal reported that he was met by Joseph A. Hill and Colonel W. H. C. Bowen of the Hill Military Academy and conducted an inspection at the academy. See related image No. 376G0368.

Congress Hotel building, 6th and Main, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the eight-story Congress Hotel building at Sixth and Main streets (now Southwest 6th Avenue and Southwest Main Street) in Portland. The number 42 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the image. The text “Congress Hotel / Portland, Building” is written on the negative sleeve.

Convent of the Good Shepherd

Photograph showing the Convent of the Good Shepherd under construction on Dekum Avenue (now North Dekum Street) in Portland in February 1917. The building is now the Rosemont Court apartments. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 8, Section 2, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, February 18, 1917, under the headline “Convent Of The Good Shepherd.” The photograph had the following caption: “The new $135,000 home of the industrial school for girls, maintained by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd, is expected to be ready for occupancy in March. The structure is fireproof throughout, built of reinforced concrete and hollow tile, with a facing of red tapestry brick. The trees in the foreground are part of an old prune orchard that formerly covered the entire site of the building. As many of the trees have been left as possible.” The photograph accompanied a story headlined “Industrial School for Girls Will Be Occupied in March.” The story included the following information about the purpose of the school: “The ordinary work of the grammar schools is paralleled as far as the ninth grade. From that grade on the school is divided, half being devoted to the usual scholastic studies and half to industrial education. The girls are taught the best methods of housework, cooking, laundry work and all such practical subjects. Those who show aptitude for music receive training in this branch, and voices that show promise are cultivated. One of the most important phases of the work of the convent is the care of wayward and refractory girls who are beyond the control of their parents or guardians. Many of the wards of the convent are brought there by their parents for their refusal to attend the public schools. Others are committed to the school by the juvenile court, and still others come of their own free will to derive the benefits of the industrial education.” Image note: The text “Home of Good Shepard [sic]” and the number 167 are written on the negative and are visible in the lower right corner of the image.

Crown of Seville moored in Portland

Photograph showing a ship, the Crown of Seville, moored at a pier on the Willamette River in Portland. The text “S. S. Crown of Seville” is written on the negative sleeve. See related image No. 376G0128. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Results 29 to 56 of 419