Print preview Close

Showing 2004 results

Collections
United States cellulose nitrate film
Print preview View:

2004 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Thomas Jefferson statue, Jefferson High School, Portland

Photograph of a bronze statue of Thomas Jefferson on the campus of Jefferson High School in Portland. The figure of Jefferson is sitting in a chair with one arm resting on the chair back. On the side of the base is the following text, all in uppercase letters: “ ‘Bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will, to be rightful, must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal laws must protect, and to violate would be oppression.’ / Thomas Jefferson.” A cropped version of this photograph was one of 13 that were published on Page 1, Section 2, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, March 10, 1929. The photographs were part of a “motorlog” describing a car trip around Portland to view public art. The spread included photographs of the statues and the car driven on the trip; a map of the route; and a story, headlined “Memorials Grace City / Notable Works of Art Adorn Parks and Plazas of Portland, as Motorlog Shows.” The photographs were published under their own headline and subheading: “Portland’s Statues Viewed Via Motor / Delightful Drive in Reo Flying Cloud over Route that Includes Locations of Twelve of Portland’s Art Treasures.” The tour began and ended at the Journal Building at Southwest Broadway and Yamhill in downtown Portland. The Jefferson statue was stop number 12 on the trip. See related image Nos. 371N5421, 371N5422, 371N5461, 371N2898, 371N2900, and 371N2901, which were also part of the spread.

Peggy Carper, Queen of the May at Grant High School

Three-quarters portrait of a teenage girl sitting next to a sculpture outside Ulysses S. Grant High School in Portland. She is smiling and is wearing a blouse, sweater vest, and skirt. A cropped version of this photograph was published in the Oregon Journal on May 7, 1932, with the following caption: “Miss Peggy Carper, with curly red hair, will be Queen of the May at the Grant high annual May fete, May 20. Peggy was elected by popular vote from girls of the seventh term class. She is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. F. Carper, 560 East 38th street north.” The name “Peggy Carper” is written on the negative and is faintly visible on the right side of the image.

Station L, exterior view

Photograph showing the exterior of Station L taken from across the water (now the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) with several buildings visible. The hog fuel pile can be seen on the right, and several loaded barges can be seen next to the docks on the left side of the image. The Willamette River is in the foreground. Part of the image is masked with paper.

Station L, tower support

Photograph showing five men looking at the camera and standing in the metal framework on a support tower in the process of being built. Water and a section of a dock can be seen on the right side of the image, next to a large brick building with several rows of windows. Written on the negative in pencil is “E-301-L-3269, first panel of tower support for cinder collector, Sta. L., May 13 1922.”

Harbor wall near completion on west side of Willamette River, Portland

Photograph showing the harbor wall near completion on the west side of the Willamette River in Portland. The photograph was taken from the top of the wall and the view is toward the south. Dirt and construction debris are piled at right. In the distance are the 1905 Morrison Bridge and the Hawthorne Bridge. A cropped version of this photograph was one of three that were published on Page 24 of the Oregon Journal on April 4, 1929. The photographs had the following headline: “Waterfront Takes on New Dress.” This photograph had the following caption: “Looking south along the harbor wall toward the Morrison street bridge.” This photograph may be related to image No. 371N5641.

Oregon Pony locomotive on display at Union Station, Portland

Photograph of the Oregon Pony locomotive on display outdoors at Union Station in Portland. A plaque next to the locomotive reads: “The Oregon Pony / First Locomotive in the Pacific Northwest / This engine was operated in 1862 and 1863 in freight and passenger service on the first Oregon railroad on the southern bank of the Columbia River between Bonneville and Cascade Locks.”

Tito Schipa posing on Oregon Pony locomotive

Portrait of the Italian tenor Tito Schipa posing on the Oregon Pony. He is standing at the front of the locomotive and facing to the right. He is holding the control lever with one hand and shading his eyes with the other hand. The name “Tito Schipa” is written on the negative and is visible on the left side of the image. See related image Nos. 371N2266 and 371N2267.

Cazadero Dam

Photograph looking upstream, below proposed upper dam site at Cazadero Dam/Station G. A railroad track and flume can be seen running into the distance around a hillside, and two possible construction vehicles are visible. The river can be seen on the left side of the frame.

Cazadero Dam, flume

Photograph taken from a side angle, showing the flume at the Cazadero Dam/Station G. Below the wooden flume is a dirt hillside with rocks, and a long wooden building can be seen in the background on the right side of the frame.

Cazadero Dam

Photograph of the Cazadero Dam taken in front of the spillway. Water flows over the ledge into a pool at the base, and another stream of water can be seen spilling down on the right side of the frame. The stacked wooden dam structure is visible to the left of the main spillway.

Cazadero Dam, suspension bridge at powerhouse

Photograph taken from a side angle, looking across a suspension bridge at Cazadero Dam/Station G. The bridge leads to steps, which go to the top of the hill across the water. Several buildings and transmission poles can be seen at the top of the hill. On the left side of the frame, the edge of a brick building can be seen.

Cazadero Dam, employee cottages

Photograph taken from across the water, showing the employee cottages at Cazadero Dam/Station G. Building can be seen at the top of the hill above the river, with several small wooden structures in front of three long buildings. A railroad car is parked on the left side of the frame.

Cazadero Dam, unit #3

Photograph of generator unit #3 at Cazadero Dam/Station G, taken two months after the 1908 accident due to equipment malfunction. On the front of the unit “General Electric Company” is written. A man stands on the left side of the frame with one hand on a wheel.

Results 57 to 84 of 2004