Multnomah County (Or.)

Taxonomy

Code

45.54687, -122.41534 Map of Multnomah County (Or.)

Scope note(s)

Display note(s)

Equivalent terms

Multnomah County (Or.)

Associated terms

Multnomah County (Or.)

37 Collections results for Multnomah County (Or.)

Rooftop view of downtown Portland and Hawthorne Bridge

Photograph, taken from a high angle and looking toward the southeast, showing buildings in downtown Portland and the Hawthorne Bridge in the distance. In the foreground is the building occupied by the Jenning's furniture store at 5th and Washington streets (now Southwest 5th Avenue and Southwest Washington street). In the distance at center, just to the right of the bridge, is the Yeon Building.

Parrish building, Front and Washington, Portland

Photograph showing two trucks parked outside the three-story Parrish building at Front and Washington (now Southwest Washington Street) in Portland. On the ground floor are signs for the Western Fruit & Produce Company and the Tri-State Produce Company. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Southwest corner Front & Washington streets. Site of the first post office [in Portland].” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5418, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy

View of 6th Street, downtown Portland, facing north

Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing traffic and buildings along 6th Street (now Southwest 6th Avenue) in Portland. The intersection toward the bottom is 6th and Morrison Street (now Southwest Morrison Street). At lower left is the Portland Hotel, and at center left is the Northwestern National Bank Building (now the American Bank Building). At center right is the Meier and Frank Building. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Demolition of Portland High School building

Photograph showing demolition of the tower of the Portland High School building on August 11, 1928. Heavy trucks pulled down the tower with lines attached to the building. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 9 of the Oregon Journal on August 12, 1928, under the headline “School Tower Razed.” The photograph had the following caption: “Saturday the ornate tower that has thrust upward from the old Portland high school at 14th and Morrison streets was pulled down by workmen wrecking the building. It has become endeared to thousands since its erection in 1883.” Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

View of Broadway, downtown Portland

Photograph showing buildings along Broadway (now Southwest Broadway) in Portland, including the New Heathman Hotel, the Broadway Theatre, and the Journal Building (at center right, with clock at top, now known as the Jackson Tower). The view is to the north. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to negative damage.

Carstens Packing Company, Front Street, Portland

Photograph, taken from across the street, showing a truck parked outside a three-story brick building on Front Street between Stark and Washington in downtown Portland. A sign on the front of the building reads “Carstens Packing Co.” A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Original home of Ladd & Tilton Bank on Front Street / The first two stories were Portland’s first brick building / Built in 1853.” Wharton reported that the third story had been added later. See related image Nos. 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy

Results 29 to 37 of 37