Print preview Close

Showing 287 results

Collections
Automobiles With digital objects
Print preview View:

Wrecked car overturned on sidewalk

Photograph showing a wrecked 1921 Ford Coupe overturned on the sidewalk near a house. The roof of the car is crushed. At left, partially outside the frame, are two unidentified men. The tire cover displays the words "The MOHAWK Tire." The wreck depicted in this photo may be the same one show in image No. 373G0260.

Wrecked car next to railroad tracks

Photograph of two unidentified men in uniforms looking at the wreckage of a vehicle lying next to a set of railroad tracks. On the left side of the image is a railroad crossing sign. The photograph was taken at night. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Wreckage of Peter Iredale

Photograph of an automobile parked next to the remains of the Peter Iredale, a four-masted ship that ran aground on Clatsop Spit in October 1906. The wreck, located in what is now Fort Stevens State Park, subsequently became a tourist attraction.

Women posing with decorated car

Photograph of four unidentified women in matching blouses and skirts, posing next to a car decorated with streamers and wings. They are on Madison Street in Portland’s South Park Blocks. The photograph is probably related to a parade. Also see image No. 371N4863.

Women in decorated car

Photograph of four unidentified women in a car decorated with streamers and wings. The car is on Madison Street in Portland’s South Park Blocks. The photograph is probably related to a parade. Also see image No. 371N4880.

Windolph Motor Company staff with car

Full-length portrait of nine unidentified men, likely of Windolph Motor Company, posing with a car (1936 Graham) parked outside the Windolph Motor Company dealership (1737 SW Morrison, Portland). The two men on the left of the frame are likely two of the three Windolph brothers (Carl, Fred, and Joseph Windolph). The fourth man from left is sitting on the front of the car, and the others are standing next to it. The words “SERVICE ENTRANCE” are painted on an upper window on the building in the background. The number 1737 is visible above a doorway in the background.

White steamer car in front of Journal Building

Unidentified people in a “steamer car,” which appears to be parked in front of the Journal Building in Portland. Two women are seated in the car, with a driver wearing a set of goggles (negative 1 of 2).

Monner, Al (Alfred Anthony), 1909-1998

View of temporary medical center in Bandon three months after fire

Photograph showing a car and buildings along the main street in Bandon, Oregon, in December 1936, three months after a forest fire destroyed the town. A sign on the building at center reads: “Temporary Medical Center / Fuhrman & Shindler Inc. / Rexall Drug Store.” To the left of that text are the words: “Dr. Arthur Gale / Dr. E. F. Lucas / Physicians & Surgeons.” To the right are the words: “Dr. F. W. Dodds / Dr. F. W. Gould / Dentists.” At far right is a sign for Carr’s Variety Store. See related image Nos. 372A1212, 372A1213, 372A1229, 372A1230, and 372A1231. Image note: The number 4 is written on the negative and is partially visible in the lower right corner of the image.

View of new buildings in Bandon three months after fire

Photograph showing cars and new shop buildings on the main street in Bandon, Oregon, in December 1936, three months after a forest fire destroyed the town. On the right side of the image are signs for Noble Electric and Carr’s Variety store. On the left side are signs for the Haga & Church grocery store and Erdman’s City Market. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 7 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, December 27, 1936, under the headline “Scars Left by Night of Flames Disappearing as Bandon Resolutely Builds Again.” This photograph had the following caption: “Another view of Main street.” See related image Nos. 372A1212, 372A1213, 372A1229, 372A1231, and 372A1232. Image note: The number 3 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the image.

View of main street and new buildings in Bandon three months after fire

Photograph showing new shop buildings and cars along the main street in Bandon, Oregon, in December 1936, three months after a forest fire destroyed the town. On the left side of the street are signs for McNair Hardware Company, Gants Clothing, and Carr’s Variety Store. On the right side of the street are signs for Erdman’s City Market and the Haga & Church grocery store. See related image Nos. 372A1212, 372A1229, 372A1230, 372A1231, and 372A1232. Image note: The number 2 is written on the negative and is partially visible in the lower right corner of the image.

View of main street and new buildings in Bandon three months after fire

Photograph showing cars and new shop buildings under construction on the main street in Bandon, Oregon, in December 1936, three months after a forest fire destroyed the town. On the left side of the street are signs for the Minute Cafe and the Haga & Church grocery store. On the right side of the photograph are signs for Noble Electric and Carr’s Variety Store. Wreckage from the fire is visible at lower left. cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 7 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, December 27, 1936, under the headline “Scars Left by Night of Flames Disappearing as Bandon Resolutely Builds Again.” This photograph had the following caption: “Main street looking north.” See related image Nos. 372A1212, 372A1213, 372A1229, 372A1230, and 372A1232. Image note: The number 5 is written on the negative and is partially visible in the lower right corner of the image.

Vancouvery Ferry at Hayden Island

Photograph showing a ferry at Hayden Island, with a dirt road leading to a loading dock for automobiles and horse-drawn carts. On the ferry is a sign with “City of Vancouver” written on it. The Columbia River can be seen behind the ferry, as well as a metal bridge spanning the water (likely the Burlington Northern Santa Fe bridge 9.6).

Vancouvery Ferry at Hayden Island

Photograph taken from a side angle showing a ferry at Hayden Island on the Columbia River, which appears to be behind a wooden dock. On the ferry is a sign with “City of Vancouver” written on it. Wooden pillars can be seen in the water in front of the ferry, and a bridge is in the distant background ((likely the Burlington Northern Santa Fe bridge 5.1).

Unidentified people posing with cars and travel trailers, Southeast 6th and Alder, Portland

Photograph showing a group of people standing in the street next to a row of parked cars with travel trailers. The vehicles are outside a building at Southeast 6th Avenue and Southeast Alder streets in Portland, which housed the East Side Commercial Club and Roosevelt Masonic lodge No. 187. See related image Nos. 372A0850 and 372A0852.

Unidentified men fueling vehicle at General Petroleum station

Photograph showing a car parked at General Petroleum service station. Three unidentified men are standing are standing at the rear of the car and holding the hose as they fuel the vehicle. The man standing at left is wearing a General Petroleum hat and is probably a station attendant. The two men at right, both wearing suits and ties, are each standing with one foot on the car’s rear bumper and one hand on the fuel hose. See related image Nos. 371N4127 and 371N4128.

Unidentified man posing with car and travel trailer, Southeast 6th and Alder, Portland

Photograph showing an unidentified man posing in the street next to a car with a travel trailer. The vehicle is parked outside a building at Southeast 6th Avenue and Southeast Alder streets in Portland, which housed the East Side Commercial Club and Roosevelt Masonic lodge No. 187. The car has a California license plate. See related image Nos. 372A0851 and 372A0852.

Unidentified man marking Portland Gas & Coke Co. car with civilian defense insignia

Photograph showing an unidentified man crouching next to a Portland Gas & Coke Company vehicle. He is facing to the left and is placing a sign bearing the civilian defense insignia for utility repair on the side of the car. He is also wearing an armband with the same insignia and a pouch for carrying a gas mask. The number 2318 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper right corner of the image. The text “Repair car insignia” is written on the negative sleeve. See related image No. 375A0819. Image note: Light leak on negative.

Results 1 to 28 of 287