Showing 297 results

Collections
Salem (Or.) With digital objects
Print preview View:

William S. Smith and His Class, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1885

A black and white photograph of Mr. William S. Smith, the first teacher and founder of the Oregon School for the Deaf, and his class of 13 students. Smith sits in the center of the photograph with his students in chairs or standing around him. Standing (left to right): Eli Baker, Nelson Woods, Leona Fenland, Lee Brown, Nellie Druck, Fannie Whitaker, John Thornton. Seated (left to right): Eva Hockett, Kate Foland, Nina Penland, William S. Smith, Nancy Harris, Anna Harper, Renel Frazier. The photograph is mounted on a light brown mat. On the back of the photograph is a handwritten note that reads: "Williams S. Smith and his class, 1885 at Oregon School for Deaf Mutes, Church and Mission Streets. Wm. S. Smith, deaf himself, Oregon's first deaf teacher and founder of Ore. School for Deaf, November 1870." The Oregon School for Deaf-Mutes was the name of the school from 1880-1913.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Class of 1949 Planting Their Fir Tree, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1949

Black and white photograph of eleven older students and two staff members standing around a freshly planted tree on the grounds of the Oregon School for the Deaf on Locust Street. Two students hold shovels, one is lifting dirt from the pile. They stand in front of a single story brick building. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD class of 1949 planted their fir tree and also the new Primary building opened in May, 1949. Thomas Ulmer, sponar [[sponsor]] and T. A. Lindstrom, sponar [[sponsor]]". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Knitting Club, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1952

Black and white photograph of the knitting club at the Oregon School for the Deaf on Locust Street. Several teenage girls sit on couches or chairs around the walls of a room while knitting. The room has tall windows with curtains and blinds. Left to right: Phyllis Nelson, Helen Isakson, Jackie Quiring, Nedra Schulke, Dorothy Nelson, Audrenne Ross, Juanita Butler, Frances Owen, Carla Brown, Carol Bender, Dorothy Linden, Elaine Byers. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Deaf School Knitting club - Salem Ore -1952".

Oregon School for the Deaf

Tyro Elliott in His Soapbox Derby Race Car, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1954

Black and white photograph of Tyro Elliott, a student at the Oregon School for the Deaf, sitting in his soapbox race car. The car says "Shooting Star" and "School for the Deaf" on its side. There is a ribbon pinned to the student's shirt and he is looking at the camera. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Oregon State School for the Deaf 1954 race". The Oregon State School for the Deaf was the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boys Study Hour, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1918

Black and white photograph of the boys study hall at the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location. The school has occupied this location since 1910. The photograph shows several older male students reading books in a room with a large table at its center. The photograph is mounted on a dark green mat. Text below the photograph reads "Boys' study hour, 1918." A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD boys in the study hall 1918". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Children Playing in the Snow, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1925-1926

Black and white photograph of four younger students playing in the snow on the grounds of the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location in 1925. Two are sitting down and two are standing beside them. All are facing the camera. Behind them can be seen the school's Steam Plant, Main Building, and one other building. The school has occupied this location since 1910. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Ore. State School for the Deaf Winter, 1925-26"

Oregon School for the Deaf

Students Ready to Attend "Alice Blue Gown" Dance, Oregon School for the Deaf, c. 1930

Black and white photograph of seven older female students wearing matching dresses and holding matching hats. They are lined up and standing in the grass in front of a tree. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: ""Alice Blue Gown" dance 1. Virginia Travis (Stacks) 2. Irene (Lance) Donavon 3. Irene Powell (Huitt) 4. Zelma Hokanson (Kitchen) 5. Georgia Ulmer (Krepela) 6. Mabel Wood (Shaffer) 7. Zelma Waller (Barrel)"

Oregon School for the Deaf

New Buildings, Oregon School for the Deaf, c. 1916

A sepia-toned photograph of the first three buildings to be built at the Oregon School for the Deaf at Locust Street. These buildings are (left to right) the Steam Plant, Main Building, and School Building. The school has occupied this location since 1910. People stand on the lawn in front of the Main Building and on its front steps for the photograph. The photograph is mounted on a dark brown mat. Handwritten text below the photograph reads: "New OSD buildings, 1910-11 at Locust St. (taken c. [[crossed-out]] 1912-13 [[/crossed-out]] 1916) A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Oregon School for the Deaf New buildings, 1910-11 at Locust St. [[crossed-out]] (taken 1912 or 1913) [[/crossed-out]]1916."

Oregon School for the Deaf

Stage Chapel, Main Building, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1910

Black and white photograph of the stage in the new Main Building of the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location on Christmas, 1910. Rows of chairs are set up facing a stage that is decorated for Christmas. Two trees flank the stage, where four students are doing a practice performance. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "The stage chapel of the new Main Building, December 25, 1910 at Ore. School for Deaf Mutes." The Oregon School for Deaf-Mutes was the name of the school from 1880-1913.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boys Basketball Team, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1945-1946

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's boys basketball team in 1945-46. The photograph shows twelve teenage male students in letterman jackets, smiling at the camera. Back row (left to right): Lyle Blakely, Ervin Shepard, Danny Heiken. Middle row (left to right): Morris Harrison, Delbert Kessler, Teddy Ellison, Gordon Garboden. Front row (left to right): Richard Randolph, James Jackson, Robert Dennis, Royal Teets, Billy Foren. One of the boys holds a basketball with "45-46" written on it. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "O.S.S.D boys' basketball team 1945-46". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boys Basketball Team, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1946-1947

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's boys basketball team in 1946-47. The photograph shows nine teenage male students, four kneel on the ground and five stand behind them. Two kneeling students hold a basketball. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads "O.S.S.D. boys' basketball team 1946-47". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boys Basketball Team, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1927

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's boys basketball team in 1927. The photograph shows seven teenage male students, five standing and two kneeling, all wearing shorts and tank tops. A basketball with "1927" written on it sits in the grass between the two kneeling students. Written on the photograph is text that reads: "Oregon State Deaf" and "18 straight wins". Standing (left to right): Francis Holmes, John Spath, Lloyd Hudson, John Powell, Otis Collins. Kneeling: Lyle McQuary, Stewart Turnbull. The photograph is mounted on a light red mat. Below the photograph is typed text that reads "OSD Boys' basketball team, 1927."

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boys Basketball Team Formal Photograph, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1945-1946

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's boys basketball team in 1945-46. The photograph shows twelve teenage male students in letterman jackets, smiling at the camera. Standing (left to right): Lyle Blakely, Richard Randolph, James Jackson, Robert Dennis, Royal Teets, Billy Foren, Ervin Shepard. Seated (left to right): Morris Harrison, Danny Heiken, Delbert Kessler, Teddy Ellison, Gordon Garboden. One of the boys holds a basketball with "45-46" written on it. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD boys basketball team 1945-46". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Football Team, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1951

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's football team in 1951. The photograph shows 15 teenage male students and one younger student posed in a field for a formal sports team photograph. Half of the team stands and half kneels in front of them. They all wear their football gear, except the younger student who is in a t-shirt. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD football team 1951". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Girls Basketball Team Standing, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1922

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's girls basketball team in 1922. The photograph shows 16 teenage girls, half of which are sitting and half standing behind them in a gym. One girl at the center holds a basketball that reads "OSD 1922". A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads "OSSD Girls' basketball team in the new gym - 1922". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Girls Basketball Team Sitting, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1913

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's girls basketball team in 1913. The photograph shows six female students seated in the grass and a woman standing beside them. In front of one of the students is a basketball with "O.S.D. 1913" written on it. Kneeling (left to right): Adah Yoran, Lily Mokko, Grace Wolf. Sitting (left to right): Clara Hagen, Mattie McClain, Anna Schulz. Standing: Unknown, coach. On the back of the photograph is a handwritten note that reads "OSSD Girls' basketball team 1913". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Girls Basketball Team, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1930

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's girls basketball team in 1930. The photograph shows eight students standing in a row and wearing loose shorts, t-shirts, and sneakers. The girl at the front of the line is holding a basketball with "30" written on it. Left to right: Alice (Beach) Spath, Irene (Huitt) Powell, Georgia (Krepela) Ulmer, Zelma (Kitchen) Hokanson, Margaret (Cupper) Brinkley, Genevieve Buchanan, Wythel Montague, Anne (Fitzpatrick) Aiello, Lucille (Kau) Holme.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Girls Basketball Team Standing, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1913

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's girls basketball team in 1913. The photograph shows six female students standing on a set of stairs with a woman standing behind them. Two students in front hold a basketball that reads "OSD 1913". Front row (left to right): Adah Yoran, Mattie McClain, Anna Schulz. Back row (left to right): Lily Mokko, Grace Wolf, Clara Hagen. Behind: unknown, coach. The photograph is mounted on a dark red-brown mat. Below the photograph is a handwritten note that reads "Oregon State School for the Deaf Girls' basketball team 1913." The Oregon State School for the Deaf was the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boys Basketball Team Practice, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1917

Black and White photograph showing the Oregon School for the Deaf boys basketball team practicing in the gym in the Polytechnic Building. The photograph shows twelve students and one instructor standing in a gym with their arms outstretched. One student is identified as "Edwin". On the back of the photograph is a handwritten note that reads "Salem Deaf School basketball team -1917"

Oregon School for the Deaf

Piano Room, Oregon School for the Deaf Heritage Museum, c. 1985-1989

Color photograph of the piano room in the Oregon School for the Deaf Heritage Museum. The room includes a dark brown wood piano, a chair, a mannequin dressed in a dark brown dress with a long, full skirt, and paintings on the walls. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSD Museum - Salem OR Piano Room - OSSD bought the used piano during World War II for Rhythm room. It is rosewood and made in the 1880s." OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Proof Press, Printing Office, Oregon School for the Deaf Heritage Museum, c. 1985-1989

Color photograph of the proof press in the printing office of the Oregon School for the Deaf Heritage Museum. The press includes a track where the paper is placed and a roller that runs across the track. It is on top of a set of white cabinets. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSD museum Salem Or OSD printing office 1880's-1890's - The 1880-90 proof press."

Oregon School for the Deaf

Classroom, Oregon School for the Deaf Heritage Museum, c. 1985-1989

Black and white photograph of the front of a classroom. A teacher's desk is in the center of the photograph, with several pairs of headphones on a bar attached to the front of it. Two student desks are in the foreground and a blackboard with a grammar lesson written on it is in the background. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD museum Salem Ore The OSD's early days of classroom." OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Boys Basketball Team, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1907-1908

Black and white photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's boys basketball team in 1907-08. The photograph shows six male students and their coach standing on a set of stairs. One of the boys is holding a ball that say "'07-8" on it. Front row (left to right): Francis Brickly, Frank Emerick, Benjamin Wallace. 2nd row (left to right): Fred Propst, Leslie Tichenor, Charles Lynch. Back: Thure Lindstrom (coach). The picture is mounted on a dark green mat. Below the photograph is text that reads "OSD Basketball team, 1907-8 T.A. Lindstrom, coach." On the back of the photograph is a handwritten note that reads "Basketball 1907-08. T. A. Lindstrom coach. O.S.S.D on Turner Rd". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Spinning Wheel, Mantel, and Cabinet, Oregon School for the Deaf Heritage Museum, c. 1985-1989

Black and white photograph of a wooden spinning wheel, a Vernis Martin-style French china cabinet full of glass and metal dishware, and a wooden fireplace mantel. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSD museum Salem Ore French gold cabinet was presented to Oregon School for the Deaf from French consuls in 1905 after displaying at Lewis & Clark Exposition that held in Portland, Oregon. OSD pupils brought their literary and industrial works there and received the silver medal diploma from L & C Expo. The spinning wheel, circa 1890-1900, made by the deaf students. The oak mantel with its mirror, 1910, came from OSD's old Main Building, razed 1975"

Oregon School for the Deaf

Students Working in the Fields, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1916

A sepia-toned photograph of students working on the Oregon School for the Deaf's farmlands at its Locust Street location in 1916. The school has occupied this location since 1910 but farming ceased in 1970. Some students are weeding with hoes and others are tilling the soil by hand or with horses. Farm buildings are visible in the background. The photograph is mounted on a light brown mat. A handwritten note below the photograph reads: "OSD pupils are working on crop, [[crossed-out]] possibly 1912 [[/crossed-out]]. 1916". A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Oregon School for the Deaf Salem Ore Strawberries [[crossed-out]] possibly 1912 [[/crossed-out]] 1916"

Oregon School for the Deaf

Printing Press, Printing Office, Oregon School for the Deaf Heritage Museum, c. 1985-89

Color photograph of a printing press held in the Oregon School for the Deaf Heritage Museum. The press has a label on it that says "Job Press 1885. Used about from 1900 to 1977." A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSD museum Salem Ore OSD started the first printing office in January, 1888, "The Sign" newsletter. The press patented 1885."

Oregon School for the Deaf

Cows, Farmland and Farm Buildings, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1916

A sepia-toned photograph of the Oregon School for the Deaf's farm. Several cows graze in the foreground. Two people stand on either side of a dirt road leading to the barn and other farm buildings in the background. Farming provided experience for the students and food for the school, including milk and meat from the cows. The barn was torn down in 1954, and farming officially ended in 1970. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Oregon State School for the Deaf farmland 1916". The Oregon State School for the Deaf was the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Results 29 to 56 of 297