Showing 211 results

Collections
Oregon Automobiles With digital objects
Print preview View:

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road with view of Mount Hood

Photograph showing the view of Mount Hood from the newly completed Cloud Cap Road, on the mountain’s north side, in October 1926. An unidentified person is standing next to a parked Oregon Journal car and looking at the view. On October 6, 1926, the Oregon Journal published three related photographs and a front-page story about the completion of the road, headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See related image Nos. 374N0471, 374N0472, 374N0502, 374N0519, 374N0521, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0524, 374N0526, and 374N0527.

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road with view of Mount Hood

Photograph showing the view of Mount Hood from a segment of the newly completed Cloud Cap Road on the north side of the mountain in October 1926. In the foreground, an Oregon Journal car is stopped on the road. The words “Staff Cameraman” are visible on the cover of the car’s spare tire. A cropped version of this photograph was one of three published on the front page of the Oregon Journal on Wednesday, October 6, 1926, under the headline “Cloud Cap Road Is Way of Splendor.” The photographs had the following caption: “Scenes along newly-completed spur road leading from Mouth Hood Loop highway to Cloud Cap inn, giving suggestion of scenic wonders unfolded along trip.” This photograph had the additional caption information: “View of Mount Hood and especially Elliott [sic] glacier from the new road.” The photographs accompanied a story headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See image Nos. 374N0502 and 374N0521, which were published with this photograph, and additional related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0472, 374N0519, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0524, 374N0526, and 374N0527.

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road with view of Mount Hood

Photograph showing the view of Mount Hood from a segment of the newly completed Cloud Cap Road in October 1926. An Oregon Journal car is stopped on the road at left. On October 6, 1926, the Oregon Journal published three related photographs and a front-page story about the completion of the road, headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. Two years after this photograph was taken, a cropped version was part of of a photo essay published on Page 1, Section 2, of the Oregon Journal on May 27, 1928. The photographs accompanied a story, headlined “Wild Forest Scenery at City’s Door,” about the views along the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Note: See related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0471, 374N0502, 374N0519, 374N0521, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0524, 374N0526, and 374N0527, also taken on the Cloud Cap Road in October 1926.

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road, Mount Hood

Photograph showing an Oregon Journal car driving around a curve on the newly completed Cloud Cap Road on the north side of Mount Hood in October 1926. A cropped version of this photograph was one of three published on the front page of the Oregon Journal on Wednesday, October 6, 1926, under the headline “Cloud Cap Road Is Way of Splendor.” The photographs had the following caption: “Scenes along newly-completed spur road leading from Mouth Hood Loop highway to Cloud Cap inn, giving suggestion of scenic wonders unfolded along trip.” This photograph had the additional caption information: “One of the many wide curves, showing the banking at the outer edge.” The photographs accompanied a story headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See image Nos. 374N0471 and 374N0521, which were published with this photograph, and additional related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0472, 374N0519, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0524, 374N0526, and 374N0527.

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road, Mount Hood

Photograph, taken from the front, showing an Oregon Journal car on the newly completed gravel Cloud Cap Road on the north side of Mount Hood in October 1926. The road is surrounded by forest. On October 6, 1926, the Oregon Journal published three related photographs and a front-page story about the completion of the road, headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0471, 374N0472, 374N0502, 374N0521, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0524, 374N0526, and 374N0527.

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road, Mount Hood

Photograph, taken from the rear, showing an Oregon Journal car on the newly completed gravel Cloud Cap Road on the north side of Mount Hood in October 1926. The road is surrounded by forest. The words “Staff Cameraman” are visible on the cover of the car’s spare tire. On October 6, 1926, the Oregon Journal published three related photographs and a front-page story about the completion of the road, headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0471, 374N0472, 374N0502, 374N0519, 374N0521, 374N0523, 374N0524, 374N0526, and 374N0527.

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road, Mount Hood

Photograph, taken from the rear, of an Oregon Journal car next to a rocky outcropping on the newly completed gravel Cloud Cap Road on the north side of Mount Hood in October 1926. The words “Staff Cameraman” and “Oregon Journal” are visible on the cover of the car’s spare tire. On October 6, 1926, the Oregon Journal published three related photographs and a front-page story about the completion of the road, headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0471, 374N0472, 374N0502, 374N0519, 374N0521, 374N0522, 374N0524, 374N0526, and 374N0527.

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road with view of Mount Hood

Photograph, taken from the rear, of an Oregon Journal car on the newly completed gravel Cloud Cap Road on the north side of Mount Hood in October 1926. The road is bordered by forest, and the mountain’s peak is visible in the background. The words “Staff Cameraman” and “Oregon Journal” are visible on the cover of the car’s spare tire. On October 6, 1926, the Oregon Journal published three related photographs and a front-page story about the completion of the road, headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0471, 374N0472, 374N0502, 374N0519, 374N0521, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0526, and 374N0527.

Crowd and Ford car outside Oregon Journal building

Photograph showing an unidentified man sitting in the passenger seat of a Ford car in the street outside the Oregon Journal building (now the Jackson Tower) on Southwest Broadway in Portland. Standing to the left of the car are George L. Baker and two unidentified men. A crowd of people are watching in the background. A variety of text is painted on the car. On the side are the words: “Open challenge / Ford / Endurance & economy run / 10 days - 10 nights / without stopping motor.” To the right of those words is the text “A FOUR that Out-Performs the SIX.” Above the front wheel are the words; “Morris Tavlinsky & his driving ac [letter obscured] / Alternating at the wheel.”

Masonic Temple, West Park Street, Portland

Photograph of the Masonic Temple on West Park Street (now Southwest Park Avenue) in Portland. The photograph was taken at the intersection of Park and Madison Street. The streets next to the building are lined with parked cars. The building is now part of the Portland Art Museum and is known as the Mark Building. See related image No. 371N5383.

Two men with car under “Win this Buick” sign at Piggly Wiggly store

Photograph showing two men at a Piggly Wiggly store posing with a Buick being given away as part of an Ivory Soap promotion. They are standing in the store doorway under a sign that reads “WIN this BUICK. Ask Us.” The men are unidentified; the man at right is a Piggly Wiggly employee. The photograph was probably taken at the Piggly Wiggly at 2030 Northeast Broadway in Portland.

Frank Fink Company warehouse, Portland

Photograph showing two vehicles parked outside the Frank Fink Company warehouse at 1310 Southeast Union Avenue (now Southeast Martin Luther King Jr Boulevard) in Portland. On the side of the building are signs reading “Best Foods,” “Frank Fink Company / Food Distributors; and Nucoa. Next to a loading bay is a sign reading “Frank Fink Company / Distributors of Best Foods Products / Borden’s Cheese / Blue Moon Spreads.” This building is also shown in image No. 372A1215, when it was the Hickman Products Company Ltd. warehouse. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Hickman Products Company warehouse, Portland

Photograph showing two unidentified men and a parked vehicle outside the Hickman Products Ltd. Company warehouse at at 1310 Southeast Union Avenue (now Southeast Martin Luther King Jr Boulevard) in Portland. This building is also shown in image No. 372A1200, when it was the Frank Fink Company warehouse.

T. E. McGraw and A. S. Butler receiving prizes from Portland Mayor Joseph K. Carson

Portrait of T. E. McGraw (left front), A. S. Butler (left rear), and Portland Mayor Joseph K. Carson with a 1937 Plymouth sedan in February 1937. Carson is handing the car keys to McGraw and a check to Butler. A sign on the car reads: “This car won by Mr. T. McGraw / Portland, Oregon / For submitting the best limerick in the Listerine cough drop limerick contest / Car delivered by W. W. Shipley Co.” Butler received $100 as the owner of Gloden's pharmacy in Portland, which sold the cough drops to McGraw.

Car on lift at Fred Meyer Hollywood Market Oil Station, Portland?

Photograph showing a car on a raised lift, probably at the Fred Meyer Hollywood Market Oil Station, located behind the Fred Meyer store at East 41st Street North and Sandy Boulevard (now Northeast 41st Avenue and Northeast Sandy Boulevard) in Portland. An unidentified person is standing below the lift and working on the vehicle. This photograph is probably related to image No. 371N5600.

Two unidentified men with Buckeye Malt car

Full-length portrait of two unidentified men standing in the street next to a parked car. They are facing front and wearing hats, suits, and ties. On the side of the car are the words “Buckeye Malt / Choice of the Nation / Duo-malted / Vacuum packed” and “’It’s Wonderful Stuff.’” On the door is a logo that may depict a camel with a can of Buckeye malt syrup on its back. The photograph may have been taken on Southwest Broadway in Portland.

Unidentified man and woman posing with promotional car, 18th and Couch, Portland

Photograph showing an unidentified man and woman posing with a promotional car on the street outside St. Mary’s Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception at Northwest 18th Avenue and Northwest Couch Street in Portland. The man is wearing a jacket, tie, and kilt. The woman is wearing a jacket, blouse, and skirt, and is standing next to the open passenger door with one foot inside the car. On top of the car is a large sign consisting of the General Gasoline name and pegasus emblem. On the side of the car are the words “Ask the driver / Test your skill and win a prize.” See related image No. 371N5489.

Unidentified man and woman posing with promotional car, 18th and Couch, Portland

Photograph showing an unidentified man and woman posing with a promotional car on the street outside St. Mary’s Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception at Northwest 18th Avenue and Northwest Couch Street in Portland. The man is wearing a jacket, tie, and kilt; the woman is wearing a jacket, blouse, and skirt. On top of the car is a large sign consisting of the General Gasoline name and pegasus emblem. On the side of the car are the words “Ask the driver / Test your skill and win a prize / Pontiac / Economy / Straight Eight.” On the back of the car is the name of the Braley & Graham dealership. See related image No. 371N5491.

Two vehicles parked outside Holman and Lutz mortuary, 14th and Sandy, Portland

Photograph showing two vehicles parked outside the Holman and Lutz mortuary at Northeast Sandy Boulevard and Northeast 14th Avenue in Portland. On the driver’s-side door of the vehicle at right, a hearse, is a plate that reads “HOLMAN AND LUTZ.” See related image Nos. 371N5634 and 371N5635. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Two vehicles parked outside Holman and Lutz mortuary, 14th and Sandy, Portland

Photograph, taken from the side, showing two vehicles parked outside the Holman and Lutz mortuary at Northeast Sandy Boulevard and Northeast 14th Avenue in Portland. A plate attached to the passenger door of the vehicle at right, a hearse, reads “HOLMAN AND LUTZ.” A second plate attached to the window reads “FUNERAL COACH.” See related image Nos. 371N5629 and 371N5635. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Funeral coach parked outside Holman and Lutz mortuary, 14th and Sandy, Portland

Photograph, taken from the side, showing a hearse parked outside the Holman and Lutz mortuary at Northeast Sandy Boulevard and Northeast 14th Avenue in Portland. A plate attached to the passenger door reads “HOLMAN AND LUTZ.” A second plate attached to the window reads “FUNERAL COACH.” See related image Nos. 371N5629 and 371N5634. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Cars outside The Dorchester House, Oceanlake, Oregon

Photograph showing cars parked outside The Dorchester House, a hotel, restaurant, and gas station off Highway 101 in Oceanlake, Oregon, now part of Lincoln City. The view is of the side of the hotel visible from the highway and shows a three-story building with a gabled roof, dormer windows, and two gasoline pumps outside. The Dorchester opened in July 1935. See related image Nos. 372A0878, 372A0880, 372A0883, 372A0884, 372A0885, and 372A0886. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

View of main street and new buildings in Bandon three months after fire

Photograph showing new shop buildings and cars along the main street in Bandon, Oregon, in December 1936, three months after a forest fire destroyed the town. On the left side of the street are signs for McNair Hardware Company, Gants Clothing, and Carr’s Variety Store. On the right side of the street are signs for Erdman’s City Market and the Haga & Church grocery store. See related image Nos. 372A1212, 372A1229, 372A1230, 372A1231, and 372A1232. Image note: The number 2 is written on the negative and is partially visible in the lower right corner of the image.

Results 57 to 84 of 211