Showing 122 results

Collections
United States Schools English
Print preview View:

122 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Students and Staff, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1900-1901

Black and white photograph of students and staff of the Oregon School for the Deaf in the 1900-1901 school year. Staff and students stand on the front steps of the school building at Turner Road, which was occupied by the school from 1895-1910. Younger students are at the front and older near the back. The girls are on the right and boys on the left. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD in 1900-1901 at Turner Rd. Supt. C. Wentz". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Oral Primary Class, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1900-1901

A black and white photograph of young students in a classroom at the Oregon School for the Deaf on Turner Road. The school occupied the Turner Road location from 1895-1910. Several students sit at desks with books and slates. Four students practice speaking while standing at the front of the room with their teacher. They are holding their hands to their throats to feel the vibrations of their speech. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD oral primary class at Turner Rd - 1900-01" OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Girls Dormitory Room, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1900-1901

A black and white photograph of a dormitory room in the main building of the Oregon School for the Deaf at Turner Road in 1900-1901. The school was located at Turner Road from 1895-1910. The room has ten matching beds and two dressers. There are wooden chairs between the beds. A handwritten note of the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD Sleeping room 1900-01 at Turner Rd - This print is original 1901 engraving print". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Sewing Class, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1900-1901

A black and white photograph of a sewing class at the Oregon School for the Deaf on Turner Road. About a dozen students sit in chairs with hand sewing, turned to face the camera. One woman sits at a treadle sewing machine and another stands behind the seated girls. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "1900-1901 OSSD sewing class Mrs. Wentz, Teacher Turner Rd". Another note reads: "printed from original engraving - 1901". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Older Girls' Parlor, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1907

Black and white photograph of the older girls' parlor at the Turner Road location of the Oregon School for the Deaf. The school occupied the Turner Road location from 1895-1910. Several older female students read in various locations throughout the room, including at a table in the center of the room. The walls are decorated with lace curtains and pennants from several different schools. Left to right: Pearl Pickett, Grace Smith, Grace Kau, Mattie McCain, Fay Newth, Ruth Thomas, unknown, Clara Hagen, unknown, Alice Litchenberger, Ruba Westfall, Lotus Valentine, and Hulda Isaacson. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Ore. School for Deaf Mutes Older Girls' parlor on Turner Rd. 1907". The Oregon School for Deaf-Mutes was the name of the school from 1880-1913.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boys Basketball Team, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1907-1908

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's boys basketball team in 1907-08. The photograph shows six male students and their coach standing on a set of stairs. One of the boys is holding a ball that say "'07-8" on it. Front row (left to right): Francis Brickly, Frank Emerick, Benjamin Wallace. 2nd row (left to right): Fred Propst, Leslie Tichenor, Charles Lynch. Back: Thure Lindstrom (coach). The picture is mounted on a dark green mat. Below the photograph is text that reads "OSD Basketball team, 1907-8 T.A. Lindstrom, coach." On the back of the photograph is a handwritten note that reads "Basketball 1907-08. T. A. Lindstrom coach. O.S.S.D on Turner Rd". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Primary Classroom, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1908-1909

A black and white photograph of students and their teacher in a classroom at the Oregon School for the Deaf on Turner Road. The school occupied the Turner Road location from 1895-1910. The students sit at tables set up in a rectangle and are turned to face the camera. The photograph is mounted on a black mat and a note under the photograph reads "OSD primary classroom - 1908-09 - Turner." Faded notes on the back of the photograph identify two of the students as William and Samuel Toll. It reads: "William Toll end of 2nd row. 3rd from left 1st row Sam Toll (bro. to Wm.)" Another note on the back reads: "Oregon School for Deaf 1908-09"

Oregon School for the Deaf

Main Administrative Building Under Construction, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1909-1910

A black and white photograph of the new main building being constructed for the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location. There is scaffolding around the front of the building but it is almost complete. It is a large, three-story brick building with tall columns across the entry stairway. The school has occupied this location since 1910, though the building was torn down in 1975. The photograph is mounted on a light brown mat. A handwritten note below the photograph reads: "OSSD new Main Building at Locust St, almost completed - 1909-10". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Hospital Building, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1911-1914

A sepia-toned photograph of the hospital building of the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location. The building is a two-story residential building with a large pillared front porch. Two people, a man and a woman, stand in front of the building. The Hospital Building was used to quarantine sick students to prevent the spread of disease. It was later converted into the Teacher's Cottage for unmarried female teachers. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Hospital Building for isolating cases of contagious or infectious disease. 1911-1914."

Oregon School for the Deaf

Main Building and School Building, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1915-1916

A sepia-toned photograph of the Main Building of the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location in 1915 or 1916. It is a large, three-story brick building with tall columns across the entry stairway. To the right, part of the School Building is visible. To the left is a tree and a double glider swing. The school has occupied this location since 1910, but the Main Building was demolished in 1975. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD main Building and School Building 1915-16" OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

University of Oregon Medical School, 23rd and Lovejoy, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the Victorian-style University of Oregon Medical Department building at 23rd and Lovejoy (now Northwest Twenty-Third Avenue and Northwest Lovejoy Street) in Portland. The number 181 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the photograph. Image note: Light leak and negative damage at upper left.

Children Playing in the Snow, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1925-1926

Black and white photograph of four younger students playing in the snow on the grounds of the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location in 1925. Two are sitting down and two are standing beside them. All are facing the camera. Behind them can be seen the school's Steam Plant, Main Building, and one other building. The school has occupied this location since 1910. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Ore. State School for the Deaf Winter, 1925-26"

Oregon School for the Deaf

First Reunion of the Alumni, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1927

A black and white photograph of about 40 people standing on the front stairs of the Main Building of the Oregon School for the Deaf on Locust Street. The people are a range of ages, including young children, and both men and women. A note written below the photograph reads: "September 3.4.5. 1927". A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "The first Reunion of the Alumni September 3, 4, 5, 1927 Salem, Oregon."

Oregon School for the Deaf

High School - Milton-Freewater, Oregon

Negative of a photographic postcard showing the exterior of McLoughlin High School in Milton-Freewater, Oregon. A woman prepares to cross the street on the left. Handwriting on negative reads, "High School - Milton-Freewater - Ore. Ellis 2233." Handwritten note on envelope indicates this was taken in 1945.

Ellis (Photographer)

Boys Basketball Team, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1945-1946

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's boys basketball team in 1945-46. The photograph shows twelve teenage male students in letterman jackets, smiling at the camera. Back row (left to right): Lyle Blakely, Ervin Shepard, Danny Heiken. Middle row (left to right): Morris Harrison, Delbert Kessler, Teddy Ellison, Gordon Garboden. Front row (left to right): Richard Randolph, James Jackson, Robert Dennis, Royal Teets, Billy Foren. One of the boys holds a basketball with "45-46" written on it. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "O.S.S.D boys' basketball team 1945-46". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Beauty Class, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1944-1946

A blurry black and white photograph of girls and women in a room set up like a beauty salon. On the right is a girl getting her nails done, on the left is a girl getting a haircut. In the back are two girls with their head in hair dryer hoods and one girl getting her hair washed. The Beauty Shop class only lasted two years. A note written on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD beauty class 1944 to 1946". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boys Basketball Team Formal Photograph, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1945-1946

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's boys basketball team in 1945-46. The photograph shows twelve teenage male students in letterman jackets, smiling at the camera. Standing (left to right): Lyle Blakely, Richard Randolph, James Jackson, Robert Dennis, Royal Teets, Billy Foren, Ervin Shepard. Seated (left to right): Morris Harrison, Danny Heiken, Delbert Kessler, Teddy Ellison, Gordon Garboden. One of the boys holds a basketball with "45-46" written on it. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD boys basketball team 1945-46". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boys Basketball Team, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1946-1947

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's boys basketball team in 1946-47. The photograph shows nine teenage male students, four kneel on the ground and five stand behind them. Two kneeling students hold a basketball. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads "O.S.S.D. boys' basketball team 1946-47". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Results 1 to 28 of 122