Front Avenue looking south from the Burnside Bridge, Oct. 16, 1938. The 1st building from the left was the Johnson and Spaulding Building, followed by the Johnson Building, Dodd Block, and Cook’s Building. On Front Avenue, between Ash and Pine.
A woman walks into the Miles Building, constructed in 1857, on the SW corner of Front Avenue and Pine Streets. Taken October 20, 1938. Looking west up Pine from Front Avenue, Kamm Building in background.
Cast-iron doorway of the Ladd and Tilton Bank Building on Front Avenue between Washington and Stark Streets. Taken December 13, 1938. Built in 1853 for W.S. Ladd, this was the 1st brick building in Portland and at the time White photographed it, the oldest commercial building in the city. In 1859, the Ladd and Tilton Bank opened on its second floor.
207 Front Avenue. Street address indicates this is likely a pilaster from the Barnhart Building. Foundry mark reads “California Foundry SF.” Weeds grow out of exterior wall. Taken November 10, 1938. Same subject as Negative No. 390120-2 and Negative No. 381110-3.
Demolition of the Barnhart and Miles buildings on Front Avenue and Pine Street. Starr Block on the left. A sign on the side of a building advertises the J.J. Ross Mill. A pile of debris sits on the sidewalk. Same subject as Negative No. 390120-2.
View of the Dekum and Reed Block, located on Front Avenue and Ankeny Street. Photo taken from south side of Burnside Bridge on February 12, 1939. An automobile is parked on the street and the Willamette River is visible in the background. Also visible are signs for a creamery and Golden Glow Beer & Ale.
Demolition of the Dekum and Reed Block, west side of Front Avenue at Ankeny Street, with the city of Portland in the background. Photographed from the upper floors of the Johnson Building on the east side of Front Avenue. Many Portland buildings and signs are visible. Signs include “Portland Trust,” “76 Union Gasoline,” “R.R. Poppleton Motors,” and “General Electric Motors.” Taken February 26, 1939.
The Barnhart Building has been demolished, while the Miles Building and Kamm Block are visible in the background. Looking across Front Avenue towards Pine Street. “For Lease” signs in the window. Taken February 26, 1939.
Fifth Avenue facade of Pioneer Courthouse, looking south. Daffodils and roses line the sidewalk. Likely taken after May 7, 1939. This negative closely resembles 390500-1-2 which was likely taken on the same day. Neither negative was given a number by Minor White, but they are from the same vantage point as 390430-1, 390504-1, and 390507-1.
Fifth Avenue facade of Pioneer Courthouse, looking south. Daffodils and roses line the sidewalk. Likely taken after May 7, 1939. This negative closely resembles 390500-1-1 which was likely taken on the same day. Neither negative was given a number by Minor White, but they are from the same vantage point as 390430-1, 390504-1, and 390507-1.
The Crown Flour Mill is seen across the Willamette River on the industrial Portland Waterfront. Large logs float in the river in the background. In the foreground are pieces of wooden debris with nails protruding. A ship is docked in the river.