Photograph showing the exterior of Station L taken from across the water (now the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) with several buildings visible. The hog fuel pile can be seen on the right, and several loaded barges can be seen next to the docks on the left side of the image. The Willamette River is in the foreground. Part of the image is masked with paper.
Full-length portrait of an unidentified man standing next to a monoplane. He is facing front and looking to the right. He has one elbow on the plane’s nose and the other hand in his pocket. He is wearing a jacket, breeches, and boots. On the side of the plane are the words “Bidwell-Yale Air Service.” See related image No. 374N0274.
Portrait of Leo Deigel and Horton Smith outdoors, standing on a lawn and holding golf clubs. Both men are wearing sweaters, knickers, and golf shoes. The man on the right is also pictured in image Nos. 371N4623 and 371N4627. Likely taken at the 1930 Oregon Open held at what is now Columbia Edgewater Country Club.
Photograph showing an unidentified man sitting in the passenger seat of a Ford car in the street outside the Oregon Journal building (now the Jackson Tower) on Southwest Broadway in Portland. Standing to the left of the car are George L. Baker and two unidentified men. A crowd of people are watching in the background. A variety of text is painted on the car. On the side are the words: “Open challenge / Ford / Endurance & economy run / 10 days - 10 nights / without stopping motor.” To the right of those words is the text “A FOUR that Out-Performs the SIX.” Above the front wheel are the words; “Morris Tavlinsky & his driving ac [letter obscured] / Alternating at the wheel.”
Photograph showing the entrance to Mary Cullen’s Cottage in the Journal Building on Broadway (now Southwest Broadway) in downtown Portland. Painted above the door are the words “Mary Cullen’s Cottage,” and painted above the bay window to the left of the door are the words “Household Arts Service of The JOURNAL.” Mary Cullen’s Cottage housed the Oregon Journal’s household department and a demonstration kitchen. The Journal Building is now known as the Jackson Tower.
Photograph showing the exterior of the convent of the Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon near Beaverton. The building also housed the Sisters’ school, St. Mary of the Valley. The convent is four stories with a brick exterior and a dome at center.
Photograph showing two unidentified men with a monoplane. The man at left is crouching in front of the plane and holding a sprayer. The man at right is bending over and using a rag on the plane’s nose. See related image No. 374N0272.
Photograph of T. B. Wilcox Jr. Hall, a building used to house poultry and pets at the Pacific International Livestock Exposition in Portland. The building was dedicated and used for the first time during the 1930 exposition.
Photograph of Oak Grove Dam showing intake on river from high angle (Lake Harriet?). To the right of the intake, a small wooden building is at the top of a hillside, with several electrical lines visible. Below the building, a large pipe goes into the hillside.
Photograph showing the interior of the St. Johns office for the Portland Electric Power Company (PEPCO). A floor display shows large appliances with names such as “Thor,” “Hotpoint Electric Maid,” and “Westinghouse.” Paper decorations hang from the ceiling.
Photograph showing the interior of the St. Johns office for the Portland Electric Power Company (PEPCO). A counter display shows small appliances and housewares. Paper decorations hang from the ceiling, as well as large chandeliers.
Photograph showing the interior of the Hillsboro office for the Portland Electric Power Company (PEPCO). Several large appliances are displayed in the middle of the room, with a smaller display at the back. A counter and desk area can be seen in the background.
Photograph showing the interior of the Hillsboro office for the Portland Electric Power Company (PEPCO). A large two-sided counter faces the front of the office, with several smaller desks in the center of the photograph.
Photograph of the exterior of the Hillsboro office for the Portland Electric Power Company (PEPCO). A window display shows various housewares and appliances, and two automobiles are parked on the street outside. An electrified sign says “Pep Co Light Power.”
Photograph showing the interior of the Grand Central Market at Southeast Eighth Avenue and Southeast Morrison Street in Portland. Six unidentified men wearing matching knee-length coats are stocking cans and boxes on shelves and displays. In the background is the meat department. See related image No. 371N5637.
Photograph showing the interior of the Grand Central Market at Southeast Eighth Avenue and Southeast Morrison Street in Portland. In the foreground are shelves and displays of canned and bottled goods. In the background is the meat department. See related image No. 371N5636.
Photograph of Tommy Luke, in the role of Rex Oregonus, sliding off a crouching elephant at Multnomah Civic Stadium during the 1929 Rose Festival. Rex Oregonus was co-regent with the Rose Festival queen. Portland Mayor George L. Baker is walking nearby on the right side of the image. The number 3 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the image. Also see image No. 371N2998.
Portrait of a man wearing a robe, sash, and plumed turban. He is standing on a float with six young women in matching gowns and headdresses. The man is holding a key to the city made from radishes, beets, and carrots. The words “Rex Oregonus” are painted along the bottom of the float. This photograph was probably taken at the 1929 Rose Festival, when Tommy Luke was crowned Rex Oregonus, co-regent with the festival queen. The number 8 is written on the negative and is faintly visible in the lower right corner of the image. Also see image No. 371N4402.
Portrait of Emery Zimmerman and Al Zimmerman outdoors, one sitting on a bench and the other standing next to him. Both are holding golf clubs and wearing golf clothes. The text “Emory and E L Zimmerman” is written on the negative and is visible at the bottom of the image.
Photograph of three golfers, at the Columbia Country Club in Portland (now known as the Columbia Edgewater Country Club). The three men are holding golf clubs and are gathered next to a ball on a tee. All three are wearing collared shirts, ties, sweaters, knickers, and golf shoes. The man on the left is Mel Smith and the man at center is Frank Dolp; the man at right is Walter Hagen. Also see image No. 371N4571.
Photograph of three unidentified Oregon State troopers on motorcycles in front of a crowd on Broadway in Portland. The text “State Police” and an “X” are written on the negative and are visible on the right side of the image.
Photograph showing a four-story brick building at Northeast Sandy Boulevard and Northeast 22nd Avenue in Portland. The building has a hexagonal gable with a tile roof. The view is of the northeast side of the building. On the right side of the photograph is a sign on the building for “Peake The Shade Man.”