Showing 124 results

Collections
Schools With digital objects English
Print preview View:

Marylhurst College administration building

Photograph showing the exterior of the Marylhurst College administration building and some of the surrounding grounds. The photograph was taken from the southwest corner of the building. The unconfirmed note “Marylhurst College nurses bldgs 5/10/44” is written on the negative sleeve. Marylhurst College, located in Marylhurst, Oregon, became Marylhurst University in 1998.

University of Oregon Medical School, Marquam Hill, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the three-story University of Oregon Medical School building on Marquam Hill in Portland in October 1919. A group of people and cars are outside the building at left. A cropped version of this photograph was one of five published on Page 16, Section 2, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, October 19, 1919. The photographs were published under the headline “Dream of Great Medical Center Near Realization.” The photographs had the following caption: “Combined University of Oregon medical school and Multnomah county hospital is making rapid strides.” This photograph had the additional caption: “Medical school building, first completed unit of proposed group.” The pictures accompanied a story, which had the headline “Dr. MacKenzie’s Dream Bids Fair to Become True” and the subheadings “Concrete Plans Are Shaping for Building of Medical Center Planned by Dean of U. of O. / Some Money Now Promised / New Structure of Medical School on Marquam Hill Above Terwilliger Boulevard, Is Nucleus.” See related image Nos. 376G0334 and 376G0335. Image note: The text “Medical school” is written on the negative sleeve.

University of Oregon medical students working in freshman study room

Photograph showing young men working at long tables in the freshman study room at the new University of Oregon Medical School building on Marquam Hill in Portland in October 1919. The second young man from left is holding up a rat by the tail; others are looking into microscopes. A cropped version of this photograph was one of five published on Page 16, Section 2, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, October 19, 1919. The photographs were published under the headline “Dream of Great Medical Center Near Realization.” The photographs had the following caption: “Combined University of Oregon medical school and Multnomah county hospital is making rapid strides.” This photograph had the additional caption: “Scene in freshman study room, with a rat as exhibit ‘A.’ ” The pictures accompanied a story, which had the headline “Dr. MacKenzie’s Dream Bids Fair to Become True” and the subheadings “Concrete Plans Are Shaping for Building of Medical Center Planned by Dean of U. of O. / Some Money Now Promised / New Structure of Medical School on Marquam Hill Above Terwilliger Boulevard, Is Nucleus.” See related image Nos. 376G0333 and 376G0335. Image note: The text “Medical school” is written on the negative sleeve.

University of Oregon medical students working in laboratory

Photograph showing students working at long tables in a laboratory at the new University of Oregon Medical School building on Marquam Hill in Portland in October 1919. A cropped version of this photograph was one of five published on Page 16, Section 2, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, October 19, 1919. The photographs were published under the headline “Dream of Great Medical Center Near Realization.” The photographs had the following caption: “Combined University of Oregon medical school and Multnomah county hospital is making rapid strides.” This photograph had the additional caption: “Sophomore medical students at work in bacteriological laboratory.” The pictures accompanied a story, which had the headline “Dr. MacKenzie’s Dream Bids Fair to Become True” and the subheadings “Concrete Plans Are Shaping for Building of Medical Center Planned by Dean of U. of O. / Some Money Now Promised / New Structure of Medical School on Marquam Hill Above Terwilliger Boulevard, Is Nucleus.” See related image Nos. 376G0333 and 376G0334. Image note: The text “Medical school” is written on the negative sleeve.

Boy's Dormitory from Roof of Nearby Building, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1957

A black and white photograph of Lindstrom Hall, the new boy's dormitory of the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location. The school has occupied this location since 1910. The photograph is taken from the roof of the building next to it, looking down on the dormitory. The building forms a zig-zag shape and is two stories tall. Sprinklers water the lawn around it. It was named after T.A. Lindstrom, a long time teacher at the school. A note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD's new boys dormitory, completed 1957, as "Lindstrom Hall". " OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Students Picking Strawberries and Cherries, Oregon School for the Deaf, c.1915

Black and white photograph of about twenty students holding containers filled with recently picked strawberries and cherries in the fields of the school's Locust Street location. The school has occupied this location since 1910, but farming ceased in 1970. They are a mix of boys and girls of various ages and are standing in a field of strawberry plants. The boy kneeling in the lower right corner of the photograph is Edward Tillinghast Jr., the son of Edward Tillinghast Sr., Superintendent of the school from 1906-1922. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD deaf children picking strawberries and cherries - ca. 1915". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Girls Basketball Team Standing, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1913

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's girls basketball team in 1913. The photograph shows six female students standing on a set of stairs with a woman standing behind them. Two students in front hold a basketball that reads "OSD 1913". Front row (left to right): Adah Yoran, Mattie McClain, Anna Schulz. Back row (left to right): Lily Mokko, Grace Wolf, Clara Hagen. Behind: unknown, coach. The photograph is mounted on a dark red-brown mat. Below the photograph is a handwritten note that reads "Oregon State School for the Deaf Girls' basketball team 1913." The Oregon State School for the Deaf was the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boys Basketball Team Practice, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1917

Black and White photograph showing the Oregon School for the Deaf boys basketball team practicing in the gym in the Polytechnic Building. The photograph shows twelve students and one instructor standing in a gym with their arms outstretched. One student is identified as "Edwin". On the back of the photograph is a handwritten note that reads "Salem Deaf School basketball team -1917"

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boys Basketball Team Formal Photograph, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1945-1946

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's boys basketball team in 1945-46. The photograph shows twelve teenage male students in letterman jackets, smiling at the camera. Standing (left to right): Lyle Blakely, Richard Randolph, James Jackson, Robert Dennis, Royal Teets, Billy Foren, Ervin Shepard. Seated (left to right): Morris Harrison, Danny Heiken, Delbert Kessler, Teddy Ellison, Gordon Garboden. One of the boys holds a basketball with "45-46" written on it. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD boys basketball team 1945-46". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Football Team, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1951

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's football team in 1951. The photograph shows 15 teenage male students and one younger student posed in a field for a formal sports team photograph. Half of the team stands and half kneels in front of them. They all wear their football gear, except the younger student who is in a t-shirt. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD football team 1951". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Primary Classroom, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1908-1909

A black and white photograph of students and their teacher in a classroom at the Oregon School for the Deaf on Turner Road. The school occupied the Turner Road location from 1895-1910. The students sit at tables set up in a rectangle and are turned to face the camera. The photograph is mounted on a black mat and a note under the photograph reads "OSD primary classroom - 1908-09 - Turner." Faded notes on the back of the photograph identify two of the students as William and Samuel Toll. It reads: "William Toll end of 2nd row. 3rd from left 1st row Sam Toll (bro. to Wm.)" Another note on the back reads: "Oregon School for Deaf 1908-09"

Oregon School for the Deaf

Home Economics Class, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1922

A black and white photograph of a home economics class at the Oregon School for the Deaf on Locust Street. Four female students sit at a round table that is set with dishes and silverware. Two other students stand on either side of the table holding trays. A woman stands behind the table. The photograph is mounted on a red mat. Text below the photograph reads: "Home Economics, 1922."

Oregon School for the Deaf

Driving Class, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1952

A black and white photograph of young men learning to drive at the Oregon School for the Deaf on Locust Street. Wallace Colley attempts to parallel park a 1947 Classic Chevrolet Woody Wagon between two sets of poles being held by Kenneth Colley (left) and Duane Lisac (right). William Walker sits in the back seat. In the background is the Vocational Building, a two-story building built in 1929 with car parking space on the first floor and students looking out windows on the second floor. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD Driving class 1952 Salem Ore". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boy reading in classroom

A boy sits at a desk in a classroom, holding an open book and reading. A girl sits at another desk in the background. This image was likely taken by staff of the Valley Migrant League's Opportunity News circa 1965 - 1968.

School building in Silverton, Oregon

Photograph of a school building in Silverton, Oregon. A sign over the entrance reads, "Silver Crest School Dist. No. 93.C." This image was likely taken by staff of the Valley Migrant League's Opportunity News circa 1965 - 1968.

Nursery School at St. Barnabas Church, Portland

Two children at a nursery school at Saint Barnabas Episcopal Church in Portland. They wear art smocks while sitting on opposite sides of a painting easel. The child on the right side of the frame is using a brush in a piece of paper, while the other looks to the side (negative 1 of 6).

Monner, Al (Alfred Anthony), 1909-1998

High School - Milton-Freewater, Oregon

Negative of a photographic postcard showing the exterior of McLoughlin High School in Milton-Freewater, Oregon. A woman prepares to cross the street on the left. Handwriting on negative reads, "High School - Milton-Freewater - Ore. Ellis 2233." Handwritten note on envelope indicates this was taken in 1945.

Ellis (Photographer)

Results 1 to 28 of 124