- Org. Lot 618
Collection consists of photographs related to the Oregon School for the Deaf in Salem, Oregon. The photographs date from about 1870 to 1989. Included in the collection are photographs showing the outside of the school buildings and campus grounds; the inside of classrooms, dorms, dining areas, and other spaces; the farmland which belonged to the school and was worked by students; and exhibits in the Oregon School for the Deaf Heritage Museum. Other images include sports team photographs, especially of boys and girls basketball teams from 1907 to 1947; students participating in activities such as club meetings, playing in the snow, going to dances, and swimming; school and class photos of students and staff; students in their classes, including general education, printing, sewing, cooking, woodworking, and home economics. The collection also includes portraits of individuals who were important to the school, including Mark Hamstreet, William S. Smith, and Edward and Hilda Tillinghast, as well as a photograph of attendees at the first biennial meeting of the Oregon Association of the Deaf. Most of these photographs are copies from originals held by the Oregon School for the Deaf Heritage Museum. Many photographs are mounted on photo mats and almost all include explanatory notes provided by Mark Hamstreet, the first historian and curator of the Oregon School for the Deaf Heritage Museum.