Showing 1927 results

Collections
Oregon cellulose nitrate film With digital objects
Print preview View:

Building at First and Alder, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of a three-story building at the corner of 1st and Alder streets (now Southwest 1st Avenue and Southwest Alder Street) in Portland. The building has a mansard roof and arched windows on the upper stories. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Once occupied by Emil Weber’s gambling hall / Now used as P E P Co’s [Portland Electric Power Company’s] interurban station.” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy

Entrance to Mary Cullen’s Cottage, Journal Building, downtown Portland

Photograph showing the entrance to Mary Cullen’s Cottage in the Journal Building on Broadway (now Southwest Broadway) in downtown Portland. Painted above the door are the words “Mary Cullen’s Cottage,” and painted above the bay window to the left of the door are the words “Household Arts Service of The JOURNAL.” Mary Cullen’s Cottage housed the Oregon Journal’s household department and a demonstration kitchen. The Journal Building is now known as the Jackson Tower.

Fountain and garden at M. Lloyd Frank estate, Palatine Hill, Portland

Photograph showing a fountain and garden at the M. Lloyd Frank estate, Fir Acres, on Palatine Hill in Portland. The fountain consists of a fish sculpture at the center of a pool of stone blocks. Plants border the fountain on all sides. In the background is a wide path between two large garden beds. An unidentified person is working in the garden at center left.. The grounds are now part of Lewis & Clark College.

Burnside Street at Broadway, Portland

Photograph showing buildings and parked cars along Burnside Street (now Northwest Burnside Street) in Portland. The photograph was taken from the intersection of Burnside and Broadway and the view is roughly to the east. Visible in the photograph are signs for (from far left) Brockman Printing, the D. & D. Restaurant, Arnold’s Drugs, and the Hotel Glenwood.

Industrial building?, northwest Portland

Photograph showing a large building, probably a warehouse or factory, in northwest Portland. Next to the main building are several smaller brick buildings. The Montgomery Ward building at Northwest 27th Avenue and Northwest Vaughn Street is partially visible in the background at far left. See related image Nos. 371N5530, 371N5532, and 371N5533.

Jersey Street?, St. Johns, Portland

Photograph, taken from the center of the road, showing the view down a street, possibly Jersey Street, in St. Johns, Portland. On the side of the building at center right is a sign that reads “H. E. CLARK / THE FURNITURE MAN.” The number 4 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the image.

North Williams Avenue and Northeast Killingsworth Street, Portland

Photograph, taken from the center of the road, looking west down Northeast Killingsworth Street in Portland. The photograph was taken at the intersection of Killingsworth and North Williams Avenue. The photograph shows streetcar tracks and buildings and parked cars along Killingsworth. On the building at center left is a sign that reads “Chambers Co. / Funeral Directors.” The number 3 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the image.

Morrison and Grand, Portland

Photograph showing the view down Southeast Morrison Street at Southeast Grand Avenue. The photograph was taken from the center of Morrison and the view is toward the west. The photograph shows vehicles and streetcar tracks on Morrison and the buildings bordering the street. In the foreground at left is the Adrian Hotel building. Liggett’s Drug Store occupies the corner space of the ground floor. In the background at center is the John Deere Plow Company Building at Southeast 2nd Avenue and Morrison; the word “JOHN” is visible at the top.

Waverly Baby Home, Southeast Woodward Street, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior and entrance of the Waverly Baby Home on Southeast Woodward Street between Southeast 35th and Southeast 36th avenues. Three vehicles are parked on Woodward in front of the building. The photograph was taken from Southeast 35th Place and the view is to the south. The text “Waverly Home” is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the image.

Aerial view of Vista House and Crown Point Viaduct

Aerial photograph showing Vista House and the surrounding Crown Point Viaduct in the Columbia River Gorge. The view is toward the east. The lower half of the view is obstructed by the wing of the airplane from which the photograph was taken. A cropped version of this photograph was one of 10 that were published on the front page of the Oregon Journal Sunday magazine on June 5, 1932. The photographs accompanied a story, headlined “Looping the Loop by Air,” that recounted an airplane trip following the route of the Mount Hood Loop Highway and described the views from the air. The photographs had the following caption: “Glimpses of familiar scenery snapped by Roy Norr, Journal staff photographer, in ‘doing’ the Mont [sic] Hood Loop the air way.” This photograph had the following additional information: “Crown Point as it looks to the sky rider.” See image Nos. 371N5698, 371N5703, 371N5704, 371N5716, 371N5717, and 371N5721, which were published on the same page as this photograph. Also see image Nos. 371N5699, 371N5700, 371N5701, and 371N5702, which were taken during the same trip. Image note: Light leak on negative.

Norr, Roy

Aerial view of Troutdale, Oregon, and Sandy River

Aerial photograph, looking east, showing fields at bottom; the town of Troutdale, Oregon, and the Sandy River at center; and hills on the other side of the river at top. A cropped version of this photograph was one of 10 that were published on the front page of the Oregon Journal Sunday magazine on June 5, 1932. The photographs accompanied a story, headlined “Looping the Loop by Air,” that recounted an airplane trip following the route of the Mount Hood Loop Highway and described the views from the air. The photographs had the following caption: “Glimpses of familiar scenery snapped by Roy Norr, Journal staff photographer, in ‘doing’ the Mont [sic] Hood Loop the air way.” This photograph had the following additional information: “Troutdale goes by below.” See image Nos. 371N5679, 371N5698, 371N5703, 371N5704, 371N5716, and 371N5721, which were published on the same page as this photograph. Also see image Nos. 371N5699, 371N5700, 371N5701, and 371N5702, which were taken during the same trip. Image note: Light leak on negative.

Norr, Roy

Tillamook Rock Lighthouse

Photograph, taken from a boat, showing the Tillamook Rock Lighthouse off Tillamook Head in Clatsop County, Oregon. The view is toward the west. See related image Nos. 371N5189, 371N5730, 371N5731, 371N5732, 371N5735, 371N5736, 371N5737, 371N5738, and 371N5739.

Tillamook Rock Lighthouse and approaching rowboat

Photograph, taken from a boat, showing the Tillamook Rock Lighthouse off Tillamook Head in Clatsop County, Oregon. The view is to the south. In the water at center are unidentified people in a rowboat near the rock. See related image Nos. 371N5189, 371N5729, 371N5730, 371N5731, 371N5732, 371N5736, 371N5737, 371N5738, and 371N5739.

Tillamook Rock Lighthouse and approaching rowboat

Photograph, taken from a boat, showing the Tillamook Rock Lighthouse off Tillamook Head in Clatsop County, Oregon. The view is to the south. Just to the left of the rock are unidentified people in a rowboat. See related image Nos. 371N5189, 371N5729, 371N5730, 371N5731, 371N5732, 371N5735, 371N5737, 371N5738, and 371N5739. Image note: Photograph is out of focus.

Tillamook Rock Lighthouse and bow of boat

Photograph, taken from a boat, showing the Tillamook Rock Lighthouse off Tillamook Head in Clatsop County, Oregon. At left are two unidentified people standing in the bow of the boat. The view is toward the southwest. See related image Nos. 371N5189, 371N5729, 371N5730, 371N5731, 371N5732, 371N5735, 371N5736, 371N5738, and 371N5739.

Ship passing Tillamook Rock Lighthouse

Photograph showing a ship sailing past the Tillamook Rock Lighthouse off Tillamook Head in Clatsop County, Oregon. The view is toward the west. See related image Nos. 371N5189, 371N5729, 371N5730, 371N5731, 371N5732, 371N5735, 371N5736, 371N5737, and 371N5739.

Tillamook Rock Lighthouse

Photograph of the Tillamook Rock Lighthouse, located offshore from Tillamook Head in Clatsop County, Oregon. See related image Nos. 371N5729, 371N5730, 371N5731, 371N5732, 371N5735, 371N5736, 371N5737, 371N5738, 371N5739. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Locomotive pulling boulders and crane on South Jetty at mouth of Columbia River?

Photograph showing a locomotive pulling two cars, one loaded with boulders and one carrying a crane. The photograph may have been taken on the South Jetty at the mouth of the Columbia River during repair work in the early to mid-1930s. Written on the negative sleeve is the following unverified text: “Point Adams Lifeguard Station / ‘Locomotive which lifeguard lookout said was knocked over by great waves from South Jetty railroad’ / 10/22/1934.” The caption may refer to a storm that occurred the weekend of October 21-22, 1934, which knocked a locomotive crane off the railway on the South Jetty. Also see image Nos. 371N0241, 371N5711, 371N5712, 371N5714, and 371N5715.

Results 141 to 168 of 1927