Cast-iron buildings on Front Avenue at Ankeny, from First Avenue. Probably taken from the New Market Theater. From left to right: the Dekum & Reed block, the Johnson Building, and the Dodd Block. Automobiles line the streets. Sign advertises Gadsby’s Home Furnisher. Several storefronts are for sale or lease.
Clothes dry on a line in a vacant lot in front of a cast-iron building on the Allen and Lewis Block. Looking east from First Avenue. Half of a rooftop sign is visible, advertising Weinhard Beer since 1856.
A woman walks into the Miles Building, constructed in 1857, on the SW corner of Front Avenue and Pine Streets. Taken October 20, 1938. Looking west up Pine from Front Avenue, Kamm Building in background.
Front Avenue looking south from under the Burnside Bridge, Oct. 18, 1938. The two buildings visible were, from left, the Johnson Building and Dodd’s Block, on the east side of Front Avenue facing each other across Ankeny Street. Automobiles are parked on both sides of the street.
123 and 127 SW First Avenue, Oct. 18, 1938. Part of the former Glisan's Block, on the east side of First Avenue just south of SW Ash. Pacific States Rubber Co. conducted business in this location from at least 1919. Sign reads, “Pacific States Rubber Co. M’f’r’s. Quality Leather Belting.” Upstairs is a sign for Wakefield, Fries & Co. Realtors.
Front Avenue looking south from the Burnside Bridge, Oct. 16, 1938. The 1st building from the left was the Johnson and Spaulding Building, followed by the Johnson Building, Dodd Block, and Cook’s Building. On Front Avenue, between Ash and Pine.