A black and white photograph of Mr. William S. Smith, the first teacher and founder of the Oregon School for the Deaf, and his class of 13 students. Smith sits in the center of the photograph with his students in chairs or standing around him. Standing (left to right): Eli Baker, Nelson Woods, Leona Fenland, Lee Brown, Nellie Druck, Fannie Whitaker, John Thornton. Seated (left to right): Eva Hockett, Kate Foland, Nina Penland, William S. Smith, Nancy Harris, Anna Harper, Renel Frazier. The photograph is mounted on a light brown mat. On the back of the photograph is a handwritten note that reads: "Williams S. Smith and his class, 1885 at Oregon School for Deaf Mutes, Church and Mission Streets. Wm. S. Smith, deaf himself, Oregon's first deaf teacher and founder of Ore. School for Deaf, November 1870." The Oregon School for Deaf-Mutes was the name of the school from 1880-1913.