Hood River County (Or.)

Taxonomy

Code

45.51911, -121.65111 Map of Hood River County (Or.)

Scope note(s)

Display note(s)

Equivalent terms

Hood River County (Or.)

Associated terms

Hood River County (Or.)

83 Collections results for Hood River County (Or.)

2 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road with view of Mount Hood

Photograph showing the view of Mount Hood from the newly completed Cloud Cap Road, on the mountain’s north side, in October 1926. An unidentified person is standing next to a parked Oregon Journal car and looking at the view. On October 6, 1926, the Oregon Journal published three related photographs and a front-page story about the completion of the road, headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See related image Nos. 374N0471, 374N0472, 374N0502, 374N0519, 374N0521, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0524, 374N0526, and 374N0527.

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road with view of Mount Hood

Photograph showing the view of Mount Hood from a segment of the newly completed Cloud Cap Road on the north side of the mountain in October 1926. In the foreground, an Oregon Journal car is stopped on the road. The words “Staff Cameraman” are visible on the cover of the car’s spare tire. A cropped version of this photograph was one of three published on the front page of the Oregon Journal on Wednesday, October 6, 1926, under the headline “Cloud Cap Road Is Way of Splendor.” The photographs had the following caption: “Scenes along newly-completed spur road leading from Mouth Hood Loop highway to Cloud Cap inn, giving suggestion of scenic wonders unfolded along trip.” This photograph had the additional caption information: “View of Mount Hood and especially Elliott [sic] glacier from the new road.” The photographs accompanied a story headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See image Nos. 374N0502 and 374N0521, which were published with this photograph, and additional related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0472, 374N0519, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0524, 374N0526, and 374N0527.

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road with view of Mount Hood

Photograph showing the view of Mount Hood from a segment of the newly completed Cloud Cap Road in October 1926. An Oregon Journal car is stopped on the road at left. On October 6, 1926, the Oregon Journal published three related photographs and a front-page story about the completion of the road, headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. Two years after this photograph was taken, a cropped version was part of of a photo essay published on Page 1, Section 2, of the Oregon Journal on May 27, 1928. The photographs accompanied a story, headlined “Wild Forest Scenery at City’s Door,” about the views along the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Note: See related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0471, 374N0502, 374N0519, 374N0521, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0524, 374N0526, and 374N0527, also taken on the Cloud Cap Road in October 1926.

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road, Mount Hood

Photograph showing an Oregon Journal car driving around a curve on the newly completed Cloud Cap Road on the north side of Mount Hood in October 1926. A cropped version of this photograph was one of three published on the front page of the Oregon Journal on Wednesday, October 6, 1926, under the headline “Cloud Cap Road Is Way of Splendor.” The photographs had the following caption: “Scenes along newly-completed spur road leading from Mouth Hood Loop highway to Cloud Cap inn, giving suggestion of scenic wonders unfolded along trip.” This photograph had the additional caption information: “One of the many wide curves, showing the banking at the outer edge.” The photographs accompanied a story headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See image Nos. 374N0471 and 374N0521, which were published with this photograph, and additional related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0472, 374N0519, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0524, 374N0526, and 374N0527.

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road, Mount Hood

Photograph, taken from the front, showing an Oregon Journal car on the newly completed gravel Cloud Cap Road on the north side of Mount Hood in October 1926. The road is surrounded by forest. On October 6, 1926, the Oregon Journal published three related photographs and a front-page story about the completion of the road, headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0471, 374N0472, 374N0502, 374N0521, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0524, 374N0526, and 374N0527.

Cloud Cap Inn on Mount Hood

Photograph of an unidentified man walking outside the Cloud Cap Inn building on the northeastern side of Mount Hood in October 1926. A cropped version of this photograph was one of three published on the front page of the Oregon Journal on Wednesday, October 6, 1926, under the headline “Cloud Cap Road Is Way of Splendor.” The photographs had the following caption: “Scenes along newly-completed spur road leading from Mouth Hood Loop highway to Cloud Cap inn, giving suggestion of scenic wonders unfolded along trip.” This photograph had the additional caption information: “Top picture shows present inn, which Portland interests are seeking to rebuild according to more modern standards of capacity and convenience.” The photographs accompanied a story headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See image Nos. 374N0471 and 374N0502, which were published with this photograph, and additional related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0472, 374N0519, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0524, 374N0526, and 374N0527.

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road, Mount Hood

Photograph, taken from the rear, showing an Oregon Journal car on the newly completed gravel Cloud Cap Road on the north side of Mount Hood in October 1926. The road is surrounded by forest. The words “Staff Cameraman” are visible on the cover of the car’s spare tire. On October 6, 1926, the Oregon Journal published three related photographs and a front-page story about the completion of the road, headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0471, 374N0472, 374N0502, 374N0519, 374N0521, 374N0523, 374N0524, 374N0526, and 374N0527.

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road, Mount Hood

Photograph, taken from the rear, of an Oregon Journal car next to a rocky outcropping on the newly completed gravel Cloud Cap Road on the north side of Mount Hood in October 1926. The words “Staff Cameraman” and “Oregon Journal” are visible on the cover of the car’s spare tire. On October 6, 1926, the Oregon Journal published three related photographs and a front-page story about the completion of the road, headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0471, 374N0472, 374N0502, 374N0519, 374N0521, 374N0522, 374N0524, 374N0526, and 374N0527.

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road with view of Mount Hood

Photograph, taken from the rear, of an Oregon Journal car on the newly completed gravel Cloud Cap Road on the north side of Mount Hood in October 1926. The road is bordered by forest, and the mountain’s peak is visible in the background. The words “Staff Cameraman” and “Oregon Journal” are visible on the cover of the car’s spare tire. On October 6, 1926, the Oregon Journal published three related photographs and a front-page story about the completion of the road, headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0471, 374N0472, 374N0502, 374N0519, 374N0521, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0526, and 374N0527.

Cloud Cap Road, Mount Hood

Photograph showing a segment of the newly completed gravel Cloud Cap Road on the north side of Mount Hood in October 1926. The road slopes uphill and is bordered by forest. On October 6, 1926, the Oregon Journal published three related photographs and a front-page story about the completion of the road, headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0471, 374N0472, 374N0502, 374N0519, 374N0521, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0524, and 374N0527.

Cloud Cap Road, Mount Hood

Photograph of the newly completed gravel Cloud Cap Road on the north side of Mount Hood in October 1926. The road curves uphill and is bordered by forest. On October 6, 1926, the Oregon Journal published three related photographs and a front-page story about the completion of the road, headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0471, 374N0472, 374N0502, 374N0519, 374N0521, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0524, and 374N0526.

Group at summit of Barlow Pass

Group portrait of unidentified people in the snow next to a road, probably Oregon Highway 35. They are posing with a sign marking the summit of Barlow Pass on Mount Hood. The sign reads: “State Highway / Summit / Barlow Pass / Elev. 4158.”

Aerial view, east face of Mount Hood

Aerial photograph showing the east face of Mount Hood. The wing of the airplane from which the photograph was taken is visible at lower left. A cropped version of this photograph was one of 10 that were published on the front page of the Oregon Journal Sunday magazine on June 5, 1932. The photographs accompanied a story, headlined “Looping the Loop by Air,” that recounted an airplane trip following the route of the Mount Hood Loop Highway and described the views from the air. The photographs had the following caption: “Glimpses of familiar scenery snapped by Roy Norr, Journal staff photographer, in ‘doing’ the Mont [sic] Hood Loop the air way.” This photograph had the following additional information: “Getting chummy with Mont [sic] Hood.” See image Nos. 371N5679, 371N5703, 371N5704, 371N5716, 371N5717, and 371N5721, which were published on the same page as this photograph. Also see image Nos. 371N5699, 371N5700, 371N5701, and 371N5702, which were taken during the same trip. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Aerial view, south face of Mount Hood

Aerial photograph, looking northwest, showing the south face of Mount Hood. The wings and struts of the plane from which the photograph was taken are visible at left. This photograph was taken in 1932 during an airplane trip following the route of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. A story and 10 related photos from the trip were published on the front page of the Oregon Journal Sunday magazine on June 5, 1932. The story was headlined “Looping the Loop by Air.” See related image Nos. 371N5679, 371N5698, 371N5699, 371N5701, 371N5702, 371N5703, 371N5704, 371N5716, 371N5717, and 371N5721.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Aerial view, south and east faces of Mount Hood

Aerial photograph showing the south and east faces of Mount Hood. Part of the airplane from which the photograph was taken is visible on the right. This photograph was taken in 1932 during an airplane trip following the route of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. A story and 10 related photos from the trip were published on the front page of the Oregon Journal Sunday magazine on June 5, 1932. The story was headlined “Looping the Loop by Air.” See related image Nos. 371N5679, 371N5698, 371N5700, 371N5701, 371N5702, 371N5703, 371N5704, 371N5716, 371N5717, and 371N5721.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Aerial view of Cascade Locks, Oregon; Columbia River; and Bridge of the Gods

Aerial photograph, looking roughly southwest, showing the Columbia River and the Bridge of the Gods. At upper left is the town of Cascade Locks, Oregon. A cropped version of this photograph was one of 10 that were published on the front page of the Oregon Journal Sunday magazine on June 5, 1932. The photographs accompanied a story, headlined “Looping the Loop by Air,” that recounted an airplane trip following the route of the Mount Hood Loop Highway and described the views from the air. The photographs had the following caption: “Glimpses of familiar scenery snapped by Roy Norr, Journal staff photographer, in ‘doing’ the Mont [sic] Hood Loop the air way.” This photograph had the following additional information: “Cascade Locks and the Bridge of the Gods.” See image Nos. 371N5679, 371N5698, 371N5703, 371N5716, 371N5717, and 371N5721, which were published on the same page as this photograph. Also see image Nos. 371N5699, 371N5700, 371N5701, and 371N5702, which were taken during the same trip. Image note: Light leak on negative.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Obstructed aerial view of Mount Hood

Aerial photograph of Mount Hood, predominantly obstructed by a strut of the airplane from which the photograph was taken. This photograph was taken in 1932 during an airplane trip following the route of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. A story and 10 related photos from the trip were published on the front page of the Oregon Journal Sunday magazine on June 5, 1932. The story was headlined “Looping the Loop by Air.” See related image Nos. 371N5679, 371N5698, 371N5699, 371N5700, 371N5701, 371N5703, 371N5704, 371N5716, 371N5717, and 371N5721.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Aerial view, southeast face of Mount Hood

Aerial photograph, looking northwest, showing the southeast face of Mount Hood. This photograph was taken in 1932 during an airplane trip following the route of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. A story and 10 related photos from the trip were published on the front page of the Oregon Journal Sunday magazine on June 5, 1932. The story was headlined “Looping the Loop by Air.” See related image Nos. 371N5679, 371N5698, 371N5699, 371N5700, 371N5702, 371N5703, 371N5704, 371N5716, 371N5717, and 371N5721. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Aerial view of Hood River, Oregon, and Columbia River Gorge

Aerial photograph, looking east, showing the town of Hood River, Oregon, at center right; the Columbia River; and the hills of the Columbia River Gorge. A cropped version of this photograph was one of 10 that were published on the front page of the Oregon Journal Sunday magazine on June 5, 1932. The photographs accompanied a story, headlined “Looping the Loop by Air,” that recounted an airplane trip following the route of the Mount Hood Loop Highway and described the views from the air. The photographs had the following caption: “Glimpses of familiar scenery snapped by Roy Norr, Journal staff photographer, in ‘doing’ the Mont [sic] Hood Loop the air way.” This photograph had the following additional information: “Looking east up the Columbia Gorge airway.” See image Nos. 371N5679, 371N5698, 371N5703, 371N5704, 371N5717, and 371N5721, which were published on the same page as this photograph. Also see image Nos. 371N5699, 371N5700, 371N5701, and 371N5702, which were taken during the same trip. Image note: Light leak on negative.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Aerial view of Hood River, Oregon

Aerial photograph, looking east, showing the town of Hood River, Oregon. At lower right is Hood River High School (now Hood River Middle School) and the school’s athletic field. A cropped version of this photograph was one of 10 that were published on the front page of the Oregon Journal Sunday magazine on June 5, 1932. The photographs accompanied a story, headlined “Looping the Loop by Air,” that recounted an airplane trip following the route of the Mount Hood Loop Highway and described the views from the air. The photographs had the following caption: “Glimpses of familiar scenery snapped by Roy Norr, Journal staff photographer, in ‘doing’ the Mont [sic] Hood Loop the air way.” This photograph had the following additional information: “Looking down on Hood River.” See image Nos. 371N5679, 371N5698, 371N5703, 371N5704, 371N5716, and 371N5717, which were published on the same page as this photograph. Also see image Nos. 371N5699, 371N5700, 371N5701, and 371N5702, which were taken during the same trip. Image note: Light leak on negative.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Remains of buildings destroyed by fire in Cascade Locks, Oregon

Photograph showing the burned remains of buildings after a fire in Cascade Locks, Oregon. The fire occurred on Monday, July 2, 1934, and this photograph was taken on July 3. Unidentified people are standing nearby, looking at the rubble. A similar photograph, image No. 375A1003, was published on the front page of the Oregon Journal’s home edition on July 3, 1934. That photograph was published under the headline “Where Fireworks Took Heavy Toll at Cascade Locks.” It had the following caption: “The band played on at Cascade Locks Tuesday despite the $60,000 fire which concluded the second day of the July 4th celebration there Monday night. Above—Looking east from the new Lakeside hotel on the razed block. At the immediate lower left is the charred remnants of the fireworks stand where the fire started. Beyond (in order) are the ruins of the I. O. O. F building, the S. E. Parras meat market, the Blue Moon cafe, and at the end of the block the W. H. Clark home.” The photograph accompanied a story headlined “Fireworks on Rampage Burn Locks Block.” Also see image Nos. 372A0731, 375A1002, and 375A1004. Image note: Negative damage at lower right.

Rubble at site of fire in Cascade Locks, Oregon

Photograph, taken from a low angle, showing burned rubble at the site of a fire in Cascade Locks, Oregon. The fire occurred on Monday, July 2, 1934, and this photograph was taken on July 3. A story about the fire, headlined “Fireworks on Rampage Burn Locks Block,” was published on the front page of the Oregon Journal’s home edition on July 3. According to the story, the fire was started by fireworks during a July Fourth celebration and destroyed approximately a block of the downtown business district. See related image Nos. 372A0734, 375A1002, 375A1003, and 375A1004.

Charles Hill after fighting fire in Cascade Locks

Head and shoulders portrait, taken outdoors, of Charles Hill, 17, facing front. The photograph was taken on July 3, 1934, after Hill helped to fight a fire in Cascade Locks, Oregon. The fire, started by fireworks on Monday, July 2, 1934, during a July Fourth celebration, destroyed approximately a block of the downtown business district, according to a story published on the front page of in the Oregon Journal’s July 3 home edition. A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 375A1003 accompanied the story. The photographs were published under the headline “Where Fireworks Took Heavy Toll at Cascade Locks.” This photograph had the following caption: “Charles Hill, 17, recovering after being overcome by smoke while fighting the fire.” Also see image Nos. 372A0731, 372A0734, and 375A1002.

Burned rubble at intersection in Cascade Locks, Oregon

Photograph showing a burned utility pole and other rubble at an intersection after a fire in Cascade Locks, Oregon. The fire occurred on Monday, July 2, 1934, and this photograph was taken on July 3. A story about the fire, headlined “Fireworks on Rampage Burn Locks Block,” was published on the front page of the Oregon Journal’s home edition on July 3. According to the story, the fire was started by fireworks during a July Fourth celebration and destroyed approximately a block of the downtown business district. See related image Nos. 372A0731, 372A0734, 375A1003, and 375A1004.

Remains of buildings destroyed by fire in Cascade Locks, Oregon

Photograph showing the burned remains of buildings after a fire in Cascade Locks, Oregon. The fire occurred on Monday, July 2, 1934, and this photograph was taken on July 3. Unidentified people are standing nearby, looking at the rubble. A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 375A1004 were published on the front page of the Oregon Journal’s home edition on July 3, 1934. The photographs were published under the headline “Where Fireworks Took Heavy Toll at Cascade Locks.” This photograph had the following caption: “The band played on at Cascade Locks Tuesday despite the $60,000 fire which concluded the second day of the July 4th celebration there Monday night. Above—Looking east from the new Lakeside hotel on the razed block. At the immediate lower left is the charred remnants of the fireworks stand where the fire started. Beyond (in order) are the ruins of the I. O. O. F building, the S. E. Parras meat market, the Blue Moon cafe, and at the end of the block the W. H. Clark home.” The photographs accompanied a story headlined “Fireworks on Rampage Burn Locks Block.” Also see image Nos. 372A0731, 372A0734, and 375A1002.

Results 57 to 83 of 83