Dedications

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Dedications

Equivalent terms

Dedications

Associated terms

Dedications

6 Collections results for Dedications

6 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Crowd at Burnside Bridge dedication ceremony

Photograph of a crowd beginning to walk over the new Burnside Bridge in Portland during dedication festivities on May 28, 1926. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 3 of the Oregon Journal on May 29, 1926, with the following caption: "A scene snapped as the draw gates were opened and the crowd was allowed to pass over the structure for the first time." The photograph was one of several published together on Page 3 under the headline "Forces of Water and Land Join in Span Dedication."

Dedication of marker at site of William Johnson’s cabin, Southwest Macadam Avenue and Curry Street, Portland?

Photograph showing two flag bearers standing on either side of a stone marker, facing to the right. Unidentified people are standing in a row behind them. The photograph was probably taken on August 9, 1933, and depicts the dedication of a marker at the site of the first cabin on the west side of Portland. The dedication ceremony followed a luncheon in honor of officers from the frigate USS Constitution, who were in Portland as part of a national tour by the Constitution and crew. In a story on August 9, 1933, the Oregon Journal gave the following information about the dedication ceremony: “After the luncheon representatives of the patriotic societies went to Southwest Macadam avenue and Curry street, where the marker on the site of the first cabin on Portland’s West side, erected by William Johnson, a veteran of the battle between the Constitution and British frigate Guerriere August 19, 1812, was dedicated by the Daughters of 1812. The dedication program opened with an invocation by Mrs. James H. Huddleson, chaplain of the Daughters of 1812. Members of Boy Scout troop No. 19 formed the patrol and guard of honor for the occasion. Scouts Miln [sic] Gillespie and Donald Kirby were colorbearers, and scout Erwin Lesser was bugler.” The story reported that the ceremony included a talk by Lewis A. McArthur on the history of William Johnson’s career and remarks by Lieutenant Commander Henry Hartley, executive officer of the USS Constitution. The Journal reported that the marker was unveiled by Mary Katherine Keffer, a descendant of Johnson, and that it consisted of “a bronze plaque on a granite stone taken from the lower section of Canyon road.”

Earl Riley, Grace Meier, L. E. Kern, and Rufus C. Holman at dedication of Waverly Baby Home, Portland

Photograph showing (from left) Earl Riley, Oregon first lady Grace Meier, L. E. Kern, and Rufus C. Holman at the dedication of the new Waverly Baby Home building in Portland on November 28, 1931. They are standing in front of the building’s cornerstone, which has not yet been placed, and Meier is holding a bouquet of flowers. A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 371N3021 were published on Page 4 of the Oregon Journal on November 29, 1931, under the headline “New Home for Babies Dedicated.” This photograph had the following caption: “From left, Earl Riley, city commissioner; Mrs. Julius L. Meier receiving bouquet from L. E. Kern, president of the board of trustees of the Waverly Baby home, and State Treasurer Rufus C. Holman, at the dedication of the new $115,000 home for parentless waifs Saturday. Riley represented the city and Holmes for the state.” The photographs accompanied the continuation of a front-page story about the opening of the new building.

Oregon first lady Grace Meier with cornerstone at dedication of Waverly Baby Home, Portland

Photograph showing Oregon first lady Grace Meier posing with a trowel and the cornerstone of the new Waverly Baby Home building at a dedication ceremony on November 28, 1931. Inscribed on the cornerstone are the words “THE BABY HOME / ERECTED 1931.” A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 371N3009 were published on Page 4 of the Oregon Journal on November 29, 1931, under the headline “New Home for Babies Dedicated.” This photograph had the following caption: “Mrs. Meier laying the cornerstone.” The photographs accompanied the continuation of a front-page story about the opening of the new building.

Dedication of giant air-mail box at 6th and Morrison, Portland

Photograph showing a small crowd at the dedication of a huge air-mail collection box on the corner of what is now Southwest Sixth Avenue and Southwest Morrison Street. Standing in front of the box and holding a large prop key are Dr. L. T. Jones (left), president of the Portland Exchange Club, and John M. Jones, Portland postmaster. The box was set up by the exchange club to collect mail that would be carried east by the Varney air-mail service. The box was equipped with a loudspeaker to broadcast messages about air mail. The dedication took place on September 3, 1929.