Print preview Close

Showing 1291 results

Collections
Washington (State)
Print preview View:

1283 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Plano del Estrecho de Juan de Fuca descuvierto el año de 1592, reconocido en 1789 por Dn. José Narbaez, en el de 90, Cp. Dn. Manuel Quimper, en 91, Q. Cp. Dn. Franco Eliza y concluido en este por el Commandante Vancouver y Dn. Dionissio Galiano ; en el qual sedenotan con el color negro los descubrimtos. hechos hasta 91, con el encarnado los Vancouver, y con el azul los de Galiano

A hand-colored pen and ink map of Strait of Juan de Fuca. English translation: Plan of the Strait of Juan de Fuca discovered in the year 1592, recognized in 1789 by Dn. José Narbaez, in the [year] 90 by Dn. Manuel Quimper, in 91 by Dn. Franco Eliza and followed in this by commander Vancouver and Dn. Dionisio Galiano ; the discoveries made are denoted by the color black, with the pink being the discoveries of Vancouver and blue those of Galiano.

Bodega y Cuadra, Juan de la, 1743-1794

Oral history interview with John G. Wyers [Sessions 3 & 4]

Reel 1, Side 2. In the third interview session, conducted on March 12, 1959, Wyers talks about the people who lived near the White Salmon River in the late 19th century, including the areas now known as Trout Lake and Glenwood. In the fourth interview session, conducted on March 21, 1959, Wyers talks about the schools, churches, and roads in western Klickitat County in the late 19th century.

Wyers, John G. (John Gerbrand), 1871-1961

Oral history interview with John G. Wyers

  • SR 2097
  • Collection
  • 1959-03-03 - 1959-03-21

This oral history interview with John G. Wyers was conducted by his son, Teunis J. Wyers, from March 3-21, 1959. The interview was conducted in four sessions. An unidentified woman was also present during the first session.

In the first interview session, conducted on March 3, 1959, Wyers discusses settling in the Klickitat County, Washington, area in 1891. He talks about the people who lived in the areas now known as White Salmon and Underwood in the late 19th century. He describes a ferry, the landscape, and buildings in the area.

In the second interview session, conducted on March 5, 1959, Wyers talks about the people who lived in the western area of Klickitat County in the late 19th century. He also speaks about conflicts between white emigrants and Native people who lived in the area.

In the third interview session, conducted on March 12, 1959, Wyers talks about the people who lived near the White Salmon River in the late 19th century, including the areas now known as Trout Lake and Glenwood.

In the fourth interview session, conducted on March 21, 1959, Wyers talks about the schools, churches, and roads in western Klickitat County in the late 19th century.

Wyers, John G. (John Gerbrand), 1871-1961

Oral history interview with John G. Wyers [Sessions 1 & 2]

Reel 1, Side 1. In the first interview session, conducted on March 3, 1959, Wyers discusses settling in the Klickitat County, Washington, area in 1891. He talks about the people who lived in the areas now known as White Salmon and Underwood in the late 19th century. He describes a ferry, the landscape, and buildings in the area. In the second interview session, conducted on March 5, 1959, Wyers talks about the people who lived in the western area of Klickitat County in the late 19th century. He also speaks about conflicts between white emigrants and Native people who lived in the area.

Wyers, John G. (John Gerbrand), 1871-1961

Map of military reconnaissance from Fort Dalles, Oregon, via Fort Wallah-Wallah, to Fort Taylor, Washington Territory / made under direction of Capt. A.A. Humphreys, U.S. Topl. Engrs., by Lieut. John Mullan, U.S. Army ; assisted by Theodore Kolecki and Gustavus Sohon, civil engrs., while attached to the military expedition under Col. Geo. Wright, 9th Infantry, in 1858

A map based off 1858 military surveys showing the approximate locations for military roads constructed between 1859 to 1862. Also shown on the map are locations for farms, camps, trails, bridges, vegetations types, rapids, rock outcrops, landings, and locations of battles. Relief shown by form lines. This map is part of series: Senate executive document (United States. Congress. Senate) ; 47th Congress, 3rd session, no. 43.

Mullan, John, 1830-1909

Bird's eye view of Oregon and part of Washington, the Columbia River Valley, tributary to Flavel, 1895

A Bird's-eye view map showing Oregon and part of Washington circa 1895 highlighting "Wheat Belt" agricultural regions. The map also includes relative locations for cities, railroad lines, and natural features in the covered region. Perspective of the map is from the Pacific coastline looking east. Relief shown by shading. Not drawn to scale.

Burr, A.

Birdseye view of Oregon and part of Washington, 1887

A bird's-eye view map showing Oregon and part of Washington circa 1887. The map includes relative locations for cities, railroad lines, lighthouses, and natural features in the covered region. Perspective of the map is from the Pacific coastline looking east. Relief shown by shading. Not drawn to scale.

Survey of the Columbia River between Celilo and the Dalles : October 1879 to January 1880 / by the order of Major G.I. Gillespie & under the direction of Lieutenant Charles F. Powell, Corps of Engineers, U.S.A. ; instrumental work by Messrs F.W. Lehnartz ... [et al.] ; drawing by Messrs J.A. Gillespie & F.J. Carrel.

A blueline print map of a survey of the Columbia River between Celilo and The Dalles. Relief is shown by contours and depth is shown by soundings. The map also shows the proposed route for the Oregon Railway and Navigation Company’s Oregon Portage Railroad extension.

United States. Army. Corps of Engineers

Chart of the Columbia River for 90 miles from its mouth, 1838

A navigational map, “Chart of the Columbia River for 90 miles from its mouth [cartographic material] / drawn from several surveys in the possession of W.A. Slacum ; by M.C. Ewing.” Relief shown by hachures. Depths shown by soundings. Oriented with north to the left. Profiles: Cape Disappointment N.N.E. by compass distance 10 miles -- Cape Disappointment N.N.E. 6 miles. "S. Doc. No. 470. 25 Con. 2d S." Series: Senate document (United States. Congress. Senate) ; 25th Congress, 2d session, no. 470. Imaged map dissected and mounted on cloth backing. Item has also been identified as bb017535.

Ewing, Maskell C.

Sketch of the Columbia River from the forks, & the 19th of October 1805 to the 1st of Jany on the Pacific Ocean

A reproduction of a hand-drawn sketch of the Columbia River by William Clark. The map also indicates camping places on the return journey in April, 1806. Originally issued in volume titled: Atlas accompanying the original journal of the Lewis and Clark expedition, 1804-1806, edited by Reuben Gold Thwaites (New York : Dodd, Mead & Company, 1905). Map 32, pt. 2. Item has also been identified as bb017544.

Clark, William, 1770-1838

Map, showing lines under construction and proposed routes and connections

A colored map of Oregon, Washington, and parts of Idaho produced by the Oregon Pacific Railroad Company circa 1880. The map shows railroad lines under construction and proposed routes and connections, steamship lines along rivers and other navigable waterways, built and projected connections, and boundaries of land grants held by the Oregon Pacific Railroad Company. Scale [ca. 1:1,800,000]. Relief shown by form lines. Original map mounted on cloth backing. Item has also been identified as bb0175546.

Oregon Pacific Railroad Company

Mouth of the Columbia River, Oregon Territory, 1841

A map of the mouth of the Columbia River, Oregon Territory as surveyed by the United States Exploring Expedition in 1841 under commander Charles Wilkes. Relief shown by hachures. Depths shown by soundings. Inset details soundings of the Bar of Columbia River. Item has also been identified as bb017536.

Wilkes, Charles, 1798-1877

Mouth of the Little White Salmon - Columbia

Platinum print of the mouth of the LIttle White Salmon River at the Columbia River. Handwritten inscription on the back of the print reads, "Mouth of the LIttle White Salmon - Columbia." Signed, "Lily E. White," in the lower right corner of the print.

White, Lily E.

Klickitat River - Washington

Platinum print of the Klickitat River in Washington. Handwritten inscription on the back of the print reads, "Klickitat River - Washington." Signed, "Lily E. White," in the lower right corner of the print.

White, Lily E.

Memaloose Island on the Columbia

Platinum print of Memaloose Island on the Columbia River. Memaloose island is a sacred space and traditional burial ground for the Chinookan people. Handwritten inscription on the back of the print reads, "Mumaloos (sic) Island on the Columbia - Indian Burial Ground." Signed, "Lily E. White," in the lower right corner of the print.

White, Lily E.

Shell Mountain - Columbia

Platinum print of Shell Mountain on the Columbia River. Handwritten inscription on the back of the print reads, "Shell Mt. - Columbia." Signed, "Lily E. White," in the lower right corner of the print.

White, Lily E.

Storm from the Sea - On the Columbia

Platinum print of storm clouds gathering over hills with the Columbia River in the foreground. Handwritten inscription on the back of the print reads, "Storm from the Sea - On the Columbia." Signed, "Copyrighted by Lily E. White," in the lower right corner of the print.

White, Lily E.

Columbia Fish Wheel and Weir

Platinum print of a fish wheel and weir extending into the Columbia River below the Cascades. Handwritten inscription on the back of the print reads, "Columbia Fish Wheel and Weir." A caption accompanying the photograph published in Pacific Monthly in 1905 reads, "A fish wheel shown at the right extending from an island near the middle of the river. The scene is below the Cascades." The photograph is attributed to Sarah Hall Ladd and is signed, "S.H.L.," in the lower right corner of the print." This print is the same as Plate 16 from Album 201.

Ladd, Sarah Hall, 1857-1927

Pillars of Faith

Platinum print of a rimrock in the Columbia River Gorge. Alternatively titled in some publications as, "The Palisades of the Columbia." Handwritten inscription on the back of the print reads, "Pillars of Faith - Above the Dalles - Columbia." The photograph has been attributed in publications to both Sarah Hall Ladd and Lily E. White. Signed, "S.H.L.," in the lower right corner of the print. This print is the same as Plate 1 from Album 201.

White, Lily E.

Columbia River 10 Miles from the Dalles

Platinum print of the a boat with "Lyle" painted on the back moored along the banks of the Columbia River. Handwritten inscription on the back of the print reads, "Columbia River 10 Miles from the Dalles." The print has also been published as, "Lyle on the Columbia." This photograph has been attributed in publications to both Sarah Hall Ladd and Lily E. White. Signed, "S. H. L.," in the lower right corner of the print.

White, Lily E.

Gateway to the Inland Empire

Platinum print of the Columbia River with mountains visible in the distance. Handwritten inscription on the back of the print reads, "Gateway to the Inland Empire - Opening of the Columbia." The photograph has been attributed in publications to both Sarah Hall Ladd and LIly E. White. Signed, "Lily E. White," in the lower right corner of the print.

White, Lily E.

Storm Mountain - Columbia

Platinum print of storm clouds gathering over Cook Hill and Dog Mountain on the Columbia River. The photograph is looking west. Handwritten inscription on the back of the print reads, "Storm Mountain - Columbia." Signed, "Lily E. White," in the lower right corner of the print.

White, Lily E.

In the Dalles of the Columbia

Platinum print of rock formations at the Dalles of the Columbia. Handwritten inscription on the back of the print reads, "In the Dalles of the Columbia." Signed, "Lily E. White," in the lower right corner of the print.

White, Lily E.

Results 1 to 28 of 1291