Showing 123 results

Collections
United States Schools With digital objects English
Print preview View:

Young ballet students at Oumansky School of Dance, Portland

Ballet master Alexander Oumansky, teaching students at the Oumansky School of Dance in Portland, at 128 N.W. 23rd Avenue. A line of young ballerinas, wearing matching leotards and tutus, follows Oumansky. He has his arms raised (negative 1 of 3).

Monner, Al (Alfred Anthony), 1909-1998

William S. Smith and His Class, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1885

A black and white photograph of Mr. William S. Smith, the first teacher and founder of the Oregon School for the Deaf, and his class of 13 students. Smith sits in the center of the photograph with his students in chairs or standing around him. Standing (left to right): Eli Baker, Nelson Woods, Leona Fenland, Lee Brown, Nellie Druck, Fannie Whitaker, John Thornton. Seated (left to right): Eva Hockett, Kate Foland, Nina Penland, William S. Smith, Nancy Harris, Anna Harper, Renel Frazier. The photograph is mounted on a light brown mat. On the back of the photograph is a handwritten note that reads: "Williams S. Smith and his class, 1885 at Oregon School for Deaf Mutes, Church and Mission Streets. Wm. S. Smith, deaf himself, Oregon's first deaf teacher and founder of Ore. School for Deaf, November 1870." The Oregon School for Deaf-Mutes was the name of the school from 1880-1913.

Oregon School for the Deaf

University of Oregon medical students working in laboratory

Photograph showing students working at long tables in a laboratory at the new University of Oregon Medical School building on Marquam Hill in Portland in October 1919. A cropped version of this photograph was one of five published on Page 16, Section 2, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, October 19, 1919. The photographs were published under the headline “Dream of Great Medical Center Near Realization.” The photographs had the following caption: “Combined University of Oregon medical school and Multnomah county hospital is making rapid strides.” This photograph had the additional caption: “Sophomore medical students at work in bacteriological laboratory.” The pictures accompanied a story, which had the headline “Dr. MacKenzie’s Dream Bids Fair to Become True” and the subheadings “Concrete Plans Are Shaping for Building of Medical Center Planned by Dean of U. of O. / Some Money Now Promised / New Structure of Medical School on Marquam Hill Above Terwilliger Boulevard, Is Nucleus.” See related image Nos. 376G0333 and 376G0334. Image note: The text “Medical school” is written on the negative sleeve.

University of Oregon medical students working in freshman study room

Photograph showing young men working at long tables in the freshman study room at the new University of Oregon Medical School building on Marquam Hill in Portland in October 1919. The second young man from left is holding up a rat by the tail; others are looking into microscopes. A cropped version of this photograph was one of five published on Page 16, Section 2, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, October 19, 1919. The photographs were published under the headline “Dream of Great Medical Center Near Realization.” The photographs had the following caption: “Combined University of Oregon medical school and Multnomah county hospital is making rapid strides.” This photograph had the additional caption: “Scene in freshman study room, with a rat as exhibit ‘A.’ ” The pictures accompanied a story, which had the headline “Dr. MacKenzie’s Dream Bids Fair to Become True” and the subheadings “Concrete Plans Are Shaping for Building of Medical Center Planned by Dean of U. of O. / Some Money Now Promised / New Structure of Medical School on Marquam Hill Above Terwilliger Boulevard, Is Nucleus.” See related image Nos. 376G0333 and 376G0335. Image note: The text “Medical school” is written on the negative sleeve.

University of Oregon Medical School, Marquam Hill, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the three-story University of Oregon Medical School building on Marquam Hill in Portland in July 1919. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 7, Section 2, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, July 20, 1919, under the headline “U. of O. Medical School.” The photograph had the following caption: “ First building on University of Oregon medical school’s new campus, on Marquam hill.” The photograph accompanied a story with the headline “Medical School of U. Of O. To Be Big Asset To City” and the subheadings “Opening of New Structure on Marquam Hill Will Take Place This Coming October 1. / Portland Will Be Center / Result of Expanding of Great Institution Will Make This City Headquarters in Northwest.” Image note: The text “Medical school” is written on the negative sleeve.

University of Oregon Medical School, Marquam Hill, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the three-story University of Oregon Medical School building on Marquam Hill in Portland in October 1919. A group of people and cars are outside the building at left. A cropped version of this photograph was one of five published on Page 16, Section 2, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, October 19, 1919. The photographs were published under the headline “Dream of Great Medical Center Near Realization.” The photographs had the following caption: “Combined University of Oregon medical school and Multnomah county hospital is making rapid strides.” This photograph had the additional caption: “Medical school building, first completed unit of proposed group.” The pictures accompanied a story, which had the headline “Dr. MacKenzie’s Dream Bids Fair to Become True” and the subheadings “Concrete Plans Are Shaping for Building of Medical Center Planned by Dean of U. of O. / Some Money Now Promised / New Structure of Medical School on Marquam Hill Above Terwilliger Boulevard, Is Nucleus.” See related image Nos. 376G0334 and 376G0335. Image note: The text “Medical school” is written on the negative sleeve.

University of Oregon Medical School, 23rd and Lovejoy, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the Victorian-style University of Oregon Medical Department building at 23rd and Lovejoy (now Northwest Twenty-Third Avenue and Northwest Lovejoy Street) in Portland. The number 181 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the photograph. Image note: Light leak and negative damage at upper left.

Union High School, Sweet Home

Students in front of the Union High School building in Sweet Home. They gather in front of a school bus parked next to a sidewalk (negative 2 of 7).

Monner, Al (Alfred Anthony), 1909-1998

Tyro Elliott in His Soapbox Derby Race Car, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1954

Black and white photograph of Tyro Elliott, a student at the Oregon School for the Deaf, sitting in his soapbox race car. The car says "Shooting Star" and "School for the Deaf" on its side. There is a ribbon pinned to the student's shirt and he is looking at the camera. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Oregon State School for the Deaf 1954 race". The Oregon State School for the Deaf was the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

T. A. Lindstrom's Manual Advanced Classroom, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1916

A black and white photograph of students and their teacher in a classroom at the Oregon School for the Deaf on Locust Street. Several students sit at their desks reading while a few others are writing on the boards at the front of the room. A man standing at a table in the front of the room has an 'x' drawn above his head. Standing (left to right): T.A. Lindstrom (teacher), Frank Thayer, Dean Tussing, Lila Hardy, Clyde Walker. Seated, left row: Harold Calavan. Seated, middle row: Merle Peters, William Toll. Seated, right row: Charlotte Coffin, Bernice Berry, George Fromm, Julia Dodd, Oscar Stewart. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "T. A. Lindstrom's manual advanced classroom - 1916 at OSSD - "X" Dr. T. A. Lindstrom, himself deaf teacher taught at OSD from 1906 to 1954, 48 years born in Sweden, 1880 died in Salem, Ore 1972". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Superintendent's House, Oregon School for the Deaf, c.1914

A sepia-toned photograph of the Superintendent's House at the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location. The home is a two-storied wooden structure with a large front porch and brick chimney. Edward Tillinghast Jr, the son of Superintendent Tillinghast, stands on the front steps. The photograph is mounted on a black mat. A handwritten note under the photograph reads: "New home of Superintendent - built 1914. (razed in 1973)"

Oregon School for the Deaf

Students Working in the Fields, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1916

A sepia-toned photograph of students working on the Oregon School for the Deaf's farmlands at its Locust Street location in 1916. The school has occupied this location since 1910 but farming ceased in 1970. Some students are weeding with hoes and others are tilling the soil by hand or with horses. Farm buildings are visible in the background. The photograph is mounted on a light brown mat. A handwritten note below the photograph reads: "OSD pupils are working on crop, [[crossed-out]] possibly 1912 [[/crossed-out]]. 1916". A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Oregon School for the Deaf Salem Ore Strawberries [[crossed-out]] possibly 1912 [[/crossed-out]] 1916"

Oregon School for the Deaf

Students Ready to Attend "Alice Blue Gown" Dance, Oregon School for the Deaf, c. 1930

Black and white photograph of seven older female students wearing matching dresses and holding matching hats. They are lined up and standing in the grass in front of a tree. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: ""Alice Blue Gown" dance 1. Virginia Travis (Stacks) 2. Irene (Lance) Donavon 3. Irene Powell (Huitt) 4. Zelma Hokanson (Kitchen) 5. Georgia Ulmer (Krepela) 6. Mabel Wood (Shaffer) 7. Zelma Waller (Barrel)"

Oregon School for the Deaf

Students Posed for Pledge of Allegiance, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1962

A black and white photograph of students in a classroom at the Oregon School for the Deaf on Locust Street. The class of ten students is standing with their hands on their hearts. One girl holds an American flag in front of them. All the girls are wearing skirts or dresses that are knee length or longer. A note written on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD pupils' classroom Salem Ore 1962". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Students Picking Strawberries and Cherries, Oregon School for the Deaf, c.1915

Black and white photograph of about twenty students holding containers filled with recently picked strawberries and cherries in the fields of the school's Locust Street location. The school has occupied this location since 1910, but farming ceased in 1970. They are a mix of boys and girls of various ages and are standing in a field of strawberry plants. The boy kneeling in the lower right corner of the photograph is Edward Tillinghast Jr., the son of Edward Tillinghast Sr., Superintendent of the school from 1906-1922. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD deaf children picking strawberries and cherries - ca. 1915". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Students in the YMCA Pool, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1957

Black and white photograph of students from the Oregon School for the Deaf playing in the YMCA pool in Salem. Several students are splashing and climbing on each other in the pool. The photograph is mounted on a peach colored mat. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD pupils went to YMCA in Salem Ore 1957". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Students and Teacher in Classroom, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1916

A black and white photograph of students and their teacher in a classroom at the Oregon School for the Deaf on Locust Street. Ten students sit at their desks with their teacher sitting at her desk facing them. They are turned to look at the camera. Teacher: Elnora Palm. 1st row (furthest from camera) (left to right): Marcus Brewer, Frank Drapela, Helen Park, Edith Bunrick. 2nd row (left to right): Royal Cooke, Grace Hostetler, Winnie Gaudy. 3rd row (left to right): Pearl Lunday, Albert Harry. 4th row (closest to camera): Grace Wolf-Toll. A note written on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD classroom 1916". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Students and Staff, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1900-1901

Black and white photograph of students and staff of the Oregon School for the Deaf in the 1900-1901 school year. Staff and students stand on the front steps of the school building at Turner Road, which was occupied by the school from 1895-1910. Younger students are at the front and older near the back. The girls are on the right and boys on the left. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD in 1900-1901 at Turner Rd. Supt. C. Wentz". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Student Dining Room, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1916

Black and white photograph of the Dining Room at the Oregon State School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location. Students of various ages sit as several tables throughout the room and most of them are facing the camera. The tables are covered in table clothes and set for a meal. Boys sit on the right side of the room while girls sit on the left. In the background, a curtain wall hiding a dishwashing area is visible. The school has occupied this location since 1910, though the dining room location has shifted many times. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "OSSD dining room 1916". OSSD stands for Oregon State School for the Deaf, the name of the school from 1913-1989.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Student Dining Room, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1900-1901

A black and white photograph of the dining room of the Oregon School for the Deaf at Turner Road. There are several rectangular tables throughout the room, covered in table clothes and set for a meal. Wooden chairs sit at the tables. The school occupied the Turner Road location from 1895-1910. In the lower right corner of the photograph is text that reads: "N.W. Eng. Co. Salem" The photograph is mounted on a black mat. Below the photograph is a handwritten note that reads: "O.S.D. pupils' dining room - c. 1900 at Turner Rd." A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "Oregon School for Deaf 1900 on Turner Rd"

Oregon School for the Deaf

Stage Chapel, Main Building, Oregon School for the Deaf, 1910

Black and white photograph of the stage in the new Main Building of the Oregon School for the Deaf at its Locust Street location on Christmas, 1910. Rows of chairs are set up facing a stage that is decorated for Christmas. Two trees flank the stage, where four students are doing a practice performance. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads: "The stage chapel of the new Main Building, December 25, 1910 at Ore. School for Deaf Mutes." The Oregon School for Deaf-Mutes was the name of the school from 1880-1913.

Oregon School for the Deaf

Results 1 to 28 of 123