Showing 119 results

Collections
Oregon Schools English
Print preview View:

119 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Aerial photograph of Campus, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1957-1958

Black and white photograph of the campus of the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location and the surrounding neighborhoods. The buildings that make up the school fill the center of the photograph, with the surrounding neighborhood in the background and farmland in the foreground. The school has occupied this location since 1910. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Oregon State School for the Deaf campus, 1957-58 Salem Ore." The Oregon State School for the Deaf was the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Beauty Class, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1944-1946

A blurry black and white photograph of girls and women in a room set up like a beauty salon. On the right is a girl getting her nails done, on the left is a girl getting a haircut. In the back are two girls with their head in hair dryer hoods and one girl getting her hair washed. The Beauty Shop class only lasted two years. A note written on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD beauty class 1944 to 1946". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boy reading in classroom

A boy sits at a desk in a classroom, holding an open book and reading. A girl sits at another desk in the background. This image was likely taken by staff of the Valley Migrant League's Opportunity News circa 1965 - 1968.

Boys Basketball Team Formal Photograph, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1945-1946

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's boys basketball team in 1945-46. The photograph shows twelve teenage male students in letterman jackets, smiling at the camera. Standing (left to right): Lyle Blakely, Richard Randolph, James Jackson, Robert Dennis, Royal Teets, Billy Foren, Ervin Shepard. Seated (left to right): Morris Harrison, Danny Heiken, Delbert Kessler, Teddy Ellison, Gordon Garboden. One of the boys holds a basketball with "45-46" written on it. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD boys basketball team 1945-46". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boys Basketball Team Practice, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1917

Black and White photograph showing the Oregon School for the Deaf boys basketball team practicing in the gym in the Polytechnic Building. The photograph shows twelve students and one instructor standing in a gym with their arms outstretched. One student is identified as "Edwin". On the back of the photograph is a handwritten note that reads "Salem Deaf School basketball team -1917"

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boys Basketball Team, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1907-1908

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's boys basketball team in 1907-08. The photograph shows six male students and their coach standing on a set of stairs. One of the boys is holding a ball that say "'07-8" on it. Front row (left to right): Francis Brickly, Frank Emerick, Benjamin Wallace. 2nd row (left to right): Fred Propst, Leslie Tichenor, Charles Lynch. Back: Thure Lindstrom (coach). The picture is mounted on a dark green mat. Below the photograph is text that reads "OSD Basketball team, 1907-8 T.A. Lindstrom, coach." On the back of the photograph is a handwritten note that reads "Basketball 1907-08. T. A. Lindstrom coach. O.S.S.D on Turner Rd". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boys Basketball Team, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1927

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's boys basketball team in 1927. The photograph shows seven teenage male students, five standing and two kneeling, all wearing shorts and tank tops. A basketball with "1927" written on it sits in the grass between the two kneeling students. Written on the photograph is text that reads: "Oregon State Deaf" and "18 straight wins". Standing (left to right): Francis Holmes, John Spath, Lloyd Hudson, John Powell, Otis Collins. Kneeling: Lyle McQuary, Stewart Turnbull. The photograph is mounted on a light red mat. Below the photograph is typed text that reads "OSD Boys' basketball team, 1927."

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boys Basketball Team, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1945-1946

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's boys basketball team in 1945-46. The photograph shows twelve teenage male students in letterman jackets, smiling at the camera. Back row (left to right): Lyle Blakely, Ervin Shepard, Danny Heiken. Middle row (left to right): Morris Harrison, Delbert Kessler, Teddy Ellison, Gordon Garboden. Front row (left to right): Richard Randolph, James Jackson, Robert Dennis, Royal Teets, Billy Foren. One of the boys holds a basketball with "45-46" written on it. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "O.S.S.D boys' basketball team 1945-46". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boys Basketball Team, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1946-1947

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's boys basketball team in 1946-47. The photograph shows nine teenage male students, four kneel on the ground and five stand behind them. Two kneeling students hold a basketball. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads "O.S.S.D. boys' basketball team 1946-47". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boy's Dormitory from Ground, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1957

A black and white photograph of Lindstrom Hall, the new Boy's Dormitory of the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location in 1957. The school has occupied this location since 1910. The photograph is taken from the ground near the building. The ground is unlandscaped and there are a few trees around the building. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Salem Ore OSSD New Boys' Dormitory, completed August 1957, named Lindstrom Hall (honoring Dr. T. A. Lindstrom, deaf teacher of 48 years - 1906-1954)". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boy's Dormitory from Roof of Nearby Building, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1957

A black and white photograph of Lindstrom Hall, the new boy's dormitory of the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location. The school has occupied this location since 1910. The photograph is taken from the roof of the building next to it, looking down on the dormitory. The building forms a zig-zag shape and is two stories tall. Sprinklers water the lawn around it. It was named after T.A. Lindstrom, a long time teacher at the school. A note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD's new boys dormitory, completed 1957, as "Lindstrom Hall". " OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boys Study Hour, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1918

Black and white photograph of the boys study hall at the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location. The school has occupied this location since 1910. The photograph shows several older male students reading books in a room with a large table at its center. The photograph is mounted on a dark green mat. Text below the photograph reads "Boys' study hour, 1918." A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD boys in the study hall 1918". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Carpentry Class, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1922

A black and white photograph of a carpentry class at the Oregon School for the Deaf on Locust Street. Students stand working at various locations throughout the room. Machinery can be seen in the background while mostly finished furniture fills the foreground. The class was taught by John Carpenter (wearing light colored overalls standing next to the almost-finished bench). A note written on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD's new Industrial Arts and gym building 1922 (carpenter class). OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Central Campus and Buildings, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1922

A black and white photograph of the grounds of the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location in 1922. The school has occupied this location since 1910. The photograph includes the Main Building and School Building, with the Industrial Arts and gym in the background and the Superintendent's house in the foreground. It was taking from a height and is slightly out of focus. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Ore. School for the Deaf campus - 1922 The deaf pupil climbed the tall tree and took a picture."

Oregon School for the Deaf

Chapel, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1895

A black and white photograph of the inside of the chapel at the Oregon School for the Deaf on Turner Road in 1895. It shows a large room with a low stage in front and several rows of wooden chairs facing it. The walls are decorated with plant bouquets and portraits. The chapel would have been used for performances and events while the school occupied the Turner Road location from 1895-1910. The photograph is mounted on a dark green mat. Text under the photograph reads "Chapel, 1895." A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads "Oregon School for the Deaf chapel at Turner Rd. - Taken 1895"

Oregon School for the Deaf

Children Playing in the Snow, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1925-1926

Black and white photograph of four younger students playing in the snow on the grounds of the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location in 1925. Two are sitting down and two are standing beside them. All are facing the camera. Behind them can be seen the school's Steam Plant, Main Building, and one other building. The school has occupied this location since 1910. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Ore. State School for the Deaf Winter, 1925-26"

Oregon School for the Deaf

Class of 1949 Planting Their Fir Tree, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1949

Black and white photograph of eleven older students and two staff members standing around a freshly planted tree on the grounds of the Oregon School for the Deaf on Locust Street. Two students hold shovels, one is lifting dirt from the pile. They stand in front of a single story brick building. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD class of 1949 planted their fir tree and also the new Primary building opened in May, 1949. Thomas Ulmer, sponar [[sponsor]] and T. A. Lindstrom, sponar [[sponsor]]". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Columbia Preparatory school, Portland

Columbia Preparatory school building in Southwest Portland, at the Wilcox Estate. The two story building features shingle siding and window awnings. The school closed in 1955 (negative 1 of 2).

Monner, Al (Alfred Anthony), 1909-1998

Results 1 to 28 of 119