Showing 122 results

Collections
United States Schools English
Print preview View:

122 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

School building in Silverton, Oregon

Photograph of a school building in Silverton, Oregon. A sign over the entrance reads, "Silver Crest School Dist. No. 93.C." This image was likely taken by staff of the Valley Migrant League's Opportunity News circa 1965 - 1968.

Boy reading in classroom

A boy sits at a desk in a classroom, holding an open book and reading. A girl sits at another desk in the background. This image was likely taken by staff of the Valley Migrant League's Opportunity News circa 1965 - 1968.

First Reunion of the Alumni, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1927

A black and white photograph of about 40 people standing on the front stairs of the Main Building of the Oregon School for the Deaf on Locust Street. The people are a range of ages, including young children, and both men and women. A note written below the photograph reads: "September 3.4.5. 1927". A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "The first Reunion of the Alumni September 3, 4, 5, 1927 Salem, Oregon."

Oregon School for the Deaf

Portrait of Students and Teacher, Oregon School for the Deaf, c. 1898

A sepia-toned photograph of about a dozen students and staff from the Oregon School for the Deaf. They are a range of ages and both boys and girls. The man in the center of the photograph has a moustache. They are posed for a portrait with some seated and some standing. The photograph is mounted on a tan mat. A handwritten note below the photograph reads: "Supt. Irvin 1892-1894". A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Oregon School for Deaf-Mutes 1898 on Turner Rd." The Oregon School for Deaf-Mutes was the name of the school from 1880-1913.

Oregon School for the Deaf

William S. Smith and His Class, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1885

A black and white photograph of Mr. William S. Smith, the first teacher and founder of the Oregon School for the Deaf, and his class of 13 students. Smith sits in the center of the photograph with his students in chairs or standing around him. Standing (left to right): Eli Baker, Nelson Woods, Leona Fenland, Lee Brown, Nellie Druck, Fannie Whitaker, John Thornton. Seated (left to right): Eva Hockett, Kate Foland, Nina Penland, William S. Smith, Nancy Harris, Anna Harper, Renel Frazier. The photograph is mounted on a light brown mat. On the back of the photograph is a handwritten note that reads: "Williams S. Smith and his class, 1885 at Oregon School for Deaf Mutes, Church and Mission Streets. Wm. S. Smith, deaf himself, Oregon's first deaf teacher and founder of Ore. School for Deaf, November 1870." The Oregon School for Deaf-Mutes was the name of the school from 1880-1913.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Older Boys, Oregon School for the Deaf, c. 1917

A faded black and white photograph of a group of boys in a field. Several younger boys sit in the grass while the older ones stand behind them. Those at the left and right ends of the group are too blurry to see. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD older boys circa 1917". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Students and Staff, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1900-1901

Black and white photograph of students and staff of the Oregon School for the Deaf in the 1900-1901 school year. Staff and students stand on the front steps of the school building at Turner Road, which was occupied by the school from 1895-1910. Younger students are at the front and older near the back. The girls are on the right and boys on the left. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD in 1900-1901 at Turner Rd. Supt. C. Wentz". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Students in the YMCA Pool, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1957

Black and white photograph of students from the Oregon School for the Deaf playing in the YMCA pool in Salem. Several students are splashing and climbing on each other in the pool. The photograph is mounted on a peach colored mat. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD pupils went to YMCA in Salem Ore 1957". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Tyro Elliott in His Soapbox Derby Race Car, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1954

Black and white photograph of Tyro Elliott, a student at the Oregon School for the Deaf, sitting in his soapbox race car. The car says "Shooting Star" and "School for the Deaf" on its side. There is a ribbon pinned to the student's shirt and he is looking at the camera. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Oregon State School for the Deaf 1954 race". The Oregon State School for the Deaf was the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Knitting Club, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1952

Black and white photograph of the knitting club at the Oregon School for the Deaf on Locust Street. Several teenage girls sit on couches or chairs around the walls of a room while knitting. The room has tall windows with curtains and blinds. Left to right: Phyllis Nelson, Helen Isakson, Jackie Quiring, Nedra Schulke, Dorothy Nelson, Audrenne Ross, Juanita Butler, Frances Owen, Carla Brown, Carol Bender, Dorothy Linden, Elaine Byers. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Deaf School Knitting club - Salem Ore -1952".

Oregon School for the Deaf

Class of 1949 Planting Their Fir Tree, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1949

Black and white photograph of eleven older students and two staff members standing around a freshly planted tree on the grounds of the Oregon School for the Deaf on Locust Street. Two students hold shovels, one is lifting dirt from the pile. They stand in front of a single story brick building. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD class of 1949 planted their fir tree and also the new Primary building opened in May, 1949. Thomas Ulmer, sponar [[sponsor]] and T. A. Lindstrom, sponar [[sponsor]]". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Children Playing in the Snow, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1925-1926

Black and white photograph of four younger students playing in the snow on the grounds of the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location in 1925. Two are sitting down and two are standing beside them. All are facing the camera. Behind them can be seen the school's Steam Plant, Main Building, and one other building. The school has occupied this location since 1910. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Ore. State School for the Deaf Winter, 1925-26"

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boys Study Hour, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1918

Black and white photograph of the boys study hall at the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location. The school has occupied this location since 1910. The photograph shows several older male students reading books in a room with a large table at its center. The photograph is mounted on a dark green mat. Text below the photograph reads "Boys' study hour, 1918." A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD boys in the study hall 1918". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

New Buildings, Oregon School for the Deaf, c. 1916

A sepia-toned photograph of the first three buildings to be built at the Oregon School for the Deaf at Locust Street. These buildings are (left to right) the Steam Plant, Main Building, and School Building. The school has occupied this location since 1910. People stand on the lawn in front of the Main Building and on its front steps for the photograph. The photograph is mounted on a dark brown mat. Handwritten text below the photograph reads: "New OSD buildings, 1910-11 at Locust St. (taken c. [[crossed-out]] 1912-13 [[/crossed-out]] 1916) A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Oregon School for the Deaf New buildings, 1910-11 at Locust St. [[crossed-out]] (taken 1912 or 1913) [[/crossed-out]]1916."

Oregon School for the Deaf

Students Ready to Attend "Alice Blue Gown" Dance, Oregon School for the Deaf, c. 1930

Black and white photograph of seven older female students wearing matching dresses and holding matching hats. They are lined up and standing in the grass in front of a tree. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: ""Alice Blue Gown" dance 1. Virginia Travis (Stacks) 2. Irene (Lance) Donavon 3. Irene Powell (Huitt) 4. Zelma Hokanson (Kitchen) 5. Georgia Ulmer (Krepela) 6. Mabel Wood (Shaffer) 7. Zelma Waller (Barrel)"

Oregon School for the Deaf

Stage Chapel, Main Building, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1910

Black and white photograph of the stage in the new Main Building of the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location on Christmas, 1910. Rows of chairs are set up facing a stage that is decorated for Christmas. Two trees flank the stage, where four students are doing a practice performance. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "The stage chapel of the new Main Building, December 25, 1910 at Ore. School for Deaf Mutes." The Oregon School for Deaf-Mutes was the name of the school from 1880-1913.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Older Girls' Parlor, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1907

Black and white photograph of the older girls' parlor at the Turner Road location of the Oregon School for the Deaf. The school occupied the Turner Road location from 1895-1910. Several older female students read in various locations throughout the room, including at a table in the center of the room. The walls are decorated with lace curtains and pennants from several different schools. Left to right: Pearl Pickett, Grace Smith, Grace Kau, Mattie McCain, Fay Newth, Ruth Thomas, unknown, Clara Hagen, unknown, Alice Litchenberger, Ruba Westfall, Lotus Valentine, and Hulda Isaacson. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Ore. School for Deaf Mutes Older Girls' parlor on Turner Rd. 1907". The Oregon School for Deaf-Mutes was the name of the school from 1880-1913.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Football Team, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1951

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's football team in 1951. The photograph shows 15 teenage male students and one younger student posed in a field for a formal sports team photograph. Half of the team stands and half kneels in front of them. They all wear their football gear, except the younger student who is in a t-shirt. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD football team 1951". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boys Basketball Team, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1946-1947

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's boys basketball team in 1946-47. The photograph shows nine teenage male students, four kneel on the ground and five stand behind them. Two kneeling students hold a basketball. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads "O.S.S.D. boys' basketball team 1946-47". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boys Basketball Team Formal Photograph, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1945-1946

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's boys basketball team in 1945-46. The photograph shows twelve teenage male students in letterman jackets, smiling at the camera. Standing (left to right): Lyle Blakely, Richard Randolph, James Jackson, Robert Dennis, Royal Teets, Billy Foren, Ervin Shepard. Seated (left to right): Morris Harrison, Danny Heiken, Delbert Kessler, Teddy Ellison, Gordon Garboden. One of the boys holds a basketball with "45-46" written on it. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD boys basketball team 1945-46". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boys Basketball Team, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1945-1946

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's boys basketball team in 1945-46. The photograph shows twelve teenage male students in letterman jackets, smiling at the camera. Back row (left to right): Lyle Blakely, Ervin Shepard, Danny Heiken. Middle row (left to right): Morris Harrison, Delbert Kessler, Teddy Ellison, Gordon Garboden. Front row (left to right): Richard Randolph, James Jackson, Robert Dennis, Royal Teets, Billy Foren. One of the boys holds a basketball with "45-46" written on it. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "O.S.S.D boys' basketball team 1945-46". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Results 1 to 28 of 122