Print preview Close

Showing 443 results

Collections
Marion County (Or.)
Print preview View:

435 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Student Dining Room, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1916

Black and white photograph of the Dining Room at the Oregon State School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location. Students of various ages sit as several tables throughout the room and most of them are facing the camera. The tables are covered in table clothes and set for a meal. Boys sit on the right side of the room while girls sit on the left. In the background, a curtain wall hiding a dishwashing area is visible. The school has occupied this location since 1910, though the dining room location has shifted many times. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD dining room 1916". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Farmland and Buildings, Oregon School for the Deaf, c.1917

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's farmland and farm buildings on Locust Street. The school has occupied this location since 1910, but farming ceased in 1970. The photograph is mounted on a dark green mat and a thick black line is drawn around the photograph to frame it. Below the photograph is text that reads: "OSD farm, c.1917". A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD farm on Locust and Maple St - 1917". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Student Dining Room, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1900-1901

A black and white photograph of the dining room of the Oregon School for the Deaf at Turner Road. There are several rectangular tables throughout the room, covered in table clothes and set for a meal. Wooden chairs sit at the tables. The school occupied the Turner Road location from 1895-1910. In the lower right corner of the photograph is text that reads: "N.W. Eng. Co. Salem" The photograph is mounted on a black mat. Below the photograph is a handwritten note that reads: "O.S.D. pupils' dining room - c. 1900 at Turner Rd." A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Oregon School for Deaf 1900 on Turner Rd"

Oregon School for the Deaf

Students Picking Strawberries and Cherries, Oregon School for the Deaf, c.1915

Black and white photograph of about twenty students holding containers filled with recently picked strawberries and cherries in the fields of the school's Locust Street location. The school has occupied this location since 1910, but farming ceased in 1970. They are a mix of boys and girls of various ages and are standing in a field of strawberry plants. The boy kneeling in the lower right corner of the photograph is Edward Tillinghast Jr., the son of Edward Tillinghast Sr., Superintendent of the school from 1906-1922. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD deaf children picking strawberries and cherries - ca. 1915". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Superintendent's House, Oregon School for the Deaf, c.1914

A sepia-toned photograph of the Superintendent's House at the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location. The home is a two-storied wooden structure with a large front porch and brick chimney. Edward Tillinghast Jr, the son of Superintendent Tillinghast, stands on the front steps. The photograph is mounted on a black mat. A handwritten note under the photograph reads: "New home of Superintendent - built 1914. (razed in 1973)"

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boy's Dormitory from Ground, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1957

A black and white photograph of Lindstrom Hall, the new Boy's Dormitory of the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location in 1957. The school has occupied this location since 1910. The photograph is taken from the ground near the building. The ground is unlandscaped and there are a few trees around the building. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Salem Ore OSSD New Boys' Dormitory, completed August 1957, named Lindstrom Hall (honoring Dr. T. A. Lindstrom, deaf teacher of 48 years - 1906-1954)". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Aerial photograph of Campus, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1957-1958

Black and white photograph of the campus of the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location and the surrounding neighborhoods. The buildings that make up the school fill the center of the photograph, with the surrounding neighborhood in the background and farmland in the foreground. The school has occupied this location since 1910. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Oregon State School for the Deaf campus, 1957-58 Salem Ore." The Oregon State School for the Deaf was the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Main Building and Drive, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1945

A black and white photograph of the Main Building of the Oregon School for the Deaf and part of the driveway leading to it at its Locust Street location. The school has occupied this location since 1910, but the Main Building was demolished in 1975. The building is a large, three-story brick structure with tall columns across the front entry stairs. Trees and bushes obscure the left side of the building and a curved drive passes in front of it. Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph read: "Oregon State School for the Deaf Main Building - 1945 built 1910 razed 1975." The Oregon State School for the Deaf was the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boy's Dormitory from Roof of Nearby Building, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1957

A black and white photograph of Lindstrom Hall, the new boy's dormitory of the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location. The school has occupied this location since 1910. The photograph is taken from the roof of the building next to it, looking down on the dormitory. The building forms a zig-zag shape and is two stories tall. Sprinklers water the lawn around it. It was named after T.A. Lindstrom, a long time teacher at the school. A note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD's new boys dormitory, completed 1957, as "Lindstrom Hall". " OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Main Building and School Building, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1915-1916

A sepia-toned photograph of the Main Building of the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location in 1915 or 1916. It is a large, three-story brick building with tall columns across the entry stairway. To the right, part of the School Building is visible. To the left is a tree and a double glider swing. The school has occupied this location since 1910, but the Main Building was demolished in 1975. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD main Building and School Building 1915-16" OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Farmland, Hospital Building, and Steam Plant, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1916

A sepia-toned photograph of the grounds of the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location in 1916. The photograph includes the orchard, the barn and farm fields, the Hospital Building, and the Steam Plant. Chickens and people are scattered throughout the orchard going about their daily activities. The school has occupied this location since 1910, but farming ceased in 1970. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Oregon State School for the Deaf farmland and hospital and steam plant 1916". The Oregon State School for the Deaf was the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Central Campus and Buildings, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1922

A black and white photograph of the grounds of the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location in 1922. The school has occupied this location since 1910. The photograph includes the Main Building and School Building, with the Industrial Arts and gym in the background and the Superintendent's house in the foreground. It was taking from a height and is slightly out of focus. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Ore. School for the Deaf campus - 1922 The deaf pupil climbed the tall tree and took a picture."

Oregon School for the Deaf

Front of Main Building, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1945

A black and white photograph of the front of the Main Building of the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location in 1945. The school has occupied this location since 1910, but the Main Building was demolished in 1975. It is a large, three-story brick building with tall columns across the entry stairway. The bottom part of a flagpole is visible in the foreground. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD Main Building on Locust St. taken 1945" OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Main Administrative Building Under Construction, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1909-1910

A black and white photograph of the new main building being constructed for the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location. There is scaffolding around the front of the building but it is almost complete. It is a large, three-story brick building with tall columns across the entry stairway. The school has occupied this location since 1910, though the building was torn down in 1975. The photograph is mounted on a light brown mat. A handwritten note below the photograph reads: "OSSD new Main Building at Locust St, almost completed - 1909-10". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Girls Dormitory Room, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1900-1901

A black and white photograph of a dormitory room in the main building of the Oregon School for the Deaf at Turner Road in 1900-1901. The school was located at Turner Road from 1895-1910. The room has ten matching beds and two dressers. There are wooden chairs between the beds. A handwritten note of the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD Sleeping room 1900-01 at Turner Rd - This print is original 1901 engraving print". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Main Administrative Building and Departmental Building with Students and Staff, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1913

A black and white panoramic photograph of the Main Administrative Building and first Departmental Building of the Oregon School for the Deaf at it's Locust Street location. Staff and students are scattered across the lawn and front stairs of the main building, all facing the camera. These two buildings, along with a heating plant, were the first to be constructed on the new site, which the school moved into in 1910. The photograph is mounted on a light brown mat. A handwritten note below the photograph reads: "Oregon State School for the Deaf on Locust St. - 1913". Oregon State School for the Deaf was the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Oregon School for the Deaf at Corner of Church and Mission Streets, 1892

A black and white photograph of the campus of the Oregon School for the Deaf at its location on Church and Mission Streets. In the foreground are fields divided by fences. In the background are three formerly residential buildings that housed the school between 1879 and 1895. Below the photograph is text that reads: "Oregon School for Deaf Mutes." Oregon School for Deaf Mutes was the name of the school from 1880-1913. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Church & Mission Streets, 1879-1895 3rd location. O.S.D. photo taken 1892. Oregon School for the Deaf - Salem, Oregon"

Oregon School for the Deaf

Hospital Building, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1911-1914

A sepia-toned photograph of the hospital building of the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location. The building is a two-story residential building with a large pillared front porch. Two people, a man and a woman, stand in front of the building. The Hospital Building was used to quarantine sick students to prevent the spread of disease. It was later converted into the Teacher's Cottage for unmarried female teachers. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Hospital Building for isolating cases of contagious or infectious disease. 1911-1914."

Oregon School for the Deaf

Main Building, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1894-1895

A black and white photograph of the outside of the main building of the Oregon School for the Deaf on Turner Road in 1895. It is a four-story brick building located on a hill. A white picket fence runs across the foreground. Construction of the building was completed in 1895 and the school was located there from 1895-1910. A note written on back of photograph reads: "Oregon School for Deaf Mutes 1894-95 at Turner Road. This old picture printed in 1895 from engraving process (1895 Biennial report for OSD)". Oregon School for Deaf Mutes was the name of the school from 1880-1913.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Chapel, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1895

A black and white photograph of the inside of the chapel at the Oregon School for the Deaf on Turner Road in 1895. It shows a large room with a low stage in front and several rows of wooden chairs facing it. The walls are decorated with plant bouquets and portraits. The chapel would have been used for performances and events while the school occupied the Turner Road location from 1895-1910. The photograph is mounted on a dark green mat. Text under the photograph reads "Chapel, 1895." A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads "Oregon School for the Deaf chapel at Turner Rd. - Taken 1895"

Oregon School for the Deaf

Oral history interview with Frankie Bell

This oral history interview with Frankie Bell was conducted by Vinita Howard from November 12-30, 1992. In this interview, Bell discusses her family background and early life in Eugene, Oregon. She discusses her education and attending the University of Oregon. She talks about the difficulty of starting a family while still attending college and trying to have a career. She discusses the various part-time jobs she held until she began working at the Capitol building in Salem, Oregon, in 1966 as a tour guide. She talks about working at the information desk at the Oregon Legislature from 1967 to the time of the interview in 1992, including facing sexism on the job. She describes her observations on the Legislature over her two and a half decades there, including on lobbyists, rumors, and inaugural changes. She also talks about the history of the Capitol building, as well as organizing holidays and exhibits at the building; the gift shop; and school tours. She closes the interview by speaking briefly about the personalities of many legislators over the years.

Bell, Frankie (Frances Estelle), 1937-

Oral history interview with Cecil L. Edwards

This oral history interview with Cecil Edwards was conducted by Irvin Luiten from May 18 to 26, 1988. In the interview, Edwards discusses his family history and early life in Salem, Oregon, including his education and early interest in government. He then talks about his experiences working for the Oregon Legislature beginning in 1933. He discusses the old Capitol building, which burned down in 1935; campaigns he worked on, and the role of lobbyists. He also talks about working as secretary for Governor Charles Sprague. Edwards then describes his service in the National Guard during World War II, particularly working with horses and dogs. He talks about returning to work in Oregon government after the war ended, including serving on the Racing Commission; being fired by Governor Mark Hatfield; lobbying for the Oregon Cattlemen's Association; and returning to the Legislature to work as a secretary. He discusses the numerous committees he was secretary for, including the agriculture committee, fish and game committee, and land-use board. Edwards next discusses his tenure as secretary of the Senate from 1965 to 1975, focusing on many of the legislators he worked with, including Clarence Barton, Debbs Potts, and Jason Boe. He also speaks at length about redistricting, as well as the duties of the secretary of the Senate and Senate rules.

Edwards, Cecil L.

Probate Record, Estate of Jason Lee, 1846

Handwritten probate record written by W.H. Willson, Judge of Probate, regarding the will of Jason Lee. Judge Willson authorizes Alvin F. Maller, who Lee appointed as executor of his will, to fulfill his duties as such. Written on March 25, 1846 in Salem in Champoick County, Oregon.

Willson, W. H.

Jason Lee papers

  • Mss 1212
  • Collection
  • 1834-1845

Collection consists of the personal and professional papers of Reverend Jason Lee. The papers date from 1834 to 1845. Included are Lee’s diary of his overland journey to Oregon and the construction of his mission with entries dating from 1834 to 1838; an 1844 report Lee made to the Methodist Missionary Board; miscellaneous papers related to the illness and death of Lee in 1845; and fragments of an undated biography of Jason Lee likely written by Harvey Kimball Hines. The collection also contains a folder of Anna Maria Pittman Lee's correspondence dated from 1834 to 1835.

Jason Lee was born on June 28, 1803, in Stanstead, Quebec. After his ordination in 1834, Lee and his nephew, Daniel Lee, journeyed overland to Oregon with the intention to establish a mission to minister to the Flathead Indians. He instead established his mission in the Willamette Valley near present-Day Salem, Oregon, in territory that was home to bands of the Kalapuyan people. Lee returned east in 1838 to justify his decision and recruit reinforcements for the Willamette mission, as well as missions at The Dalles and Clatsop plains. In 1840, The Great Reinforcement, a group of 51 men, women, and children, arrived in Oregon on the ship Lausanne in response to Lee’s promotion in the East. In 1843, Jason Lee participated in the founding of Oregon's provisional government and Willamette University. Lee was relieved of his missionary post in 1844. Lee married Anna Maria Pittman, who died in 1838, and then Lucy Lee who died in 1842. Jason Lee died on March 12, 1845.

Lee, Jason, 1803-1845

Rotunda from North Side State Capitol - Salem, Oregon

Negative of a photographic postcard showing the interior of the rotunda in the Oregon State Capitol in Salem, Oregon. Taken from the ground floor, 2 murals adorn the walls, and a door to the left is marked, "Governor." Handwriting on negative reads, "Rotunda from North side State Capitol Salem, Oregon. Christian S-418." The top right corner of the image is cut off.

Christian (Photographer)

Results 57 to 84 of 443