Part of Kiser Photo Co. Photographs
Kiser, Fred H., 1878-1955
Part of Kiser Photo Co. Photographs
Kiser, Fred H., 1878-1955
Photograph showing the White King Soap Company office at Southeast Water Avenue and Southeast Madison street in Portland. A White King truck is parked outside the building, and several unidentified men are standing on the street corner. See related image No. 372A1169.
Photograph showing a warehouse at Southeast Third Avenue and Southeast Belmont Street in Portland. Trucks are parked outside three of the loading areas. On the side of each truck are the words “Wadhams wholesale grocers.” Above the entrance to the building is a sign reading “Wadhams & Co.” Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.
Part of Kiser Photo Co. Photographs
Kiser Photo Co. (Portland, Or.)
Photograph showing the Multnomah County Central Library building in Portland. The view is of the southwest corner of the building at 11th and Taylor streets (now SW 11th Avenue and Southwest Taylor Street).
Photograph, taken from the top of the Public Service Building, showing downtown buildings in southwest Portland. A cropped version of this photograph was one of four published on Page 1, Section 3, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, August 19, 1928. The photographs were published under the headline “Around-the-Weather-Vane Views of Down Town Portland.” They had the caption: “Portland’s imposing skyline when viewed from the top of the Public Service building, has many points of interest.” This photograph had the following additional caption information: “1—Looking to the northwest, with The Journal tower, the Portland hotel and the American Bank building in the foreground.” The Journal tower is now known as the Jackson Tower. See related image Nos. 371N5419, 371N5435, and 371N5484, which were published with this photograph.
Photograph showing buildings along Broadway (now Southwest Broadway) in Portland, including the New Heathman Hotel, the Broadway Theatre, and the Journal Building (at center right, with clock at top, now known as the Jackson Tower). The view is to the north. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to negative damage.
Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing the view down 6th Street in Portland (now Southwest 6th Avenue). The intersection at the bottom of the image is 6th and Washington, and the view is to the southwest. The tower of the Oregonian building and the Northwestern National Bank building (now the American Bank Building) are visible at top right. The Meier & Frank building is at center left.
Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing traffic and buildings along 6th Street (now Southwest 6th Avenue) in Portland. The view is toward the south. The intersection at center is 6th and Oak Street. At right center is the Wells Fargo Building. The tower of the Oregonian building is partially visible in the distance at right. Also visible are signs for the Virginia Hotel (lower left); the Guaranty Building (center left); the National Portland Garages (lower right); Faturo's Mens Wear (lower right); and the Columbia Theatre (arched above the street in the distance).
Photograph showing the view of traffic and buildings on Sixth Street (now Southwest Sixth Avenue) in Portland. The view is to the north. The intersection at the bottom of the image is Morrison Street (now Southwest Morrison Street). At center right is the Meier & Frank building. The number 6 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper right corner of the image.
Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing traffic and buildings along 6th Street (now Southwest 6th Avenue) in Portland. The intersection toward the bottom is 6th and Morrison Street (now Southwest Morrison Street). At lower left is the Portland Hotel, and at center left is the Northwestern National Bank Building (now the American Bank Building). At center right is the Meier and Frank Building. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.
Photograph, taken from the middle of the road, showing streetcar tracks running down what is probably 6th Street, now Southwest 6th Avenue, in Portland. At left center is Terwilliger Garage. The number 3 is written on the negative and is visible in the bottom right corner of the image.
The Vancouver Avenue First Baptist Church stands on the southeast corner of N. Vancouver Ave. and Fargo Street. It was originally built in 1909 for the Central Methodist Episcopal Church. Vancouver Avenue (established in 1944) purchased the building in 1951 and inhabits it still. The church was renovated and enlarged in 1957-1958.
Photograph showing a vacant grocery store at the corner of Southeast Grand Avenue and Southeast Washington Street in Portland. Painted in the window are the words “MOVED ONE BLOCK SOUTH.”
Photograph showing the front of the United States National Bank building in Portland and cars passing on the street. The photograph was taken from the corner of 6th and Stark streets, now Southwest 6th Avenue and Southwest Stark Street. The number 7 is written on the negative and is partially visible at the top of the image.
Photograph showing an unidentified man, possibly the proprietor, posing outside the door of Fay Drugs at Northeast 30th Avenue and Northeast Killingsworth Street in Portland. The store is in a single-story brick building.
Photograph showing an unidentified eight-story building with bas-relief figures at the top corners. A street sign on the pole at left may read “11th St.”
Photograph showing two young men in white jackets loading a large box into the back of a Vern L. Wenger Radio Service truck. A third man is standing next to the truck, watching. On the side of the box are the words “Another RCA Victor Radio / Model 9-K / RCA Manufacturing Co. Inc. / Camden, New Jersey.” The number 2 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower left corner of the image. Vern L. Wenger was located in Portland.
Photograph showing two unidentified men standing outside the open loading door of a brick building with a sign reading “Italian Wine Company.” The Italian Wine Company was located at 1018 SE 8th Avenue in Portland.
Photograph showing three Churn Maid Products Co. delivery trucks parked on the street. An unidentified man is standing next to each truck. On the buildings in the background are signs for Churn Maid; Dairy’s Supply Co. Inc., and Portland Stove & Furnace Repair Works. This photograph was probably taken in Portland in the 300 block of Southeast Union Avenue (now Southeast Martin Luther King Junior Boulevard). Image note: Light leak on negative.
Photograph showing the exterior of The Home Plate restaurant at Southeast 49th Avenue and Southeast Hawthorne Boulevard in Portland. An unidentified man in an apron is standing in front of the building. The view is to the north. Across the top of the building are the words “ICES / ALES / CANDY / TOBACCO.” Below that are the words “THE HOME PLATE / ‘HAMBURGERS AND OTHERS.’ “ Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.
Photograph showing the nine-story Studio Building at West Park and Taylor streets (now Southwest 9th Avenue and Southwest Taylor Street) in Portland. To the right is the attached theater, which later became the Guild Theatre. The building was completed in 1927. The photograph was taken from Taylor Street and the view is toward the northwest.
Photograph showing the exterior of Strellman’s Food Store, a brick building at the corner of Southeast Stark Street and Southeast 45th Avenue in Portland.
Photograph showing the exterior of the St. Francis drugstore at the corner of Southwest 11th Avenue and Southwest Main Street in Portland.
Photograph showing St. David’s Parish House, a wooden church with a spire. The church was on East Morrison Street (now Southeast Morrison Street) in Portland, just east of the intersection with 12th Street (now Southeast 12th Avenue).
Photograph showing the exterior of the St. Charles Hotel building at Front and Morrison (now Southwest Morrison Street) in Portland. The four-story building is brick and has arched windows and a mansard roof. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “St. Charles Hotel, Front & Morrison, finest of Portland’s hotels when built in 1869.” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.