Multnomah County (Or.)

Taxonomy

Code

45.54687, -122.41534 Map of Multnomah County (Or.)

Scope note(s)

Display note(s)

Equivalent terms

Multnomah County (Or.)

Associated terms

Multnomah County (Or.)

1442 Collections results for Multnomah County (Or.)

Earl Riley, Grace Meier, L. E. Kern, and Rufus C. Holman at dedication of Waverly Baby Home, Portland

Photograph showing (from left) Earl Riley, Oregon first lady Grace Meier, L. E. Kern, and Rufus C. Holman at the dedication of the new Waverly Baby Home building in Portland on November 28, 1931. They are standing in front of the building’s cornerstone, which has not yet been placed, and Meier is holding a bouquet of flowers. A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 371N3021 were published on Page 4 of the Oregon Journal on November 29, 1931, under the headline “New Home for Babies Dedicated.” This photograph had the following caption: “From left, Earl Riley, city commissioner; Mrs. Julius L. Meier receiving bouquet from L. E. Kern, president of the board of trustees of the Waverly Baby home, and State Treasurer Rufus C. Holman, at the dedication of the new $115,000 home for parentless waifs Saturday. Riley represented the city and Holmes for the state.” The photographs accompanied the continuation of a front-page story about the opening of the new building.

Oregon first lady Grace Meier with cornerstone at dedication of Waverly Baby Home, Portland

Photograph showing Oregon first lady Grace Meier posing with a trowel and the cornerstone of the new Waverly Baby Home building at a dedication ceremony on November 28, 1931. Inscribed on the cornerstone are the words “THE BABY HOME / ERECTED 1931.” A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 371N3009 were published on Page 4 of the Oregon Journal on November 29, 1931, under the headline “New Home for Babies Dedicated.” This photograph had the following caption: “Mrs. Meier laying the cornerstone.” The photographs accompanied the continuation of a front-page story about the opening of the new building.

Dedication of giant air-mail box at 6th and Morrison, Portland

Photograph showing a small crowd at the dedication of a huge air-mail collection box on the corner of what is now Southwest Sixth Avenue and Southwest Morrison Street. Standing in front of the box and holding a large prop key are Dr. L. T. Jones (left), president of the Portland Exchange Club, and John M. Jones, Portland postmaster. The box was set up by the exchange club to collect mail that would be carried east by the Varney air-mail service. The box was equipped with a loudspeaker to broadcast messages about air mail. The dedication took place on September 3, 1929.

Unveiling of David Campbell memorial, Portland

Photograph showing a crowd of seated people at the memorial to Portland Fire Chief David Campbell during the monument’s unveiling on Thursday, June 28, 1928. The memorial is between Southwest Alder Street and Southwest 18th and 19th avenues. Campbell was killed on June 26, 1911, while fighting a fire at the Union Oil distribution plant. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 2 of the Oregon Journal on Friday, June 29, 1928, under the headline “Statue Unveiled to City’s Firemen Dead.” The photograph had the following caption: “Cenotaph’s formal presentation to the city marks exact hour of 17 years ago when Fire Chief David Campbell was buried. This memorial at 19th and Washington streets [sic], is a tribute to him and all firemen who have died in line of duty.” The photograph accompanied a story headlined “Myrtyred [sic] Chief Honored; Statue to Him Unveiled.”

Unidentified group at fire chiefs’ convention?

Photograph showing a group of unidentified people standing in two rows outside Portland City Hall, possibly at a fire chiefs’ convention. Most of the people in the photograph are wearing suits and ties; some are in uniform. On the building behind them is a banner with an emblem and the words “FIRE CHIEFS WELCOME” on it. See related image No. 371N3058. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Fire at Pacific Stationery and Printing Company, Portland

Photograph of smoke pouring out of the the upper windows of the Pacific Stationery and Printing Co. building in Portland on July 29, 1926. Firefighters are gathered on the ground in front of the building and are climbing ladders to the upper windows. A cropped version of this photograph was published on the front page of the Oregon Journal on Thursday, July 29, 1926, under the headline "Down-Town Fire Endangers Employes' Lives" (sic). The photograph had the following caption: "Photograph taken during the height of the fire at the Pacific Stationery & Printing Co.'s plant, No. 107 Second street, this afternoon. Loss in paper stock, office furniture and damage to the building was heavy. Some employes [sic], cut off by burning stairways, escaped by dropping to the roof of an adjoining building. Huge noon-hour crowds were attracted to the fire which was spectacular." The photograph accompanied a story titled "Fire Hits Printing Company." According to the story, one firefighter was injured and the financial loss from the fire was estimated at $185,000. The stationery company was located in downtown Portland on what is now Southwest 2nd Avenue between Southwest Washington and Southwest Harvey Milk streets.

Portland? firefighters manning hoses

Photograph showing unidentified firefighters, probably from the Portland Fire Department, standing in a street and holding several hoses that are spraying water toward the left, at a target outside the frame. The firefighter in the center is wearing a helmet with a large number 1 on the front. Above the 1 are the words “FIRE BOAT,” and below it are the letters “PFD.”

Firefighter? on ladder above crowd

Photograph showing an unidentified man, possibly a firefighter, on a ladder extending horizontally over a crowd of people standing in the street, probably in downtown Portland. A brass band is in the background on the right. A sign for a Charles F. Berg store is visible on a building in the background on the left.

Bill Genn, Oregon State Police

Half-length portrait of a man facing front and wearing an Oregon State Police uniform and badge. He is standing outside the Journal Building (now the Jackson Tower) in Portland. The name “Bill Genn” is written on the negative and is visible at the top of the image.

Bill Genn, Oregon State Police

Head and shoulders portrait of a man facing front and wearing an Oregon State Police uniform and badge. He is standing outside the Journal Building (now the Jackson Tower) in Portland. The name Bill Genn is written on the negative and is visible at the top of the image.

Multnomah County Sheriff Martin Pratt awarding title of honorary deputy to Oregon Journal editor B. F. Irvine

Photograph showing Multnomah County Sheriff Martin Pratt (left) pinning a badge (not visible) to the lapel of Oregon Journal editor Benjamin Franklin Irvine. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 21 of the Oregon Journal on January 22, 1932, under the headline “Sheriff of 36 Counties.” The photograph had the following caption: “B. F. Irvine, editor of The Journal, being presented with a gold star by Sheriff Martin Pratt, making him an honorary deputy sheriff in all of Oregon’s counties, in appreciation of his work in supporting peace officers.” Image note: The name “B. F. Irvine” is written on the negative and is faintly visible at the bottom of the image.

Results 1429 to 1442 of 1442