Print preview Close

Showing 6940 results

Collections
cellulose nitrate film
Print preview View:

6940 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Staff of car dealership with vehicle?

Photograph showing employees of the Windolph Motor Company posing with a parked car (1934 Graham custom eight, manufactured by Graham-Paige) outside their building (15th and West Burnside, Portland) in 1934. The car has a dealer license plate. The men in the center of the frame near the driver side of the vehicle are likely the Windolph brothers (Carl, Fred and Joseph Windolph), along with a representative from Graham Motor Cars. The words “NEW” and “GRAHAM” are painted in large letters on the building window in the background. This image was published in the April 29, 1934 issue of the Oregon Journal.

Windolph

Head and shoulders portrait of a man, likely one of the Windolph brothers of Windolph Motor Group (Carl, Fred and Joseph Windolph) in Portland, facing right and looking toward the front. He has a mustache and is wearing a suit jacket, collared shirt, and tie. The name “Windolph” is written on the negative and is visible on the right side of the image.

Miller and Captain Hingsburg

Photograph of two men, both wearing suits and ties, standing next to an airplane. The text “Miller” is written on the negative above the man on the left, and the text “Capt Hingsburg” is written above the man on the right. The Man on the left may be Pilot W. T. Miller Airways Division Extension Superintendent. The man at right may be Captain Frederick C. Hingsburg, chief engineer of the airways division of the United States Department of Commerce.

Majorette

Photograph of an unidentified young woman or teenage girl raising a drum major’s baton. She is standing in the street and people with instruments are visible in the background. She is wearing a helmet and shiny jacket and skirt.

View of Multnomah County Courthouse, Hawthorne Bridge, and downtown Portland buildings

Photograph, taken from a high angle and looking toward the southeast, showing part of downtown Portland. At top is the Willamette River; the Hawthorne Bridge is at upper left and the Ross Island Bridge is visible in the background at upper right. The street at on the lower left side of the image Salmon Street (now Southwest Salmon Street). At center left is the Hotel Geneva at 2nd and Salmon, and in the foreground at right is the Multnomah County Courthouse at 4th and Salmon. The photograph may have been taken from the top of the Public Service Building. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

View of downtown Portland buildings and Hawthorne Bridge

Photograph, taken from a high angle and looking toward the south, showing the Willamette River at left, the Hawthorne Bridge at top, and the downtown buildings between the Hawthorne Bridge and the Morrison Bridge. The Morrison Bridge is partially visible at the lower left edge of the photograph. The intersection at bottom center is Southwest Morrison Street and Southwest 1st Avenue.

1931 Jefferson High School football team

Group portrait of the Jefferson High School football team posing in uniform on the steps outside the school. The text “Jeff 1931” is written on the negative and is visible on the upper right side of the image. The players are unidentified. The man standing in the second row at far right, wearing a “Jefferson” sweatshirt, is coach Eric Waldorf. He is also pictured in image No. 371N2575.

1931 Jefferson High School football team

Group portrait of the Jefferson High School football team posing in uniform on the steps outside the school. The players are unidentified. The man standing in the second row at far right, wearing a “Jefferson” sweatshirt, is coach Eric Waldorf. He is also pictured in image No. 371N2575.

Jefferson High School basketball team

Group portrait of unidentified Jefferson High School basketball players and Jefferson coach Leonard Gehrke (back row, second from right) posing on the steps outside a building. They are wearing matching sweatpants and sweatshirts with the word “Jefferson” on the chest. The player in the center of the front row is holding a basketball. The number 5 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the image. Gehrke is also pictured in image No. 371N0911.

Leonard Gehrke, Jefferson High School basketball coach

Portrait of a smiling man wearing a sweatshirt with the word “Jefferson” across the chest. The number 6 and the name “Lonard Gehrke” are written on the negative and are visible at the top of the image. The name on the negative is probably a misspelling of “Leonard Gehrke,” basketball coach at Jefferson High School. Gehrke is also pictured in image No. 371N4344.

Thomas Jefferson statue, Jefferson High School, Portland

Photograph of a bronze statue of Thomas Jefferson on the campus of Jefferson High School in Portland. The figure of Jefferson is sitting in a chair with one arm resting on the chair back. On the side of the base is the following text, all in uppercase letters: “ ‘Bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will, to be rightful, must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal laws must protect, and to violate would be oppression.’ / Thomas Jefferson.” A cropped version of this photograph was one of 13 that were published on Page 1, Section 2, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, March 10, 1929. The photographs were part of a “motorlog” describing a car trip around Portland to view public art. The spread included photographs of the statues and the car driven on the trip; a map of the route; and a story, headlined “Memorials Grace City / Notable Works of Art Adorn Parks and Plazas of Portland, as Motorlog Shows.” The photographs were published under their own headline and subheading: “Portland’s Statues Viewed Via Motor / Delightful Drive in Reo Flying Cloud over Route that Includes Locations of Twelve of Portland’s Art Treasures.” The tour began and ended at the Journal Building at Southwest Broadway and Yamhill in downtown Portland. The Jefferson statue was stop number 12 on the trip. See related image Nos. 371N5421, 371N5422, 371N5461, 371N2898, 371N2900, and 371N2901, which were also part of the spread.

Peggy Carper, Queen of the May at Grant High School

Three-quarters portrait of a teenage girl sitting next to a sculpture outside Ulysses S. Grant High School in Portland. She is smiling and is wearing a blouse, sweater vest, and skirt. A cropped version of this photograph was published in the Oregon Journal on May 7, 1932, with the following caption: “Miss Peggy Carper, with curly red hair, will be Queen of the May at the Grant high annual May fete, May 20. Peggy was elected by popular vote from girls of the seventh term class. She is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. F. Carper, 560 East 38th street north.” The name “Peggy Carper” is written on the negative and is faintly visible on the right side of the image.

Station L, exterior view

Photograph showing the exterior of Station L taken from across the water (now the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) with several buildings visible. The hog fuel pile can be seen on the right, and several loaded barges can be seen next to the docks on the left side of the image. The Willamette River is in the foreground. Part of the image is masked with paper.

Station L, tower support

Photograph showing five men looking at the camera and standing in the metal framework on a support tower in the process of being built. Water and a section of a dock can be seen on the right side of the image, next to a large brick building with several rows of windows. Written on the negative in pencil is “E-301-L-3269, first panel of tower support for cinder collector, Sta. L., May 13 1922.”

Harbor wall near completion on west side of Willamette River, Portland

Photograph showing the harbor wall near completion on the west side of the Willamette River in Portland. The photograph was taken from the top of the wall and the view is toward the south. Dirt and construction debris are piled at right. In the distance are the 1905 Morrison Bridge and the Hawthorne Bridge. A cropped version of this photograph was one of three that were published on Page 24 of the Oregon Journal on April 4, 1929. The photographs had the following headline: “Waterfront Takes on New Dress.” This photograph had the following caption: “Looking south along the harbor wall toward the Morrison street bridge.” This photograph may be related to image No. 371N5641.

Oregon Pony locomotive on display at Union Station, Portland

Photograph of the Oregon Pony locomotive on display outdoors at Union Station in Portland. A plaque next to the locomotive reads: “The Oregon Pony / First Locomotive in the Pacific Northwest / This engine was operated in 1862 and 1863 in freight and passenger service on the first Oregon railroad on the southern bank of the Columbia River between Bonneville and Cascade Locks.”

Tito Schipa posing on Oregon Pony locomotive

Portrait of the Italian tenor Tito Schipa posing on the Oregon Pony. He is standing at the front of the locomotive and facing to the right. He is holding the control lever with one hand and shading his eyes with the other hand. The name “Tito Schipa” is written on the negative and is visible on the left side of the image. See related image Nos. 371N2266 and 371N2267.

Results 141 to 168 of 6940