Showing 1428 results

Collections
glass plate negatives English
Print preview View:

1428 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

St. Peter’s Dome and Rock of Ages, Columbia River Gorge

Photograph showing brush and forest below rock formations in the Columbia River Gorge near Dodson, Oregon. The formations are faintly visible in the background; at left is St. Peter’s Dome and at right is Rock of Ages. This photograph may be related to image Nos. 373G0358, 373G0360, and 379G0100. Image note: Damaged negative.

Dr. C. U. Moore examining baby at Infant Welfare Association clinic, south Portland

Photograph showing Dr. C. U. Moore, medical director of a well-baby clinic in South Portland, listening to an unidentified baby’s lungs with a stethoscope. A cropped version of this photograph was one of two published on Page 12 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, January 16, 1921, under the headline “Keeping Babies Well.” The photographs had the caption: “Views of Infant Welfare association clinic in South Portland.” This photograph had the following additional caption information: “Dr. C. U. Moore making lung test.” The photographs accompanied a story with the headline “Better Babies Is Object Off [sic] Clinic Conducted Here” and the subheading “Skeptical at First, Mothers Fast Learning Their Infants Thrive as Result of Recommendations.” Image note: The text “Moore, Dr.” is written on the negative sleeve.

Man examining baby during eugenics test at Multnomah County Courthouse

Photograph showing an unidentified man examining an unidentified baby during a eugenics test at the Multnomah County Courthouse in Portland in April 1920. The man is holding a tongue depressor toward the baby’s open mouth. A cropped and reversed version of this photograph was published on Page 12, the Mother’s Forum, of the Oregon Journal city edition on Monday, April 12, 1920. The photograph had the following caption: “One of the several examinations given in the eugenics tests made at the Parents’ Educational bureau, 551 courthouse, every Wednesday. The tests are for mental and physical defects and advice is given for their correction.”

Two patients receiving light therapy

Photograph showing two patients and medical personnel in a treatment room. The patients are probably receiving light therapy; one is lying on a table, face down, under a lamp, and a man in a white gown is standing next to the table. The other patient is seated on a table with one leg extended, and a woman in a white uniform is positioning a lamp over his leg. At the center of the image, on a small table, is a motor-generator, possibly used for electrotherapy.

Mrs. G. J. Frankel and Women’s Protective Bureau, Portland police

Portrait showing Mrs. G. J. Frankel (center) sitting at a desk and a group of unidentified women standing behind her. They are looking at a document Frankel is holding. Frankel was superintendent of the Women’s Protective Bureau of the Portland police department from 1918 to 1921. The text “Woman’s [sic] Protective Squad & Mrs. Frankel” is written on the negative sleeve. See related image No. 376G0336.

Mrs. G. J. Frankel, head of Women’s Protective Bureau, Portland police

Half-length portrait of Mrs. G. J. Frankel, superintendent of the Women’s Protective Bureau of the Portland police department from 1918 to 1921. She is sitting at a desk, looking at a document, and facing to the left. The text “Frankel, Mrs and Women’s Protective Squad” is written on the negative sleeve. See related image No. 376G0337.

Prohibition agents S. F. Rutter, and J. P. Marstella in Portland

Photograph showing Federal Prohibition Field Agents S. F. Rutter of San Francisco and J. P. Marstella of Washington, D.C., standing at the bottom of a set of steps outside a building. They are looking at one another and smiling. This photograph was taken in March 1920 while Rutter and Marstella were visiting Portland to evaluate prohibition enforcement. The Oregon Journal published a related photograph, image No. 376G0193, and a story about Rutter and Marstella’s visit on Page 4 of the city edition on March 16, 1920. See additional related image No. 376G0191. Image note: Negative damage at upper right. The text “Prohibition officers” is written on the negative sleeve.

Prohibition agents Fred B. Curry, Johnson S. Smith, J. E. Flanders, S. F. Rutter, and J. P. Marstella in Portland

Photograph showing a group of men, all wearing suits and ties, gathered at the bottom of steps outside a building. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 4 of the Oregon Journal city edition on Tuesday, March 16, 1920, under the headline “Prohibition Agents Visit Portland.” The caption was: “Special prohibition field agents visit officials who are directing enforcement of national prohibition act in Oregon. From left—Federal Prohibition Inspector Fred B. Curry, Federal Prohibition Supervisor for Oregon Johnson S. Smith, Federal prohibition Agent J. E. Flanders and S. F. Rutter of San Francisco and J. P. Marstella of Washington, D. C., special prohibition agents touring the Pacific coast. The photograph accompanied a story, headlined “Dry Nation Has Come To Stay, Officials Say,” about Rutter and Marstella’s visit to Portland. See related image Nos. 376G0191 and 376G0192. Image note: The text “Prohibition office” is written on the negative sleeve.

Prohibition agents Fred B. Curry, Johnson S. Smith, J. E. Flanders, S. F. Rutter, and J. P. Marstella in Portland

Photograph showing a group of men, all wearing suits and ties, gathered at the bottom of steps outside a building. A similar photograph, image No. 376G0193, was published on Page 4 of the Oregon Journal city edition on Tuesday, March 16, 1920, under the headline “Prohibition Agents Visit Portland.” The caption was: “Special prohibition field agents visit officials who are directing enforcement of national prohibition act in Oregon. From left—Federal Prohibition Inspector Fred B. Curry, Federal Prohibition Supervisor for Oregon Johnson S. Smith, Federal prohibition Agent J. E. Flanders and S. F. Rutter of San Francisco and J. P. Marstella of Washington, D. C., special prohibition agents touring the Pacific coast. The photograph accompanied a story, headlined “Dry Nation Has Come To Stay, Officials Say,” about Rutter and Marstella's visit to Portland. See additional related image No. 376G0192. Image note: The text “Prohibition officers” is written on the negative sleeve.

Frank Irvine, Portland police

Head and shoulders portrait of a man facing slightly left. He is wearing a Portland police uniform with the word “Sergeant” on his cap and badge. The name “Irvine, Lt. Frank” is written on the negative sleeve.

Firefighters on ladder, Pine Street, Portland

Photograph showing four firefighters on a ladder extending straight upward from a truck parked on Pine Street (now Southwest Pine Street) in Portland between Second and Third. The sides of the image have been masked out. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. It was one of seven photographs published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” This photograph had the following caption: “Auto Aerial Truck.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. See related image Nos. 373G0456 and 373G0457. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is faintly visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 215 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Firefighters climbing to roof of building at Second and Pine, Portland

Photograph showing fire trucks parked outside a building on Pine Street at Second in Portland (now Southwest Pine Street and Southwest Second Avenue). A ladder extends from one of the trucks to the roof of the building, and several firefighters are carrying a hose up the ladder. Two more men are standing on the roof of the building. A related photograph, image No. 373G458, was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. That photograph was one of seven published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. Also see additional related image No. 373G0456. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 132 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Wreckage at scene of fire

Photograph showing piles of corrugated metal and other smoking rubble at the scene of a fire. The number 10 and a mark that may be a “Z” or an “N” are written on the negative and are visible in the upper left corner of the image.

Scene of fire at Pacific Telephone & Telegraph building, West Park and Alder streets, Portland

Photograph showing firefighters and others standing among fire hoses in the outside the Pacific Telephone & Telegraph building at Alder and West Park streets (now Southwest Alder Street and Southwest Park Avenue) in Portland. A cropped version of this photograph was one of four that were published on the front page of the Oregon Journal city edition on Friday, May 8, 1925, under the headline “Here Is Fire Which Paralyzed City.” The photographs had the following caption: “Photographs of this afternoon’s blaze in the Telephone building at West Park and Alder streets, which brought home to thousands how dependent they are on telephones.” This photograph had the following additional caption information: “Lines of hoses littering the streets in the vicinity.” The photographs accompanied a story headlined “Telephone Service Paralyzed by Blaze; Damage is $150,000.” The story reported: “Telephone service in the downtown district south of Washington street was completely paralyzed today, shortly after noon, when fire broke out in the basement of the Main-Atwater exchange of the Pacific Telephone & Telegraph Company, West Park and Alder streets. The fire, which is believed to have been caused by a short circuit in the multiple switch box, was confined to the basement of the building and lay like a pall over the surrounding blocks of the business district. The estimated damage to the apparatus and building, which is valued at $600,000, is in excess of $150,000.”

Firefighters climbing to roof of building at Second and Pine, Portland

Photograph showing fire trucks parked outside a building on Pine Street at Second in Portland (now Southwest Pine Street and Southwest Second Avenue) in 1913. A ladder extends from one of the trucks to the roof of the building, and several firefighters are carrying a hose up the ladder. Two more men are standing on the roof of the building. A related photograph, image No. 373G458, was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. That photograph was one of seven published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. Also see additional related image No. 373G0457. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 131 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Wreckage of building, possibly after fire

Photograph showing the wreckage of a destroyed brick building, possibly after a fire. At right left and in the background at center are the remains of walls and foundations. Bricks are strewn on the ground at the site. The letter “B” and a letter that may be “Z” or “N” are written on the negative and are visible in the image.

Crowd at party

Portrait of a crowd of partygoers posing for a photograph. They are in a large room, facing front, and some are holding balloons with the Loyal Order of Moose logo on the side. See related image No. 373G0253.

Unidentified woman making entrance at event

Photograph showing an unidentified woman bursting through a paper screen as she makes an entrance on an outdoor stage or platform. A group of men in military uniforms are standing on the platform on either side of the woman. On the screen are the words “OREGON INVITES THE WORLD” above a painting of a woman’s face. See related image No. 373G0255.

Crowd at party

Portrait of a crowd of partygoers posing for a photograph. They are in a large, ornate room and facing front. Many are wearing party hats and holding balloons or party horns.

Crowd at party

Portrait of a crowd of partygoers posing for a photograph. They are in a large room, facing front, and some are holding balloons with the Loyal Order of Moose logo on the side. See related image No. 373G0253.

Results 1 to 28 of 1428