Showing 3458 results

Collections
Oregon Journal Photographic Negatives United States
Print preview View:

3451 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

St. Peter’s Dome and Rock of Ages, Columbia River Gorge

Photograph showing brush and forest below rock formations in the Columbia River Gorge near Dodson, Oregon. The formations are faintly visible in the background; at left is St. Peter’s Dome and at right is Rock of Ages. This photograph may be related to image Nos. 373G0358, 373G0360, and 379G0100. Image note: Damaged negative.

Portland Mayor George L. Baker congratulating police Captain John T. Moore on retirement

Photograph showing Portland Mayor George L. Baker shaking hands with Portland police Captain John T. Moore in the council chambers at City Hall on October 26, 1932. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 2 of the Oregon Journal home edition that day under the headline “39 Long Years of It.” The photograph had the following caption: “Mayor George L. Baker (standing at left) congratulating Captain John T. Moore, veteran police officer, on completion of his 39 years of service. Moore will retire November 1. At the right is Chief of Police [Leon V.] Jenkins. In front of the group are Sigel Grutze, deputy city auditor, who has had 42 years’ service with the city, and Mrs. George Houck, assistant clerk of the city council.” Image note: The text “Insp Moore” is written on the negative and is visible on the left side of the photograph.

Dr. C. U. Moore examining baby at Infant Welfare Association clinic, south Portland

Photograph showing Dr. C. U. Moore, medical director of a well-baby clinic in South Portland, listening to an unidentified baby’s lungs with a stethoscope. A cropped version of this photograph was one of two published on Page 12 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, January 16, 1921, under the headline “Keeping Babies Well.” The photographs had the caption: “Views of Infant Welfare association clinic in South Portland.” This photograph had the following additional caption information: “Dr. C. U. Moore making lung test.” The photographs accompanied a story with the headline “Better Babies Is Object Off [sic] Clinic Conducted Here” and the subheading “Skeptical at First, Mothers Fast Learning Their Infants Thrive as Result of Recommendations.” Image note: The text “Moore, Dr.” is written on the negative sleeve.

Man examining baby during eugenics test at Multnomah County Courthouse

Photograph showing an unidentified man examining an unidentified baby during a eugenics test at the Multnomah County Courthouse in Portland in April 1920. The man is holding a tongue depressor toward the baby’s open mouth. A cropped and reversed version of this photograph was published on Page 12, the Mother’s Forum, of the Oregon Journal city edition on Monday, April 12, 1920. The photograph had the following caption: “One of the several examinations given in the eugenics tests made at the Parents’ Educational bureau, 551 courthouse, every Wednesday. The tests are for mental and physical defects and advice is given for their correction.”

Prohibition agents S. F. Rutter, and J. P. Marstella in Portland

Photograph showing Federal Prohibition Field Agents S. F. Rutter of San Francisco and J. P. Marstella of Washington, D.C., standing at the bottom of a set of steps outside a building. They are looking at one another and smiling. This photograph was taken in March 1920 while Rutter and Marstella were visiting Portland to evaluate prohibition enforcement. The Oregon Journal published a related photograph, image No. 376G0193, and a story about Rutter and Marstella’s visit on Page 4 of the city edition on March 16, 1920. See additional related image No. 376G0191. Image note: Negative damage at upper right. The text “Prohibition officers” is written on the negative sleeve.

Prohibition agents Fred B. Curry, Johnson S. Smith, J. E. Flanders, S. F. Rutter, and J. P. Marstella in Portland

Photograph showing a group of men, all wearing suits and ties, gathered at the bottom of steps outside a building. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 4 of the Oregon Journal city edition on Tuesday, March 16, 1920, under the headline “Prohibition Agents Visit Portland.” The caption was: “Special prohibition field agents visit officials who are directing enforcement of national prohibition act in Oregon. From left—Federal Prohibition Inspector Fred B. Curry, Federal Prohibition Supervisor for Oregon Johnson S. Smith, Federal prohibition Agent J. E. Flanders and S. F. Rutter of San Francisco and J. P. Marstella of Washington, D. C., special prohibition agents touring the Pacific coast. The photograph accompanied a story, headlined “Dry Nation Has Come To Stay, Officials Say,” about Rutter and Marstella’s visit to Portland. See related image Nos. 376G0191 and 376G0192. Image note: The text “Prohibition office” is written on the negative sleeve.

Prohibition agents Fred B. Curry, Johnson S. Smith, J. E. Flanders, S. F. Rutter, and J. P. Marstella in Portland

Photograph showing a group of men, all wearing suits and ties, gathered at the bottom of steps outside a building. A similar photograph, image No. 376G0193, was published on Page 4 of the Oregon Journal city edition on Tuesday, March 16, 1920, under the headline “Prohibition Agents Visit Portland.” The caption was: “Special prohibition field agents visit officials who are directing enforcement of national prohibition act in Oregon. From left—Federal Prohibition Inspector Fred B. Curry, Federal Prohibition Supervisor for Oregon Johnson S. Smith, Federal prohibition Agent J. E. Flanders and S. F. Rutter of San Francisco and J. P. Marstella of Washington, D. C., special prohibition agents touring the Pacific coast. The photograph accompanied a story, headlined “Dry Nation Has Come To Stay, Officials Say,” about Rutter and Marstella's visit to Portland. See additional related image No. 376G0192. Image note: The text “Prohibition officers” is written on the negative sleeve.

Multnomah County Sheriff Martin Pratt awarding title of honorary deputy to Oregon Journal editor B. F. Irvine

Photograph showing Multnomah County Sheriff Martin Pratt (left) pinning a badge (not visible) to the lapel of Oregon Journal editor Benjamin Franklin Irvine. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 21 of the Oregon Journal on January 22, 1932, under the headline “Sheriff of 36 Counties.” The photograph had the following caption: “B. F. Irvine, editor of The Journal, being presented with a gold star by Sheriff Martin Pratt, making him an honorary deputy sheriff in all of Oregon’s counties, in appreciation of his work in supporting peace officers.” Image note: The name “B. F. Irvine” is written on the negative and is faintly visible at the bottom of the image.

Bill Genn, Oregon State Police

Half-length portrait of a man facing front and wearing an Oregon State Police uniform and badge. He is standing outside the Journal Building (now the Jackson Tower) in Portland. The name “Bill Genn” is written on the negative and is visible at the top of the image.

Firefighters on ladder, Pine Street, Portland

Photograph showing four firefighters on a ladder extending straight upward from a truck parked on Pine Street (now Southwest Pine Street) in Portland between Second and Third. The sides of the image have been masked out. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. It was one of seven photographs published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” This photograph had the following caption: “Auto Aerial Truck.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. See related image Nos. 373G0456 and 373G0457. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is faintly visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 215 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Bill Genn, Oregon State Police

Head and shoulders portrait of a man facing front and wearing an Oregon State Police uniform and badge. He is standing outside the Journal Building (now the Jackson Tower) in Portland. The name Bill Genn is written on the negative and is visible at the top of the image.

Firefighters climbing to roof of building at Second and Pine, Portland

Photograph showing fire trucks parked outside a building on Pine Street at Second in Portland (now Southwest Pine Street and Southwest Second Avenue). A ladder extends from one of the trucks to the roof of the building, and several firefighters are carrying a hose up the ladder. Two more men are standing on the roof of the building. A related photograph, image No. 373G458, was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. That photograph was one of seven published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. Also see additional related image No. 373G0456. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 132 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Scene of fire at Pacific Telephone & Telegraph building, West Park and Alder streets, Portland

Photograph showing firefighters and others standing among fire hoses in the outside the Pacific Telephone & Telegraph building at Alder and West Park streets (now Southwest Alder Street and Southwest Park Avenue) in Portland. A cropped version of this photograph was one of four that were published on the front page of the Oregon Journal city edition on Friday, May 8, 1925, under the headline “Here Is Fire Which Paralyzed City.” The photographs had the following caption: “Photographs of this afternoon’s blaze in the Telephone building at West Park and Alder streets, which brought home to thousands how dependent they are on telephones.” This photograph had the following additional caption information: “Lines of hoses littering the streets in the vicinity.” The photographs accompanied a story headlined “Telephone Service Paralyzed by Blaze; Damage is $150,000.” The story reported: “Telephone service in the downtown district south of Washington street was completely paralyzed today, shortly after noon, when fire broke out in the basement of the Main-Atwater exchange of the Pacific Telephone & Telegraph Company, West Park and Alder streets. The fire, which is believed to have been caused by a short circuit in the multiple switch box, was confined to the basement of the building and lay like a pall over the surrounding blocks of the business district. The estimated damage to the apparatus and building, which is valued at $600,000, is in excess of $150,000.”

Firefighters climbing to roof of building at Second and Pine, Portland

Photograph showing fire trucks parked outside a building on Pine Street at Second in Portland (now Southwest Pine Street and Southwest Second Avenue) in 1913. A ladder extends from one of the trucks to the roof of the building, and several firefighters are carrying a hose up the ladder. Two more men are standing on the roof of the building. A related photograph, image No. 373G458, was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. That photograph was one of seven published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. Also see additional related image No. 373G0457. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 131 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Portland? firefighters manning hoses

Photograph showing unidentified firefighters, probably from the Portland Fire Department, standing in a street and holding several hoses that are spraying water toward the left, at a target outside the frame. The firefighter in the center is wearing a helmet with a large number 1 on the front. Above the 1 are the words “FIRE BOAT,” and below it are the letters “PFD.”

Firefighter? on ladder above crowd

Photograph showing an unidentified man, possibly a firefighter, on a ladder extending horizontally over a crowd of people standing in the street, probably in downtown Portland. A brass band is in the background on the right. A sign for a Charles F. Berg store is visible on a building in the background on the left.

Fire at Pacific Stationery and Printing Company, Portland

Photograph of smoke pouring out of the the upper windows of the Pacific Stationery and Printing Co. building in Portland on July 29, 1926. Firefighters are gathered on the ground in front of the building and are climbing ladders to the upper windows. A cropped version of this photograph was published on the front page of the Oregon Journal on Thursday, July 29, 1926, under the headline "Down-Town Fire Endangers Employes' Lives" (sic). The photograph had the following caption: "Photograph taken during the height of the fire at the Pacific Stationery & Printing Co.'s plant, No. 107 Second street, this afternoon. Loss in paper stock, office furniture and damage to the building was heavy. Some employes [sic], cut off by burning stairways, escaped by dropping to the roof of an adjoining building. Huge noon-hour crowds were attracted to the fire which was spectacular." The photograph accompanied a story titled "Fire Hits Printing Company." According to the story, one firefighter was injured and the financial loss from the fire was estimated at $185,000. The stationery company was located in downtown Portland on what is now Southwest 2nd Avenue between Southwest Washington and Southwest Harvey Milk streets.

Unveiling of David Campbell memorial, Portland

Photograph showing a crowd of seated people at the memorial to Portland Fire Chief David Campbell during the monument’s unveiling on Thursday, June 28, 1928. The memorial is between Southwest Alder Street and Southwest 18th and 19th avenues. Campbell was killed on June 26, 1911, while fighting a fire at the Union Oil distribution plant. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 2 of the Oregon Journal on Friday, June 29, 1928, under the headline “Statue Unveiled to City’s Firemen Dead.” The photograph had the following caption: “Cenotaph’s formal presentation to the city marks exact hour of 17 years ago when Fire Chief David Campbell was buried. This memorial at 19th and Washington streets [sic], is a tribute to him and all firemen who have died in line of duty.” The photograph accompanied a story headlined “Myrtyred [sic] Chief Honored; Statue to Him Unveiled.”

Unidentified group at fire chiefs’ convention?

Photograph showing a group of unidentified people standing in two rows outside Portland City Hall, possibly at a fire chiefs’ convention. Most of the people in the photograph are wearing suits and ties; some are in uniform. On the building behind them is a banner with an emblem and the words “FIRE CHIEFS WELCOME” on it. See related image No. 371N3058. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Unidentified woman making entrance at event

Photograph showing an unidentified woman bursting through a paper screen as she makes an entrance on an outdoor stage or platform. A group of men in military uniforms are standing on the platform on either side of the woman. On the screen are the words “OREGON INVITES THE WORLD” above a painting of a woman’s face. See related image No. 373G0255.

George H. Himes and group with plaque at Portland park renamed in Himes’ honor

Full-length portrait showing George H. Himes (third from right) and five others standing next to a boulder bearing a plaque in Himes’ honor on Friday, September 20, 1935, in Portland. The photograph was taken at a ceremony marking the official placement of the plaque. A story about the ceremony was published on Page 7 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, September 22, 1935, under the headline “Himes Park Plaque Put at Entrance.” The story reported: “Official viewing of a bronze plaque affixed to a 10-ton boulder at the entrance to George H. Himes park Friday afternoon marked the culmination of a long campaign by the Oregon chapter, Daughters of Founders and Patriots of America, to have the 34-acre tract renamed for a living pioneer. The organization May 18 conducted a program in the park, marking the change in name from Fulton park, but the plaque, paying tribute to Himes, was not permanently in place.” The story also reported that Himes had come to Oregon in 1853 and had long been the curator of the Oregon Historical Society. Accompanying the story was a cropped version of this photograph, which had the headline “Placing Permanent Himes Plaque.” The photograph had the following caption: “Grouped beside the new name plaque, mounted on a 10-ton boulder in George H. Himes park, are (from left) Mrs. O. J Goffin, chairman of the Daughters of Founders and Patriots of America committee which renamed the park for Himes; Mrs. J. B. Montgomery, a Portland pioneer; Mrs. C. S. Jackson, who read the inscription at a program in the park Friday; Himes; Mrs. J. Thorburn Ross, president of the daughters group, and David Stearns, another Oregon pioneer." See related image No. 372A0281. Image note: The name “Himes” is written on the negative. Negative damage at bottom left corner.

George H. Himes with plaque at Portland park renamed in his honor

Full-length portrait showing George H. Himes standing next to a boulder bearing a plaque in Himes’ honor on Friday, September 20, 1935, in Portland. The photograph was taken at a ceremony marking the official placement of the plaque. A story about the ceremony was published on Page 7 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, September 22, 1935, under the headline “Himes Park Plaque Put at Entrance.” The story reported: “Official viewing of a bronze plaque affixed to a 10-ton boulder at the entrance to George H. Himes park Friday afternoon marked the culmination of a long campaign by the Oregon chapter, Daughters of Founders and Patriots of America, to have the 34-acre tract renamed for a living pioneer. The organization May 18 conducted a program in the park, marking the change in name from Fulton park, but the plaque, paying tribute to Himes, was not permanently in place.” The story also reported that Himes had come to Oregon in 1853 and had long been the curator of the Oregon Historical Society. See related image No. 372A0282, which was published with the story. Image note: The name “Geo Himes” is written on the negative. Image shows discoloration at lower right due to negative damage.

Wedding of Joseph K. Carson and Myrtle Cradick

Photograph of Myrtle Cradick, the Rev. William G. Everson, and Portland Mayor Joseph K. Carson at the altar on Cradick and Carson’s wedding day, Saturday, June 19, 1937. The ceremony was held at the First Baptist Church (also known as the White Temple) in Portland. A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 372A0112 were published on the front page of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, June 20, 1937, under the headline “The Mayor and Portland Gain First Lady.” This photograph had the following caption: “The Rev. William G. Everson, pastor of White Temple church, blesses the union of Mayor Joseph K. Carson and Miss Myrtle Cradick at the wedding rites Saturday night.” See additional related image Nos. 372A0107, 372A0108, 372A0109, 372A0110, and 372A0111.

Joseph K. Carson wearing bib at bachelor party

Photograph showing Portland Mayor Joseph K. Carson taking a glass from two unidentified men as a third unidentified man watches. The photograph was taken on June 15, 1937, during a bachelor party for Carson at Waverley Country Club in Portland. Carson is sitting in a tall chair and wearing a bib. The dinner party included speeches and pranks. The Oregon Journal published a story about the party on Page 6, of the June 16, 1937 edition. The story was headlined “Gifts and Wisecracks Give Hizzoner Merry Old Time.” Carson married Myrtle Cradick on June 19, 1937. See related image No. 372A0115.

Joseph K. Carson wearing bib at bachelor party

Photograph showing Portland Mayor Joseph K. Carson during a bachelor party on June 15, 1937, at Waverley Country Club in Portland. Carson is sitting in a tall chair, wearing a bib, and holding a forkful of food from a small glass in front of him. The dinner party included speeches and pranks. The Oregon Journal published a story about the party on Page 6, of the June 16, 1937 edition. The story was headlined “Gifts and Wisecracks Give Hizzoner Merry Old Time.” Carson married Myrtle Cradick on June 19, 1937. See related image No. 372A0114.

Results 1 to 28 of 3458