Convent of the Good Shepherd

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Convent of the Good Shepherd

Equivalent terms

Convent of the Good Shepherd

Associated terms

Convent of the Good Shepherd

1 Collections results for Convent of the Good Shepherd

1 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Convent of the Good Shepherd

Photograph showing the Convent of the Good Shepherd under construction on Dekum Avenue (now North Dekum Street) in Portland in February 1917. The building is now the Rosemont Court apartments. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 8, Section 2, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, February 18, 1917, under the headline “Convent Of The Good Shepherd.” The photograph had the following caption: “The new $135,000 home of the industrial school for girls, maintained by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd, is expected to be ready for occupancy in March. The structure is fireproof throughout, built of reinforced concrete and hollow tile, with a facing of red tapestry brick. The trees in the foreground are part of an old prune orchard that formerly covered the entire site of the building. As many of the trees have been left as possible.” The photograph accompanied a story headlined “Industrial School for Girls Will Be Occupied in March.” The story included the following information about the purpose of the school: “The ordinary work of the grammar schools is paralleled as far as the ninth grade. From that grade on the school is divided, half being devoted to the usual scholastic studies and half to industrial education. The girls are taught the best methods of housework, cooking, laundry work and all such practical subjects. Those who show aptitude for music receive training in this branch, and voices that show promise are cultivated. One of the most important phases of the work of the convent is the care of wayward and refractory girls who are beyond the control of their parents or guardians. Many of the wards of the convent are brought there by their parents for their refusal to attend the public schools. Others are committed to the school by the juvenile court, and still others come of their own free will to derive the benefits of the industrial education.” Image note: The text “Home of Good Shepard [sic]” and the number 167 are written on the negative and are visible in the lower right corner of the image.